Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
There have been quite a few threads on a MS Onenote alternative and to be honest none of them look like or even come close to having some of the same functions. Just by accident the other day I came across this app, and it's FREE. For you Onenote users you have to admit it even looks like it.

growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
There have been quite a few threads on a MS Onenote alternative and to be honest none of them look like or even come close to having some of the same functions. Just by accident the other day I came across this app, and it's FREE. For you Onenote users you have to admit it even looks like it.

growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html

you do realize there is no ipad app and the developer has clearly stated he has no intention of making one, right?

if you are a onenote fan, there are lots of alternatives out there, but i think the best is going to be evernote. no, it is not the same. actually, i think it is better :)

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
you do realize there is no ipad app and the developer has clearly stated he has no intention of making one, right?

if you are a onenote fan, there are lots of alternatives out there, but i think the best is going to be evernote. no, it is not the same. actually, i think it is better :)

Yes I did read where he had an iPad app about 90% done then scrapped it. As fas as alternatives, I have tried just about every one of them, and I use Evernote but there are none besides this one that looks as close to Onenote as I've ever come across. Plus, not everyone needs to sync their notes, nor have them cloud based. This was just a FREE alternative for those that like the look of Onenote.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Yes I did read where he had an iPad app about 90% done then scrapped it. As fas as alternatives, I have tried just about every one of them, and I use Evernote but there are none besides this one that looks as close to Onenote as I've ever come across. Plus, not everyone needs to sync their notes, nor have them cloud based. This was just a FREE alternative for those that like the look of Onenote.

we are in the ipad forum, though, and this isn't an ipad app :)

i have seen osx users say great things about it. i agree that this is a pretty close onenote alternative, but in my opinion, evernote is so far beyond onenote (not just with syncing) that i wouldn't consider it.

i'd also recommend considering a personal wiki like voodoopad (osx and ios) or a onenote alternative on the ipad like notebooks.

Buildbright

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2011
Sadly nothing compares to one note. Evernote tries but it falls short and most one note users agree.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Sadly nothing compares to one note. Evernote tries but it falls short and most one note users agree.

that's cool. i guess most one note users would agree ith you, since they ar using one note, but i would say most former users disagree, and think there are better programs out there, including evernote.

in the case of the ipad (this forum), there is no fully functioning app, so one note is useless.

in the case of the mac (this site) the us no one not app at ll, so it is even more useless.

i used one note for years. eventually, i got so frustrated with it that i transferred out of it. one note is good for many things, and is certainly an impressive piece of software, but it is far from perfect. i prefer evernote for many reasons. i suppose people will have their likes and dislikes when it comes to functions.

in the end, though, there is one obvious benefit that simply cannot be denied: evernote syncs and is available anytime and anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.