Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Update: this was fixed in iOS 6 for me.

I was browsing my calendar next week and all of my recurring events that are set to one hour, all show up as an hour earlier next week. So I went into my settings and my phone has me in the wrong time zone. This means that when daylight savings time hits tonight (tomorrow), my time is going to be an hour off on my phone. The time zone it has me in is the same time as me until DST turns off. No DST where I live.

If I turn off "set automatically", it shows the correct time zone. And when I turn it back on, it puts me in the wrong time zone again. My spouse's phone has the same issue. And searching the web has provided me with examples of a couple of other people this has happened to with the update of iOS 5.

Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
The problem isn't a DST issue, the problem is that it has me in the wrong time zone. I am only noticing because my time zone does not use DST and the time zone it has me in does. So, it's changing all my appointment times by an hour for anything starting tomorrow or later. If we had DST here, I likely wouldn't have noticed a problem.

I found someone else with the issue on another forum and they are now in a time zone that's 2 hours off from theirs. I don't know where they are located.

<-- I'm in Canada.

andrize

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
I am in Los Angeles and right after 1:59am it went to 1:00am. The problem is that an hour and a half later, the clock said 1:30am. I went to my settings and it was set on automatic but with my time zone as "Anchorage".

When I toggled it off, the time zone corrected to Los Angeles, as did the clock. I did this several times back and forth, and my phone still seems to believe I'm in Anchorage.

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do a hard reset and the problem will be gone.

TImm3h

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This is ridiculous. I live in est and it now says I am in Halifax time

The stupid bug still exists

cactuslick

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
I was having the same problem (near Los Angeles, but phone was showing Anchorage timezone) but resetting the phone seems to have fixed it.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I went to sleep in Toronto and woke up in Halifax, according to my 4S.
Very disappointed in Apple:
1. Ruined Address Book and iCal.
2. Setup of my first @me email
3. Ruined Expose.
4. Echo and static on Bluetooth calls on 4S

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Ha too funny. Me and my iPhone 4 have been in Phoenix for the last few days. Up until last night iOS 5 thought I was in Cupertino. This morning after being woken up an hour early and then toggling "Set Automatically" a couple times it thinks I'm in Denver. But hey the time is actually right, oh except if I look at the day view on the calendar then the time is an hour fast. Quite the vote of confidence that Apple actually knows what they're doing. :-(

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
I've restarted and reset my phone and my iPad several times and it has not resolved the issue for me. My phone has me in the time zone to the west of me, my iPad has me in the time zone to the east of me.

Last edited:

phaggard

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Make sure you are doing a complete hard reset vice a power off by holding the power button and home button until the apple appears.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I had a similar problem.

When I woke up my iPhone's time zone was set to Denver (I'm in California). Even though my phone recognized the end of DST, it was still an hour fast!

Switching off "Set time automatically" temporarily resolved the issue, but it switched back to Denver when I re-enabled that option. Once I restarted the iPhone it shows the correct time zone in either setting.

Last time I use my iPhone alarm on a night when the clocks change.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Same thing for me...went to sleep in Phoenix, woke up in Denver. It's not a big deal since PHX and Denver are in MST, but come March, I hope it corrects back to Phoenix since we don't observe DST here.

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Just two issues for me.

Every cellphone I've had simply just got the time from the network automatically, no need for me to do anything when I travel. I do travel fairly frequently and now just expect my phone to show me the correct time where ever I am.

The other hoser is if you make an appointment from your phone it's potentially screwed. Appointments I made from the iPhone up until it moved me to Denver are all an hour off. Fortunately that's only a handful and easily fixable right now. Anyway just yet another thing to try to remember. Oh wait isn't it supposed to "just work" ? :-/

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Ya, I've done restart, reset, airplane mode on/off, turn off/on 3G (my network needs 3G to work) but I'm still in the wrong time zone. I have to have it set manually right now, unless I want the time and all my calendar events to be wrong. There are some events I'm still not sure are correct and I'm going to have to spend part of the morning confirming appointment times. My recurring events look fine though as long I keep it in manual time mode.

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Are others still having this issue? Both my phone and iPad are both in wrong time zones still (different times zones from each other, they are on different networks). Restarting, resetting, toggling airplane mode, toggling 3G, etc. does not solve the issue. 2 other phones in my family have the same problem.

I did report it to Apple via their iPhone feedback form. Perhaps I should call them. Has anyone else called to see what they say?

SnowDX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
The Great White North
Has anyone else reported this to Apple or their provider? My provider won't help as they say I'm the only one with the issue so just put the phone in manual time. The non-Apple devices in the house have the correct time zone. iOS devices on 2 different cellular carriers are having the problem. I'd like to get them out of manual time as the time drifts on these devices if not getting updated via the network. Plus, network time is great for travelling.

flowers

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Hello , I have also same question.
Just an upgrade that this was set with iOS 6 for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.