Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Has anybody tried syncing an iPad with IOS 5 to iTunes on a new PC? Does it want to wipe out the iPad's data like iOS 4 did or does it just back it up?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
You need to copy your entire iTunes library to the new computer, open iTunes with that library, and then sync your iPad.

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
You need to copy your entire iTunes library to the new computer, open iTunes with that library, and then sync your iPad.
So there is still the idea of a 'Home PC' with iOS5? I thought was over with.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
When I synced my devices to a new computer last year the only thing I lost was app folders.

I checked the box to prevent automatic syncing when devices are attached. Then I hooked up a device and transferred all purchases on the device to the computer. Then I synced it.

I had already manually copied all my media to the new computer. The media had to be re-added to the device.

Does anyone know if you do this with ios5 do you lose app folders?

windmill83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
If you want to sync then yes. What else would you be syncing with? If you don't want to sync then no then there is no "Home PC".
I thought that iOS5 would make the iPad an independent device. Think of it this way. If I buy a new external hard drive to back up my PC, it will not try to wipe out the contents of my PC when I create the backup. In fact, I can back up my PC to as many external hard drives as I want. Why should syncing the iPad be any different?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I thought that iOS5 would make the iPad an independent device. Think of it this way. If I buy a new external hard drive to back up my PC, it will not try to wipe out the contents of my PC when I create the backup. In fact, I can back up my PC to as many external hard drives as I want. Why should syncing the iPad be any different?

Because media companies don't want you sharing your media with other people. If you could do that, then you could take your iPad to your friend's house, hook it up to their computer, "backup" all your music to their machine, and you've just given them your entire music library!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.