Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrspoons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
I've currently got an old G4 mac mini that I'm using as my itunes server and general downloading machine which serves two apple tvs and the itunes library is stored on a NAS.

What I'm looking at doing is replacing the mini, NAS and one of the ATVs with a new(ish) mini which will be hooked up directly to the TV through HDMI.

This might be a very stupid question but will I be able to run plex on the machine and still have Itunes running in the background to enable the ATV upstairs to stream from it?

I'm also guessing that Plex will be able to read everything in my existing Itunes library apart from items I've bought due to the DRM?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a Mac mini connected via HDMI to my HDTV. I run Plex on it, with content stored on the mini, two external drives and a MBP. I use an audio cable to connect the mini to my stereo system. I can watch stored movies and TV shows or streamed content from the web via Plex. I can also switch the speakers to receive iTunes music via an AirPort Express. The setup with Plex was quite simple and the interface is excellent. The whole setup works extremely well. I elected not to get an ATV2, because it's too limited in movie file types iTunes will accept. With Plex, I can play MP4, MKV, AVI, protected M4V, etc. and the interface is far more elegant than iTunes.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This might be a very stupid question but will I be able to run plex on the machine and still have Itunes running in the background to enable the ATV upstairs to stream from it?

Yes.

I'm also guessing that Plex will be able to read everything in my existing Itunes library apart from items I've bought due to the DRM?

Correct.

mrspoons

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2010
cheers for the replies - just need to convince her indoors now about the whole thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.