PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Introduces Worldwide VoIP Calling App

MacRumors
Nov 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/att-introduces-worldwide-voip-calling-app/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/voip-150x149.jpg

AT&T has launched a new app (http://gigaom.com/2011/11/08/att-enables-international-calling-with-new-mobile-voip-app/) to allow its customers to make inexpensive international calls over Wi-Fi. With the AT&T Call International (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/att-call-international) app, customers can get the "lowest international calling rates" that AT&T offers.

Calls to the UK, for example, cost $0.04/minute for calls to wireline numbers and $0.27/minute for calls to mobile phones. Calls to China are $0.04/minute. The price list for all countries is available here (http://www.callinternational.att.com/howItWorks/howItWorks.htm).

Pricing is competitive with other VoIP calling apps like Vonage (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/03/vonage-introduces-iphone-voip-app-with-free-15-minute-call/) -- though having a major name like AT&T stand behind the app may make some users more comfortable than making calls with a lesser known name.

Within the United States, calls are placed like a normal cellular call -- no Wi-Fi required, and a nice feature compared to making calls on other VoIP apps -- but outside the U.S. all calls are placed only via Wi-Fi.

The AT&T Call International app is free to download (http://appshopper.com/social-networking/att-call-international) -- call charges are applied to a credit card, not the user's AT&T phone bill, with no monthly fee or minimum charges.

Article Link: AT&T Introduces Worldwide VoIP Calling App (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/08/att-introduces-worldwide-voip-calling-app/)

coder12
Nov 8, 2011, 01:17 PM
This best for those who have the unlimited data plan.
Waaaaaiiit a second.

In all seriousness, Google Voice has already been doing this for me for a long time.

cajun67
Nov 8, 2011, 01:19 PM
Why would I want to pay for data usage a second time? VOIP calls should be free.

And while we're on the subject, Apple should break out the VOIP portion of FaceTime so that Mac and iOS users can make free VOIP calls to each other.

AND Apple needs to allow us to make FaceTime calls over the cellular data network. AT&T has done away with their unlimited data plan, so there's no reason to hold back now.

benji888
Nov 8, 2011, 01:24 PM
ONE question: don't some countries block voip calls??

specifically, what about Airtel-India?

ericrwalker
Nov 8, 2011, 01:28 PM
Seems like a decent deal, but AT&T is already limiting most of us to 2GB of data. I will stick with google voice to make international calls (which calls a local number).

Will do good
Nov 8, 2011, 01:35 PM
Why use ATT? They are so late to the party.

benji888
Nov 8, 2011, 01:38 PM

it may actually work whereas Skype either doesn't work at all or hit or miss at best.

doug in albq
Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
Take a look at the icon for the app...

I like how there are TWO separate gloss effects applied, one on top of the other, and not the same shape on the bottom arc.

I wonder how much AT&T pays their team of app developers/visual designers...? Idiots!

Icaras
Nov 8, 2011, 01:39 PM
delete

lsbuffs
Nov 8, 2011, 01:41 PM
May just be me, but keep getting 'invalid credit card number' when trying to create account on this app.

Edit: I was able to complete set up using another VISA. Not sure why it wouldn't take the first one.

gpat
Nov 8, 2011, 01:44 PM
AT&T acts evil = complain
AT&T does something good for once = complain

Come on.

HoopTrundler
Nov 8, 2011, 01:45 PM
Why would I want to pay for data usage a second time? VOIP calls should be free.

And while we're on the subject, Apple should break out the VOIP portion of FaceTime so that Mac and iOS users can make free VOIP calls to each other.

AND Apple needs to allow us to make FaceTime calls over the cellular data network. AT&T has done away with their unlimited data plan, so there's no reason to hold back now.

I think Apple is holding off on allowing FaceTime over 3G because it would be laggy.

Blakjack
Nov 8, 2011, 01:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow AT&T...Really? Who's actually going to use this?!

ladeer
Nov 8, 2011, 01:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This best for those who have the unlimited data plan.
Waaaaaiiit a second.

In all seriousness, Google Voice has already been doing this for me for a long time.

Please read the article. You are NOT using data when you are in US, but using your airtime (dial to a number like SkyPe Mobile service).
This is HUGE!! It means I can call international numbers at much lower rate without worrying about having wifi. I am very surprised AT&T would do this!

ladeer
Nov 8, 2011, 01:48 PM

You don't use data

mkrishnan
Nov 8, 2011, 01:50 PM
^^ You're not using data whether in the US or not. It works over WiFi outside the US (and over voice cell in the US).

Does the fact that it costs three times as much to call a mobile in the UK as it does a mobile in India and almost seven times as much as a mobile in China have something to do with tariffs?

I don't make international calls, but it looks like AT&T has a nice offering. Now if they really liked me they'd just give me an option to route all the calls I make from my phone to VOIP and pay the lower rate without needing the app (and work with Apple to integrate the WiFi calling so that the phone just made WiFi calls when appropriate, again without needing an app), but still, this is a nice step.

Rocketman
Nov 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
^^ You're not using data whether in the US or not. It works over WiFi outside the US (and over voice cell in the US).

Does the fact that it costs three times as much to call a mobile in the UK as it does a mobile in India and almost seven times as much as a mobile in China have something to do with tariffs?

I don't make international calls, but it looks like AT&T has a nice offering. Now if they really liked me they'd just give me an option to route all the calls I make from my phone to VOIP and pay the lower rate without needing the app (and work with Apple to integrate the WiFi calling so that the phone just made WiFi calls when appropriate, again without needing an app), but still, this is a nice step.Phone is an Apple app, but your point is well taken. I think the incentive to get a significant portion of voice plan charges, overrides Apple's interest in simplicity and seamlessness and frictionless, in this case. :D

Rocketman

benji888
Nov 8, 2011, 01:58 PM

and, as has already been pointed out...if you READ how this app works, calls from the US are made using your wireless minutes NOT wifi. This is a big advantage!:D

And I just got done chatting w/AT&T, Airtel does not block voip calls (I had so much trouble before w/skype and such), and also, your phone number will show on receiver's phone:)...I think the fact that Skype (and other tries) had no phone number attached to them, and this was the big problem for me.

mkrishnan
Nov 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
Phone is an Apple app, but your point is well taken. I think the incentive to get a significant portion of voice plan charges, overrides Apple's interest in simplicity and seamlessness and frictionless, in this case. :D

Actually, if I understand it right, for making the call inside the US, this really doesn't need a phone-side app or a modification to the Phone.app at all -- AT&T could do that entirely from their end. They just put the call through on VOIP and charge you accordingly whenever possible.

For the WiFi part of the service... If I'm excused for sounding like an anti-Apple fanboy (I've never owned an Android), I think that there are some phones outside the iPhone that have VOIP integrated into their phone calling system already? Yes, absolutely, it's something Apple would have to design. You could imagine that they could create the system inside the Phone app and then allow the service providers to use it if they want (and usually this is the part where I snark that it will be available in every major market except the US). Then, you could download Google Voice or Skype or what have you if you want, and/or you could flip a switch to let your phone use VOIP as necessary.

hassiman
Nov 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
Am I incorrect in thinking that FaceTime allows international video calls for free? FaceTime would be VOiP or VO&ViP calls.;)

jav6454
Nov 8, 2011, 02:13 PM

AT&T offers me cheaper rates to call Honduras than Skype does (AT&T $0.15/min vs Skype $0.38/min)

That's a 50% savings... even after taxes factored in.

Me... bye Skype

ericrwalker
Nov 8, 2011, 02:21 PM
Great rate, even google voice is $0.19/min. They have good call quality too. Let us know how the quality is on this new app.

AT&T offers me cheaper rates to call Honduras than Skype does (AT&T $0.15/min vs Skype $0.38/min)

tivoboy
Nov 8, 2011, 02:22 PM

I think this app only works over WIFI, so one wouldn't really use much of their cellular data plan with it.

Cheaper and easier to just setup skype, but they will get some customers for this.

IF they would move to billing to your phone number directly, these rates, using this app THAT would go a long way to pushing adoption.

Icaras
Nov 8, 2011, 02:26 PM

People who want to call abroad through wifi?

----------

I think this app only works over WIFI, so one wouldn't really use much of their cellular data plan with it.

It's only wifi if your calling to outside the US. National calling can be through 3G.

Surreal
Nov 8, 2011, 02:53 PM
In all seriousness AT&T, just allow unlocking of the iPhone.

maril1111
Nov 8, 2011, 02:54 PM

You know the thing is why go the simple way if there is a lot more difficult one :rolleyes:

Surreal
Nov 8, 2011, 03:00 PM
You know the thing is why go the simple way if there is a lot more difficult one :rolleyes:

That is what it seems like. I have AT&T and I now actually want an iPhone but simply cannot bring myself to buy one with AT&T's unlock policy. I didn't think I cared until I realized that that is the ONLY thing that gives me pause now.

Darth.Titan
Nov 8, 2011, 03:37 PM

Umm... you can do that now. Been able to for some time.

yeah
Nov 8, 2011, 04:31 PM
NICE! Cheap calling over WiFi to Europe here I come!

Oh wait, I don't have an iPhone :mad:

boazh
Nov 8, 2011, 05:19 PM

Skype is cheaper to Israel: 2.3 cents vs 15 cents with AT&T and the call quality with Skype is great, so I'm not going to bother to get this AT&T app!

ferrous
Nov 8, 2011, 05:42 PM

Skype offers much better rates with their calling plans.

cvaldes
Nov 8, 2011, 05:44 PM
NICE! Cheap calling over WiFi to Europe here I come!

Oh wait, I don't have an iPhone :mad:
You can do this with Google Voice.

Pricing depends on country, but Google Voice pricing is quite competitive. Relative to the UK pricing posted in the original article, Google Voice is $0.02 per minute to wireline numbers whereas AT&T's VoIP is $0.04. Most GV calls to UK mobiles are typically $0.10/min whereas AT&T VoIP is $0.27. Calls to China on GV are $0.02/min (either landline or mobile) whereas AT&T VoIP is $0.04/min.

You can call from your computer using the Google Talk web browser plug-in for Gmail.

If you have an iPod touch or iPad, you can use the Talkatone app to place outgoing GV VoIP calls from those devices. I use the Talkatone/GV combo on my iPod touch when I'm traveling abroad to make free calls back to the United States.

nutmac
Nov 8, 2011, 06:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YrWEN.jpg

:eek: AT&T couldn't even get countries right. South Korea has North Korean flag for crying out.

Anyway, the rates are roughly twice that of Google Voice international calling rate. AT&T should offer these rates to regular wireless customers without having to use this stupid app.

rdlink
Nov 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
"Pricing is competitive with other VoIP calling apps like Vonage -- though having a major name like AT&T stand behind the app may make some users more comfortable than making calls with a lesser known name."

What a hilarious statement. Seems to imply that AT&T is somehow a more trustworthy name than Vonage. I would open a thousand Vonage accounts before I would ever use AT&T. Slimeballs.

And international calls to most European countries are free on my Vonage account.

theBB
Nov 9, 2011, 12:00 AM
AT&T should offer these rates to regular wireless customers without having to use this stupid app.
Exactly. They say the app only uses our voice minutes in the US, then why do I need to use an app and go through these hoops? Separate sign-up, separate account, an additional bill to go through... Just let me dial and charge me the lower price. I would use another app just to spite AT&T.

Nermal
Nov 9, 2011, 12:33 AM
It doesn't seem to say this anywhere on the site, but the signup process requires a US billing address and therefore it seems that this can't be used to make cheap calls from other countries to the US.

Undecided
Nov 9, 2011, 01:06 AM
Mmm, seems like Skype is cheaper for my uses (outside the US, calling the US), and works over 3G too. Of course, over 3G, I have data usage rates too, but the ATT app doesn't even give the option outside the US.

ruftytufty
Nov 9, 2011, 01:42 AM
See on this page: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/att-call-international-application.jsp

It says (under How to Dial): "AT&T Call International App rates apply only for calls made while attached to a Wi-Fi network outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. "

and (just above "Sign up today" button): "1Regular airtime rates apply when calling from the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. A small amount of domestic data usage also applies when connecting a call.)"

Well - "regular airtime rates" on AT&T wireless to international locations are quite high - much higher than the "Call International App" rates. See: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp
Typically $1.49/minute or higher, unless you're paying the monthly World Connect Fee.

I.e. they're not just going to use up your domestic minutes to call internationally (note that while most international calls don't actually cost much, calling mobile phones in many countries is actually quite expensive to the caller, and AT&T can't avoid those rates - they're going to make you pay them).

Furthermore, (also from that first linked page): "Regular GSM international roaming charges apply for any calls received." Also quite high: $1/minute or more.

So - if I'm interpreting this correctly, this is not a replacement for a VOIP service for calling from the U.S., or even Skype calling to/from anywhere.

It lets you use reasonably-priced VOIP service when calling from outside the U.S., and the calling number will show up as your U.S. number, allowing people to call you back as a regular phone call - but you're going to get stuck with high international roaming rates when they do.

This would be useful to people who want to use and be accessible via their primary phone #, have cheaper calling rates on WiFi while abroad, and not deal (say) with Skype accounts. There are lots of business people for whom this would be an advantage - more important to be reachable, even at $1+/minute. But, it's not for anyone whose primary goal is to keep international calling costs (both from US and abroad) as low as possible.

rutledjw
Nov 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
Why was this modded down? For those who travel overseas for work, this is a total pain in the a$$. There's NO, ZERO technical reason you couldn't use a SIM card from a local carrier, but AT&T won't allow it.

Yes, I know, they cast blame at Apple. But given the behavior of AT&T I have my doubts... Loyalty is determined by how a company treats its customers. I pay a premium for what I'd consider sub-standard service. AT&T has the loyalty they've earned.

MacDarcy
Nov 9, 2011, 10:59 AM
i prefer Yahoo Voice. I only pay $2.50 a month for a valid phone number so people can call me and if i dont pick up, they can leave a voice mail in my yahoo mailbox. Calls to cell phones are real cheap with Yahoo voice out. Like 1.7 cents a minute for US calls....and the lowest rates I have seen for international calls.

Google Voice is free....but will start charging like yahoo in January. I do like that google voice not only allows people to leave an audio message in your gmail box....but it also TRANSCRIBES the voice mail! Its pretty accurate too. However, sometimes it will turn to gibberish if the person leaving the message doesnt speak clearly.

There is also an app called Whistle Phone....which gives you a number for free AND the ability to make free calls anywhere in the US. Calls can only be 20 minutes long....and u do have to listen to a quick ad before calls...but its good in a pinch. People can't leave voice messages tho. Thats why i got yahoo.

Of course there is skype. Which i do like for skyoe to skyoe calls. Lots of people around the world use it, so it's great for international connections. And unlike Apple's facetime, does allow audio only calls. Calls to cell phones using skype are more expensive than Yahoo tho...so i only use skype for skype to skype calls.

Lastly facetime is great since i am a mac user....but as popular as Apple is....many of my friends still dpnt own an iphone or ipad. Hopefully soon. Same for imessage.

I have an unlocked iphone, since i travel alot and dont like being locked into expensive contracts. I have found that VOIP apps on my iphone, ipod and ipad are all i need.

tivoboy
Nov 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
Google Voice is free....but will start charging like yahoo in January. I do like that google voice not only allows people to leave an audio message in your gmail box....but it also TRANSCRIBES the voice mail! Its pretty accurate too. However, sometimes it will turn to gibberish if the person leaving the message doesnt speak clearly.

While the official extension back in 2010 was till end of 2011, there is currently no indication that they WILL actually start charging for gv come 2012. I think they still want to get adoption up higher before pushing away users who could just move to a magicjack for free, or many other voip solution providers that charge 20$ a year or less.

vitzr
Nov 9, 2011, 11:13 AM
Every iPhone I've had from the first model, and each year thereafter, has been cheerfully unlocked by AT&T (for free) for my usage when I travel internationally.

I have had nothing but money saving experiences with AT&T, not to mention great customer service and strong clear calls.

I do realize that one gets lots of points in the Apple community, for being a false information spewing AT&T hater.

My guess is that most of the misinformation spread, comes from those who have no clue and have never traveled internationally to experience the savings and convenience that AT&T provides, as I have over the last several years.

Conversely, when using my Verizon account in the USA, I end up paying more than AT&T which I expect, since I research those who I do business with. Their selection of Android phones is worth the extra fees.

At the end of the day no company I've ever done business with, causes the rage I read about in these forums. Curious indeed.

Surreal
Nov 9, 2011, 11:18 AM
Every iPhone I've had from the first model, and each year thereafter, has been cheerfully unlocked by AT&T (for free) for my usage when I travel internationally.

[snip]
I do realize that one gets lots of points in the Apple community, for being a false information spewing AT&T hater.

[snip]

so, here is the thing, I got my information from AT&T. I called AT&T and asked what their unlock policy is. I am an AT&T customer. I called them. on the phone that has service provided BY AT&T.

The only reason I won't get an iPhone from AT&T is THAT phone call. Mind you, I called TWO weeks ago. TWO. This is not old misinformation. This is AT&T's OFFICIAL STANCE WITH PAYING CUSTOMERS. perhaps you have had luck with them, I prefer not to sign contracts with the hope that luck will be on my side.

tivoboy
Nov 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
AT&T just does not unlock the iphone. I've had business accounts, 100+ customer accounts, 120$ A month plan users accounts, they just don't unlock it at all.

If anyone tells you they had AT&T unlock an iphone you should tell them to immediately give you lotto numbers.

mkrishnan
Nov 9, 2011, 11:57 AM

You're the first person I can recall who related an experience like this, with everyone else's being:

AT&T just does not unlock the iphone. I've had business accounts, 100+ customer accounts, 120$ A month plan users accounts, they just don't unlock it at all.

I haven't asked AT&T to unlock my phone, but what's your (vitzr) secret? And when they unlock your phone, do they do something (like has been implied is possible with the iPhone 4S) that allows you to use non-AT&T SIMs outside the US but won't allow the use of a non-AT&T American SIM? Or do they just unlock the phone altogether?

I'll be traveling abroad with an iPhone most likely next year, and I'd love to avail myself of this if I could.

tivoboy
Nov 9, 2011, 12:17 PM
I'll be traveling abroad with an iPhone most likely next year, and I'd love to avail myself of this if I could.

IF you find the way, you're going to be travelling FIRST CLASS with all the money you'll be able to make selling the solution on ebay and craigslist.

I'm in for a c-note when you find the solution. ;-):cool:

ruftytufty
Nov 9, 2011, 01:27 PM

Just to be clear - were you actually able to use a foreign SIM card in your phone?

evillageprowler
Nov 9, 2011, 01:34 PM
Forgive me for asking a question not strictly pertaining to unlocking...

If I'm overseas with wifi, can I use this app to call the US over VOIP? If not, what are my best (call quality and price) options?

TIA,

EVP

ruftytufty
Nov 9, 2011, 01:42 PM
@evillageprowler

Yes - .10 per minute (rather high).

You can look up rates to any country by going to the main page:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/att-call-international-application.jsp

and following the "see rates to all countries" link.

cvaldes
Nov 9, 2011, 02:22 PM
Forgive me for asking a question not strictly pertaining to unlocking...

If I'm overseas with wifi, can I use this app to call the US over VOIP? If not, what are my best (call quality and price) options?

TIA,

EVP
For calling the US from abroad (VoIP over WiFi), your best option is Google Voice (free) via the Talkatone app (free). I've done this on several international trips with my iPod touch. You don't even need the latest and greatest hardware nor iOS 5.

You can use the Google Voice app (free) to text (free).

mkrishnan
Nov 9, 2011, 02:28 PM
For calling the US from abroad (VoIP over WiFi), your best option is Google Voice (free) via the Talkatone app (free). I've done this on several international trips with my iPod touch. You don't even need the latest and greatest hardware nor iOS 5.

Wow, $0.01 a minute. Not bad. Google's rates are impressive all around.

nburwell
Nov 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
No thanks. I'll stick with Skype for my VoIP calls.

cvaldes
Nov 9, 2011, 03:36 PM
Wow, $0.01 a minute. Not bad. Google's rates are impressive all around.
Interesting. The 1-cent per-minute fee (from outside US/Canada) is recent. It was totally free last year. No complaints though, still a bargain.

blueroom
Nov 9, 2011, 03:42 PM
I've been using voip.ms and Acrobits / PAP2T to do this for about a year. Average phone bill is about $3 month.

evillageprowler
Nov 9, 2011, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the pointer to GV and Talkatone. I'll give them a look. 1c/m is no big deal.

liavman
Nov 10, 2011, 11:33 AM
i prefer Yahoo Voice. I only pay $2.50 a month for a valid phone number so people can call me and if i dont pick up, they can leave a voice mail in my yahoo mailbox. Calls to cell phones are real cheap with Yahoo voice out. Like 1.7 cents a minute for US calls....and the lowest rates I have seen for international calls.

There is also an app called Whistle Phone....which gives you a number for free AND the ability to make free calls anywhere in the US. Calls can only be 20 minutes long....and u do have to listen to a quick ad before calls...but its good in a pinch. People can't leave voice messages tho. Thats why i got yahoo.

Of course there is skype. Which i do like for skyoe to skyoe calls. Lots of people around the world use it, so it's great for international connections. And unlike Apple's facetime, does allow audio only calls. Calls to cell phones using skype are more expensive than Yahoo tho...so i only use skype for skype to skype calls.

Lastly facetime is great since i am a mac user....but as popular as Apple is....many of my friends still dpnt own an iphone or ipad. Hopefully soon. Same for imessage.

I have an unlocked iphone, since i travel alot and dont like being locked into expensive contracts. I have found that VOIP apps on my iphone, ipod and ipad are all i need.

Good summary of the options, MacDarcy. You are indeed a power user of these internet based services. With the yahoo voice having their own email, one possible issue is your voice mails are split in two places. I guess that is the same issue with GV also. Whistle has the followme feature where you can add your cell phone as one of the alternates phones to try and you can send that to your iPhone voice mail, so it is all in one place. I think it should work when you are traveling internationally if you do not have international roaming, your cell company should immediately send the cell phone call to voice mail.

About GV charging like yahoo, is that official? Do you have a link? Thanks.

fsck-y dingo
Nov 10, 2011, 03:02 PM
I think Apple is holding off on allowing FaceTime over 3G because it would be laggy.

When my phone was jailbroken I used FaceTime over 3G many times and I can tell you it's usually great quality. If you're down to one bar it can sometimes get jittery. I found even when that happens it's better than what Skype offers. With 4 or 5 bars of reception I can't tell the difference between 3G and wifi.

Apple may be against doing this but I'd be willing to bet the party most against the 3G FaceTime feature are the carriers. What they do usually makes little sense anyway. With my unlimited data plan I can email large files all day long but if I want to send a few 160 bytes messages (texts) it costs extra.