PDA

View Full Version : Apple: Predator or Protagonist?

MacBytes
May 17, 2005, 07:37 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple: Predator or Protagonist? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050517083703)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 17, 2005, 07:43 AM
Silly article, clearly written by a Windows zealot. Stop whining. Tiger is out, and is a generation or three in front of anything Microsoft is delivering at the moment. With or without 3rd party apps and utils.

Passante
May 17, 2005, 08:04 AM
THe author should tell Bill Gates not to rush Longhorn since he can already do everything tiger does from his windows 2000 and NT machices. :rolleyes:

Mord
May 17, 2005, 08:34 AM
at least we can delete apples browser without b0rking the system up, the dashboard is a platform and apple provided some widgets, at the moment only three of my 11 open widgets are apple ones.

and building a kick ass lightning fast search function into the OS is monopolistic :rolleyes:? those utilitys he mentioned were written because windows XP's built in search sucks, so apple is pushing them out because there OS dose not suck?

and apples installed user base is about 6% (NOT marketshare which is about 4% right now) so if they doubled it would be more than a blip when you include linux users.

Dunepilot
May 17, 2005, 09:07 AM
I think the author of that piece must be a microsoft shareholder. Mac zealotry I can forgive, because there's usually something exciting to be proud of on this platform, but why on earth would you take the same approach to Windows?

And while this guy may be able to do what he wants with his XP box, fact is that you could probably do it a lot less clunkily on a Mac. Working with Windows is like being an amputee caligrapher. You can get things done, but it could be a lot easier if you didn't have to use your feet.

The point around whether Dashboard etc should be allowed to consume/assimilate Konfabulator or equivalent add-ons is a separate one. I don't like the idea that good third-party solutions end up getting eaten-up unless they're a cause of instability, and with Mac OS X this is much less often a problem than it was for OS 9, so there's not a huge amount of justification.

But I have no problem with Spotlight because, as far as I know, there wasn't anything as good for the Mac platform previously.

dukeblue91
May 17, 2005, 09:22 AM
This article was a total waist of time :mad:
This dweeb takes someone else's article and regurgitate the same nonsense.
People like him should not be allowed to write articles without actually knowing the facts, and having tried out both sites "platforms".

I do know this the M$ Fud machine is working in full cycle, they really must be scared :cool:

Sharewaredemon
May 17, 2005, 09:41 AM
This article was a total waist of time :mad:
This dweeb takes someone else's article and regurgitate the same nonsense.
People like him should not be allowed to write articles without actually knowing the facts, and having tried out both sites "platforms".

I do know this the M$ Fud machine is working in full cycle, they really must be scared :cool:

I looked at the title, and figured, hmmmm I'm gonna read the replies before reading the article just in case......

turns out I was wise in that decision.

:D

GaelDesign
May 17, 2005, 12:19 PM
Worst. Article. Ever. :rolleyes:

Aren't these news sites supposed to hire people who can actually write? This article sounds like it was written by a five-year-old.

Jared

Qunchuy
May 17, 2005, 02:56 PM
Apple could double or triple its installed base and still be little more than a tiny blip on the operating system radar. Microsoft still would control the CPU on more than 90 percent of the PCs in the world.
I thought the Macintosh installed base was something like 7-10 percent. That's already more than a "blip". Doubling/tripling it to 20 percent would likely cause Apple stock to fall drastically as anti-Apple pundits cranked up their diatribe generators to counter the news, but it would also mean a significant associated loss in the Windows installed base.

(And I suspect he's using the typical definition of "PCs in the world" which counts ATMs and point-of-sale and kiosk systems.)

avus
May 17, 2005, 04:45 PM
Worst. Article. Ever. :rolleyes:

Aren't these news sites supposed to hire people who can actually write? This article sounds like it was written by a five-year-old.

Jared

I despise journalists, analysts, critics, columnists, or whatever the title is, who only write about other people because they are so deprived of any talent themselves. There is no accountability to be even fair because they are just fillers in everyday publications. They only pretend they know better than anyone but actually they are the lowest form of professions, I put politicians, lawyers, and used-car salesmen above them.

montex
May 17, 2005, 05:45 PM
So this guy goes on and on digging Apple, but at the very end he all but admits that Windows can't live without it for fear of federal regulation. Jeez, dude, make up your mind.

I think that, deep down, all the Windows apologists know that Apple is the life blood of their platform. Without Apple the entire industry would become dull and dreary.

macnulty
May 17, 2005, 08:42 PM
"But what, exactly is new, different or revolutionary in the new operating system?" then proceeds to quote a newspaper. Intellectually lazy, I guess the author couldn't find the time to look under the hood for himself.

24C
May 22, 2005, 09:42 AM
Total waste of time looking at this, title was more interesting. Is it just me or is there more anti Apple FUD hitting the ether at the moment? Even my cousin who came round the house today said iPods were crap. Even worse his wife took one look at the Mac mini and shook her head...she didn't want to believe in that box was a computer... and it took a while for her to come round that it could replace a 4 year old Windows 2000 beige box.