Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlaprieto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
hi i need a little bit of help i am using final cut express 4 and i cant seem to find the effects i want to edit my videos i was searching through youtube to find tutorials but i ran into 3 videos with some effects i want i have played aroud with fce a little but i cant seam to find the effects and also i tried looking for some tutorials where they can show me how to make theres similar effects but i cant find any (and i dont know what these effects are called so it is harder to find what i want) also i tried yahoo answers but no one seemed to help me out much... can anyone here help me out please these are the videos and where the effects i want are located in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTlQCjlBWvA 0:48-1:24 and 1:27-1:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVuQR...feature=relmfu 0:02-0:03 and 0:05-0:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw9t5Jj5wNM 0:26-0:27 and 2:16-2:18

please someone help me i am really new to this THANKS :)

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
There are several effects shown here, but the main one you want to master is called "keying". Keying removes the background around your subject.

Shoot your subject against a green or blue screen, then use the chroma key effect in your editing program to knock out the green/blue. Once you've done that, you can stack up multiple copies of the subject at the same time and reposition them, freeze frame them, add other effects to them. Get the idea?

First get the keying down and then we can help you with the specifics of the other effects.

karlaprieto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
There are several effects shown here, but the main one you want to master is called "keying". Keying removes the background around your subject.

Shoot your subject against a green or blue screen, then use the chroma key effect in your editing program to knock out the green/blue. Once you've done that, you can stack up multiple copies of the subject at the same time and reposition them, freeze frame them, add other effects to them. Get the idea?

First get the keying down and then we can help you with the specifics of the other effects.
ohh ok thanks i will do that :D by any chance do u know maybe what kind of fabric i can use to green screen i cant paint and i need something cheap...

Kevin Monahan

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
ohh ok thanks i will do that :D by any chance do u know maybe what kind of fabric i can use to green screen i cant paint and i need something cheap...
Go to the Fabric store and get some solid green cloth. That should do! Make sure to light both the cloth and the subject.

cgbier

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2011
And light them separately. Important is that your greenscreen lighting is as even as possible, at least around your talent.

julesw

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
ikea

Hi, check out ikea they do a blanket that works well as a greenscreen
Called 'lucy' :) not sure if still available.

machomer

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Camera to use with green screen

I'm just beginning to play around with videos in imovie and green screens. Is a T2i a good camera to use? I have a 16GB SD card and it fills up quickly. Should I invest in a digital camcorder? Any advice appreciated on beginner gear for lighting as well. I also bought a Rode Mic for sound.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I'm just beginning to play around with videos in imovie and green screens. Is a T2i a good camera to use? I have a 16GB SD card and it fills up quickly. Should I invest in a digital camcorder? Any advice appreciated on beginner gear for lighting as well. I also bought a Rode Mic for sound.

The T2i is a perfectly adequate camera for videos and even professionals still use it. A (good) digital camcorder will provide you with some benefits, the most important of which for you would probably be a good autofocus system. But if you already have an external mic, and you can pull focus manually, this is a great starting set. By the way: Most camcorders also store on SD cards and wil fill them up just about as quickly. Just keep some backup cards with you.

I would much rather invest in some lights! The lighting and composition is way more important to create good cinematography than the camcorder. And the script and acting are more important when it comes to making a good movie. Please keep that in mind.
As I live in Germany, and we have completely different brands and lighting gear here, I will not recommend any specific models. But if you have the money to ask for a potential upgrade on the T2i and already have a microphone, then don't save on the lights!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.