Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
I set two reminders for when I got to target (I had to add target as a contact) but when I got to target.. nothing happened. So what went wrong?
What setting do you have to use?

mikejd1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
I set two reminders for when I got to target (I had to add target as a contact) but when I got to target.. nothing happened. So what went wrong?
What setting do you have to use?

Gimmick feature. What makes it worse is you have to add locations in your damn contacts. I mean wtf?

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Apple really needs to re-think this app. It's sort of a half-baked idea and I don't think it was very well thought out. It needs work. Why they released it with iOS 5 the way it is, I'll never know. Rather "un-Apple-like".

It's got awesome potential, but they really need to go back to the drawing board.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
my question is, does it even work?

The general consensus seems to be, the time-based reminders work much better than the location-based reminders. The location-based reminders part of the app is what needs to be fixed/re-thought out, etc ....

WishIWasHere

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
It's worked pretty well for me when I need it to remind me to do something when I arrive or leave a place that's in my address book. I've used it quite a few times and it's come through for me. But I'm baffled as to why it lacks the power that it needs. For instance, I want it to remind me to run by the Harris Teeter two miles BEFORE I arrive home, not when I pull into the driveway. The potential is there, so I hope it will get some real improvements soon.

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
It's worked pretty well for me when I need it to remind me to do something when I arrive or leave a place that's in my address book. I've used it quite a few times and it's come through for me. But I'm baffled as to why it lacks the power that it needs. For instance, I want it to remind me to run by the Harris Teeter two miles BEFORE I arrive home, not when I pull into the driveway. The potential is there, so I hope it will get some real improvements soon.

Yeah this. So true. I tried to use the app once and it didn't remind me at all when I arrived at my location (that I had to add to contacts, that was annoying)

larig

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I have never understood this?

How do you do it?

Add the Target that you go to to your contacts.
tell siri: "when I get to Target, remind me..."
siri: "what do you what me to remind you?"
you: "get dish soap."
confirm reminder.

(target is listed in the business field in contacts).

ETA: I find that breaking up the command in two is more reliable. I use location reminders all the time, it works great.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
I use it all the time without any issues.

Yes it would be nice to be integrated with Maps so I don't have to add contact entries, but I've now added the dozen that I use regularly, and the rest I use when I leave my current location more often than not.

It's saved my bacon many times now.

I've never needed a reminder for "2 miles before I get home" as I would use a when I leave here reminder instead.

davehutch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Croxley, Herts
Might be interesting to do a comparison test with something like Location Alarm from the iTunes store.
That app does the same thing and allows you to add a point on a map and specify a radius too!

photonut1

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Location Reminders Lags

I find that when I set a location based reminder it is extremely slow at going off. For example, I set a reminder to pick something up when I leave work but the reminder doesn't go off until I'm almost home - 15 miles away from work. Why is it so slow in reminding me when I can look up where my iphone is and the GPS will pinpoint my location? Using this on the iPhone 4, anyone else having this problem?

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
To the OP: Reminders sets up a geo-fence around the location so as soon as you're detected within that geofence your notification will notify you. It works 90% of the time on my 4S.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Add the Target that you go to to your contacts.
tell siri: "when I get to Target, remind me..."
siri: "what do you what me to remind you?"
you: "get dish soap."
confirm reminder.

(target is listed in the business field in contacts).

ETA: I find that breaking up the command in two is more reliable. I use location reminders all the time, it works great.

lmao I don't have siri

Sc00tr

macrumors regular
May 28, 2011
lmao I don't have siri

You don't need siri to use reminders.

Set up the location in contacts.
Set up reminder in reminders app.
Select the reminder you just created.
Select remind me and turn on at location.
Now you can select the location from your address book

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
It is a nuisance that you have to put addresses into Contacts (so I now have a number of shops, train stations, etc, cluttering up my contacts), but otherwise I love this feature. It was the main reason I upgraded from iPhone 4 to 4S, and I use it pretty much every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.