Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Hi there,

For some reason I can't delete a certain file.

It's currently in the trash, but I can't empty it from the trash: normally or securely.

Anyone able to help me out?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 12.36.59 .png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 12.36.59 .png
    20.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 12.37.17 .png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-06 at 12.37.17 .png
    25.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I had a very similar problem with a stubbon file. I followed these instructions and the file was no more.

Start by creating a new user in the Accounts System Preferences panel. It doesn’t really matter what name or access level you give the new account; it’s going to have a very short existence. Once the account is created, move the troublesome file from the trash into the /Users/Shared folder. Now (via Fast User Switching or a traditional logout/login), log in as the new user. Open the /Users/Shared folder, and move the troublesome file into the new user’s trash.

Now logout of the new account and log back into your main account. Return to the Accounts pane in System Preferences, select the account you just created, and click the minus sign (or just hit Delete). The system will put up a dialog box asking if you’re sure you want to do this, with three options: Cancel, OK, and Delete Immediately. Select Delete Immediately, and the troublesome file (along with the new user and the disk space they used) will disappear. (If you just press OK, the files from the deleted user will still reside on your drive.)

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

-Open the Terminal application
-Enter the following: sudo rm -rf (followed by a single space)
-Open the Finder window that contains the file you want to delete, in this case, Trash.
-Drag the file into the Terminal window. This will input the file's path to the command line.
-When this is done press backspace ONCE to remove the space at the end of the line.
-Press Enter.
-Authenticate and the files should be removable.

sludeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
Thx guys. Your solutions didn't help, but via terminal I found out where the file was located.

It was a bootcamp file in the .trashes folder. Don't know why I couldn't delete it, but booted into windows and found the file directly and deleted it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.