Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone else notice when you tell Siri to set an Alarm, it sets a new one? I just checked my alarms in the clock app, and I have almost 20 different alarms.

Why cant she just change the time on a previos alarm and not create an endless list of different alarm times? Am I doing something wrong?

Sakic10

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
if you tell siri to "show you your alarms" first

then say "change one"

you can change individual ones, not sure if that can be simplified by giving the alarms names?

I just was testing stuff out but im sure it can be done

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
if you say set 6:00 pm alarm and there is one she will just turn it on. if you say new alarm she will make a new one. You can tell her to turn one off or delete one or all of them.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
if you say set 6:00 pm alarm and there is one she will just turn it on. if you say new alarm she will make a new one. You can tell her to turn one off or delete one or all of them.

Before I noticed this phenomenon, I would say "set alarm for 8:00p.m."

I assumed it would change the previous alarm time to this new one.

This is strange behavior....it should only create a new alarm if you say, "create NEW alarm for 8:00p.m."

Not a big deal if it doesn't suck any additional resources from the phone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I don't think it's a phenomenon but I also thought if you viewed your alarms before you changed them and then told Siri to change one then it would behave how you think it should behave. I always thought Siri's default was "new" no matter what.

pseudonymph

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
you can always say "turn on my 8pm alarm" instead (should you have an 8pm alarm already in your clock app)

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Again, it's not a big deal. It just operates way differently than any alarm clock I've ever used. Most alarm clocks have 1 or 2 alarms. With the iPhone, you can have one for each minute of the day.

Using your logic, why not just have 1,440 default alarms (one for each minute). Then I can just say, "turn on my 7:48 a.m. alarm"

Also, what's the point of Siri if I have to view my alarms first, before I use Siri to change an existing alarm?

Again, I would think, "set alarm for 8:00a.m." is fairly self explanary. Using a standard alarm clock on a night stand, the default alarm would change to 8:00a.m. (not create a new one).

It really isn't a big deal, until I actually open the alarm in clock.app and I see 20+ alarms all turned off.

As a pilot, I work weird hours with varying wake up times, so I often have to set my alarm to a different times, using Siri...I now have a ton of alarms created.

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Again, it's not a big deal. It just operates way differently than any alarm clock I've ever used. Most alarm clocks have 1 or 2 alarms. With the iPhone, you can have one for each minute of the day.

Using your logic, why not just have 1,440 default alarms (one for each minute). Then I can just say, "turn on my 7:48 a.m. alarm"

Also, what's the point of Siri if I have to view my alarms first, before I use Siri to change an existing alarm?

Again, I would think, "set alarm for 8:00a.m." is fairly self explanary. Using a standard alarm clock on a night stand, the default alarm would change to 8:00a.m. (not create a new one).

It really isn't a big deal, until I actually open the alarm in clock.app and I see 20+ alarms all turned off.

As a pilot, I work weird hours with varying wake up times, so I often have to set my alarm to a different times, using Siri...I now have a ton of alarms created.

I understand what you're saying but like you said, most alarm clocks only have 1 or 2 alarms. With the alarm clock in iPhone you can set weekday alarms, weekend alarms, etc. When you say "create an alarm" Siri takes the literal meaning of "create" to make a new alarm.

Try saying change an alarm - Siri will present you with all of your alarms and then you can tap which one you want to change and you can tell her what's the new time you want.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.