Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xchaotic

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Hi.

I was a bit uneasy about having Time Capsule as my only backup.
It's an old 500GB version that had the PSU fail on me once already.
My current setting is such that I perform backups to the Time Capsule as usual, but I also use free CrashPlan to backup to my PC sitting in another building.
This is all nice and good, but at the moment the PC is not backed up at all.
I also happen to have a spare 2TB drive that I got at pre-flood prices and I'm thinking of upgrading the Time Capsule and partitioning the drive so that 500-700GB serves as Time Capsule for my two macs and the other TB is for backing up the PC.
How should I partition the drive, physically?
I have a 13"MBP and a PC, but no USB or FW enclosure, so I can connect the drive the the PC easily, but plugging in to the MBP would probably mean some small investment, I guess?
The time Capsule actually does show up in Disk Utility when connected wirelessly, but I guess it would be too good to be able to format the drive like that?

Another question about that project is that typically Crash Plan let's you backup to another computer running crashplan or to a local folder, but not sure if it allows to backup to a path on a network, how could I work around that? It looks like I might be be able to map that TC partition to a virtual drive on a PC and backup to that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.