Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goudaphunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Good Morning all. I teach fourth grade and I am looking to use my ATV in my classroom. I currently own an iPad 2 and bought a generation 2 ATV, along with my flat screen TV.

The problem that I am having is that I cannot enable Airplay on my iPad to mirror wirelessly to my television via ATV. I know that you double click the home button and scroll right to see the airplay icon, but nothing is coming up. I have home sharing enabled on my ATV and on my iTunes account at school, both using the same email address. My software is up-to-date on all devices, so I know that's not the issue.

I read somewhere that I may have to purchase a micro UBS and sync the ATV with my iTunes. Is there any truth to that? I would appreciate any feedback that you can give me. I am trying to get this up and running in my classroom.

Thanks for your time and help! I really appreciate it.

Jimmy

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
They both have to be on the same network (check they're on the same subnet). Also try rebooting both and make sure the OS is the latest.

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
This sounds downright dangerous and irresponsible. I'd be concerned with things like gas fumes, not to mention someone getting run over.

goudaphunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010

goudaphunk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Is the iPad is running iOS 5? Did you reboot both? Homeshare turned on on the ATV2?

Try connecting the ATV2 via wired Ethernet.

My iPad is running iOS 5. I did reboot both and I tried to connect via Ethernet. This is so perplexing to me. I really don't have a solution.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Forgot to mention that, yes, they are both on the same network.

What is being used for wireless access? Is this a school run commercial router/access point? If so, they may have ports blocked preventing the access you need.

This link may be of help to your network admin.

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
This sounds downright dangerous and irresponsible. I'd be concerned with things like gas fumes, not to mention someone getting run over.

lol i hope you are joking or i would suggest getting some help.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm not at home so I can't look at my :apple:TV to confirm but don't you actually have to enable AirPlay on the :apple:TV itself in one of the Settings menus? Have you made sure that it is turned on?

sulliweb

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Are you sure that you're on the same network? Just because you're in the same building doesn't mean you're on the same network. I'd check with your local IT staff to be sure, but a lot of the time, schools will VLAN out wireless to segregate it from other network traffic. If it isn't on the same broadcast subnet, it won't work.

Being a school IT guy, you should always have your IT staff involved when you're adding equipment to the network.

dsim87

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Noticed some of the previous posts say use ethernet but the AppleTV and iPad with both need to be on the same wireless network. Also make sure Airplay is turned on.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I think the original poster might have an ipad 1 instead of ipad 2

This doesn't add up

Can you airplay a YouTube video ? Or pics from camera roll ?

Steven in VA

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2009
Don't know if this helps, but I was unable to connect my iPod Touch to my MacBook Air over our school's wireless system. There's some kind of block; I don't know how it works. I'll bet that's the case at your school as well. (I worked around it by using Create Network on my MBA and joining that one with the iPod. So I have a very nice remote for my Keynote presentations. But that won't help you.)

Might your IT/tech trainer be willing to give you a hand with the process? That person almost certainly knows the key to accomplishing your goal.

mcb09

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
AppleTVs don't support enterprise wireless which is what you'd find in most schools. However, if you are managing to be on the same wireless, you probably hit the same issue that I had. Even though your AppleTV says that it is up-to-date, it really isn't on the latest version, and you need that in order to do the mirroring (I don't know why it lies to you). You read correctly about needing to buy a micro USB (though you might find one in your school with a digital camera). You have to connect your AppleTV to iTunes and run an update from there to get the needed update. This worked for me. Have fun. It's pretty cool once it works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.