PDA

View Full Version : Apple forgot to pay their TV bill......

djsincla
Oct 10, 2002, 09:45 PM
Tonight's Friends featured what looked like a peice of duct tape over the Apple logon on a Apple PowerBook.

Also tonight's CSI Vegas feature another Powerbook with a Police star taped over the Apple Logo.

Hope they pay their bill soon.

Dwayne:(

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Oct 10, 2002, 11:33 PM
Well.....Lex Luther on Smallville definately is not using a TiBook anymore....

monkeydo_jb
Oct 10, 2002, 11:39 PM
I caught both of the instances you guys are talking about. Lex had a PB last season now he has one of those thick gateway knock-offs, blech! I also saw once last season on smallville Lex had something covering the apple logo in a couple episodes. Does apple dislike the free publicity or what?!?

-jeff

Hemingray
Oct 11, 2002, 12:21 AM
I've noticed this too... everywhere I see a Mac now on TV, it's covered up! I don't get it; is it Apple forcing them to do it or are the shows just taking it upon themselves to do it to prevent free publicity for Apple?

szark
Oct 11, 2002, 12:47 AM
I know that some networks and production companies used to have a policy that prevented them from referencing or using real products/logos in their programs. With all of the product placement these days, I'm not sure that still exists, but it could be the reason.

Also, MSNBC provides a link between Friends and Microsoft...:eek: ;)

Rower_CPU
Oct 11, 2002, 11:19 AM
TV shows have no reason to display a product's logo if they are not being compensated.

They like the design of the PB so it gets used a lot. It only gets to be seen on shows like "Sex in the City"...

Doctor Q
Oct 11, 2002, 12:15 PM
Smallville suggestions:

* Since Lex isn't using his PowerBook, Lex's father should borrow it and try out the Universal Access features, since he is now visually handicapped.

* Chloe Sullivan should upgrade the CRT iMac in her news office to a 17" LCD model.

Mr. Anderson
Oct 11, 2002, 12:28 PM
I have to admit the duct tape was pretty lame. I've seen others that have the apple logo covered and you can't tell that something was there at all.

SITC - they constantly show the Apple Logo - and in one episode it was painted pink to go with theme.

D

SilvorX
Oct 11, 2002, 12:47 PM
there have been tv shows where they used fake os's if they were showing the screen, such as a pc (with a pc tower) with an os9 like interface...but still looks fake

dotcomlarry
Oct 11, 2002, 01:39 PM
"The Agency" (10 PM EST Saturday, CBS) uses a TiBook every so often, and doesn't cover up the Apple logo. Also, "CSI: Miami" has one or two LCD iMacs in one of the rooms at the lab.

blackpeter
Oct 11, 2002, 01:44 PM
I'm always seeing an ad for NFL Fantasy Football on ESPN. It's got Peyton Manning (QB for the Colts) checking the site on a TiBook. Duct-tape is covering the Apple logo.

I don't know what's up, but it might be an Apple thing indeed. A lot of rap videos have to cover up the multitude of brand logos that appear on the artists and their "posse." This mostly because the brands want control of how they present the product.

Seems like Apple would want to do the same, but I have to agree that it's a bad move. Most of it's products look good in any situation*

peterjhill
Oct 11, 2002, 01:54 PM
Add Trading spaces to the list. Guinevievieieie (however you spell it) was using a Ti book, but had the logo covered, you could barely tell it was there, unless you knew to look.

RBMaraman
Oct 11, 2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
Add Trading spaces to the list. Guinevievieieie (however you spell it) was using a Ti book, but had the logo covered, you could barely tell it was there, unless you knew to look.

I noticed that the other day. Last season she was using an iBook. I guess she decided to upgrade over the summer. Also, the episode I saw her with the TiBook, the logo was not covered, and when the homeowner asked about her computer, she said, "A Mac allows me to express my creative side."

uhlawboi80
Oct 11, 2002, 03:32 PM
i've only noticed the logo covered in a few places, but i am not always that observant of TV shows. I would go with the guess that apple is just trying to control its exposure for some odd reason (maybe Jobs will tell us soon:p )

oh, and boys and girls...its Sex AND the City, not IN :D

ibookin'
Oct 11, 2002, 04:07 PM
I saw a TiPB on "The West Wing" in a few episodes last season.

evildead
Oct 11, 2002, 05:15 PM
Apple may not have made them cover it up... they just do it to aviod problems. If Apple asked me to put their stuff on my show... they pay me. If I use their stuff on my show with out asking... they might make me pay them... or if they dont like my show... then Im in troble. They do that for most product that dont have paid placement. Ever notice how they old a coke can on TV... turned to the side with their hands covering the logo.. you can tell what it is.... but its enuph to keep out of trouble.

medea
Oct 11, 2002, 06:02 PM
it's probably for the same reason that you see the trademarks on things like shirts or jackets blurred out in music videos .

rugby
Oct 11, 2002, 08:55 PM
I remember one episode of Sex in the City that actually caught my attention. Sarah Jessica Parker's pbg3 died and her and her fiance brought it to the Apple store. Her fiance was trying to act all geeky and the guy behind the counter (typing on a G4 tower and an Apple lcd screen) was so condescending it was hilarious.

The biggest laugh was when she was told to backup to a zip drive because it was more reliable than a hard drive.

sickboy_osX
Oct 11, 2002, 09:23 PM
Yay for the Click of Death!!!
"Sir how much should I use a Zip Drive"
"How Valuable is your Data?"
"What??? It is the back bone of my whole business"
"Well then I would buy 2 or 3 of the Zip Drives"

I dont remember where I saw it, but there was an Apple Logo on the Sopranos either Last Season or the Season Before,

And I saw an Apple, and the girl had taped over her Apple on her TiBook in the Middle of a Political Science Debate a few weeks ago, and I saw it and I was sad, because I was drooling from 50 or 60 feet away.

benixau
Oct 11, 2002, 10:45 PM
oh apple, why must you do this. Let people use it. Any publicity (except for streakers) is good publicity. And the more people like your machines the more tey will go and buy them. I had a friend who saw the pb on smallville. He went and spent AU$8000 on one a week and one day later. Why one day??? Couldn't miss smallville could we now .....................

In all we want to know, why :confused: :confused: :confused:

tjwett
Oct 12, 2002, 01:44 AM
Mind of the Married Man has been featuring Macs like crazy lately. All the dudes in Mickey's office are using PowerBooks and they are even going out of their way to make that glowing Apple logo very visible. A VERY good show by the way.

tjwett
Oct 12, 2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by rugby
I remember one episode of Sex in the City that actually caught my attention. Sarah Jessica Parker's pbg3 died and her and her fiance brought it to the Apple store. Her fiance was trying to act all geeky and the guy behind the counter (typing on a G4 tower and an Apple lcd screen) was so condescending it was hilarious.

The biggest laugh was when she was told to backup to a zip drive because it was more reliable than a hard drive.

yeah, the boyfriend did a CTRL+ALT+DELETE and she wound up with a sad Mac. After finding out the boyfriend was a PC user the guy at the computer store stated: "You two are just not compatible." Very funny.

benixau
Oct 12, 2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by tjwett
Mind of the Married Man has been featuring Macs like crazy lately. All the dudes in Mickey's office are using PowerBooks and they are even going out of their way to make that glowing Apple logo very visible. A VERY good show by the way.

Dont let apple know or else .......

Doctor Q
Oct 12, 2002, 03:42 PM
I love Jimmy Fallon's Saturday Night Live skit where he plays wonderfully condescending Nick Burns, "your company computer guy". They haven't done one so far this season, but I hope they will, since Fallon is back in the cast this year.

Many (but not all) computer references in the skit are Mac-oriented. Here are excerpts from one:

Horatio Sanz as an employee: "I'm having trouble with my printer. All my stuff keeps going on that printer in marketing. ... It would be easier if it were here. I had my print monitor up here."

Jimmy Fallon as Nick Burns: "Tried to use the print monitor huh? That didn't work did it? Print monitor, no. That's cause the print monitor monitors the document you're printing. It doesn't tell the printer the direction it's going to go to. ... Obviously, you go to your chooser, go to the printer, pick your zone, and pick your printer."

LethalWolfe
Oct 13, 2002, 04:41 PM
It's hard to tell why the Apple logo is covered up. It's either 'cause Apple doesn't want their logo used, or 'cause Apple won't pay for shows/movies to use their logo. Or a mixture of both.

As far as Mtv blurring stuff out... Mtv has a policy of "no advertising" through it's videos so that's why they blur out name brands and the like.

Lethal

LethalWolfe
Oct 13, 2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
It's hard to tell why the Apple logo is covered up. It's either 'cause Apple doesn't want their logo used, or 'cause the producers don't want to give away advertising (especially w/how product placement is taking off) and Apple doesn't want to pay. Or a mixture of both.

As far as Mtv blurring stuff out... Mtv has a policy of "no advertising" through it's videos so that's why they blur out name brands and the like.

Lethal

EDIT: clarity.