Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ayrton

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Hello,

I have an imac 2011 21 inch. This imac has 16GB of ram. Lion 10.7.2 is running on the imac.
All works great. But, I want to have 5 users setup on this imac. 3 kids, my wife and myself.

I have created the user accounts and the profiles, but the imac is really struggling with the multiuser setup.
I noticed many beachballs during fast user switching, which are 'solved' by pressing the mute or volume up/down buttons. During this, mouse/beachball is moving.

I have reinstalled the imac last week and now even more strange issues: fast user switching is now really messed up, the swap screen (moving between user screen) keeps swapping... and after about 10 minutes the screen goes complete blank. Mouse is black and still moving.
Already reset SMC and PRAM/NVRAM. Nothing is working.

I'm really struggling with this. Is there somebody that has seen this issue or has solved the issue?
I NOW have decided to disable the fast user switching to check if that might help.

I have even run the AHT to verify all hardware, no issues found. All my MacBooks don't have these issues, but they don't have a multi user environment.

Can somebody advise me what to do? Looking at the hardware, the iMac is 100%.

Disabling Fast User Switching didn't help. Same issue occured. It all happens when I try to wake the iMac from sleep. The main logon screen is shown and the screen tries to switch, and keeps doing that. I got to fix this, but how? Don't let the iMac go to sleep? is that the solution????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.