Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I just purchased a 2nd thunderbolt display for my mini.

I am daisy-chaining them and the 2nd monitor will not work.

Any ideas?

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I wonder what you will do with your second display. Sell it? Or sell your current Mini and get the Mini that supports dual displays?

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I wonder what you will do with your second display. Sell it? Or sell your current Mini and get the Mini that supports dual displays?

I gotta get this 2nd display working.

I didn't feel a huge difference between the base mini (with upgrades) and the server so I am going to downgrade from the server to the mid level mini and install 8GB of ram and SSD.

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
I will be downgrading today.

The mid level model has the dual core i5 2.5Ghz.

By the way, even though you can't run the 2 displays daisy chained with the server you still can drive both displays with it. All you need to do is use the hdmi adapter that came with the server and you're up and running. What I'm not sure of is if you will be able to run at full resolution from the hdmi port.

----------

Just found it, hdmi = 1920x1200 max

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
By the way, even though you can't run the 2 displays daisy chained with the server you still can drive both displays with it. All you need to do is use the hdmi adapter that came with the server and you're up and running. What I'm not sure of is if you will be able to run at full resolution from the hdmi port.

----------

Just found it, hdmi = 1920x1200 max

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

There was no HDMI adapter included with the server. It's a mini-port to DVI adapter.

I swapped the mini already and its running beautifully on both displays! :D

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
well you guys may get that but us canadians get the mini-dp to dvi.

ScreenCap 14.png

Last edited:

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
glossy screens

I don't get it.

Rad Tech admits their own anti-glare screen protectors are worthless?

important Notes:
These films are intended for use in situations where glare from incident light prevents screen images from being viewed. Due to the nature of glass displays, anti-glare films will impart a slight prismatic effect to object edges when viewed straight-on. White backgrounds exacerbate the prismatic effect - non-white backgrounds nearly eliminate it. This effect can be minimized by reducing display brightness when indoors, and recalibrating the display after installation.

From their main page. That is not a solution, merely a workaround.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Got some more Apple goodies today.

I plan to mount my thunderbolt displays on the wall for a cleaner look. :D

vesa.jpg

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Got some more Apple goodies today.

I plan to mount my thunderbolt displays on the wall for a cleaner look. :D

Make sure you post an updated pic in the Post Your Mac Setup when you do. :D

I'm sorely tempted by a the mini and dual monitors. But my MBP does everything I need and I have no need of dual monitors in my personal life.

Maybe one day, though... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.