Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I just bought this one for my new 4S, from the Apple Store today for $35..

spk-a0313_glam002_1.jpg

Amazon has it for $8 but the opening for the camera looks smaller. I wonder if they would send me the same one I just bought? The packaging for the one I bought also says "iPhone 4" and not 4S, but it fits perfectly.

41dI5VuddDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Should I order the cheap one and return the expensive one?

iphonenub

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
I believe anazon's version is an old one that will have camera issues with the 4S. There is no way the newest version is 80% cheaper on amazon.

cybertek

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
The Amazon version is the old version. You can buy from Speck directly and there is no tax and free shipping. I would not buy the one from Amazon.

Last edited:

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
You can also get 20% off at speckproducts.com using code GOODBETTERSPECK.

Thanks! I definitely want to do this.. but after looking at the speck website colors, I want the WaxStick White instead of the MoonSuit White, but of course it's out of stock at the moment. :( Hopefully in the next 14 days it will be back...

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
Does anyone find the lock button on the top of the phone harder to push with the speck candyshell. Mine takes a good bit of effort which is a pain as you use it often.

Love the case but the lock button makes it a bummer.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks! I definitely want to do this.. but after looking at the speck website colors, I want the WaxStick White instead of the MoonSuit White, but of course it's out of stock at the moment. :( Hopefully in the next 14 days it will be back...

you can get the wax stick white at att stores.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
I have waxstick for my white iPhone and I love it. The camera hole seems a little overdone in terms of size and a fair amount of dirt seems to get in there on occasion. However, it's worth the 35$ I paid for it at AT&T. Great case.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I bought the WaxStick White today at AT&T for the same price and returned the other one to Apple. ATT had like 5 of them on the rack. And I swapped my 32gb for a 64gb. I'm finally happy! I think... haha

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I wouldn't recommend the Speck Candyshell to anyone. It use to be my favorite case for the 3G, but for my iPhone 4, it's been nothing but a disappointment. I had this for two months and I was just disgusted in what happened to the case with normal everyday usage (Notice the peeling of the silicone)... I even tried to get a replacement and they refused to send me one.

My friend purchased one of the 'newer' models with the bigger camera cut out and he had the exact same problem I did. I definitely wouldn't recommend spending $35 on a case for this to happen just after a month or two of using it.

Attachments

• photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 102

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
I wouldn't recommend the Speck Candyshell to anyone. It use to be my favorite case for the 3G, but for my iPhone 4, it's been nothing but a disappointment. I had this for two months and I was just disgusted in what happened to the case with normal everyday usage (Notice the peeling of the silicone)... I even tried to get a replacement and they refused to send me one.

My friend purchased one of the 'newer' models with the bigger camera cut out and he had the exact same problem I did. I definitely wouldn't recommend spending $35 on a case for this to happen just after a month or two of using it.
no any better cs better than speck does in the world seriously. talk to them again. not a fanboy move but seriously their cs are just good.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012

That's happening to mine as well but the sturdiness of the case outweighs that, for me at least. Aesthetics are an issue for some though. The peeling isn't as bad as yours though. :/

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
That's happening to mine as well but the sturdiness of the case outweighs that, for me at least. Aesthetics are an issue for some though. The peeling isn't as bad as yours though. :/

I wish mine wasn't peeling because I do love the case. I've tried to use it anyways, but the hideousness of the silicone peeling just gets to me by the end of the day and I just end up taking it off. It looks a lot worse in person than it does in the picture. Especially in the corners of the case. It gets annoying pretty quickly.

MonkeyBrainz

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2012
I wish mine wasn't peeling because I do love the case. I've tried to use it anyways, but the hideousness of the silicone peeling just gets to me by the end of the day and I just end up taking it off. It looks a lot worse in person than it does in the picture. Especially in the corners of the case. It gets annoying pretty quickly.

I'd be very annoyed if that were the issue, mine's only peeling in one spot and I removed a little bit to prevent it from continuing further.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
I'd be very annoyed if that were the issue, mine's only peeling in one spot and I removed a little bit to prevent it from continuing further.

How did you prevent it from continuing to peel? I've tried so many different things, but nothing seems to work. It just keeps continuing to peel.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010

I'm seconding this in a HUGE way.

Bought a black Speck CandyShell for my 4S in mid January. 3 days after purchase, the rubber parts of it were peeling and 'smearing' on the Speck logo in particular. So I took it to the Apple store and they exchanged it, waived the fee.

6 weeks later, I'm on my second one now, and I've got actual chunks of the rubber crumbling away. Its obviously where my fingertips touch those parts during normal handheld use. Right by the volume buttons, right above the lower speaker (where your pinkie finger goes) and then on the opposite side where your thumb would rest naturally. The back is covered with scratches and while I expect that (that is the purpose after all of a case) it is very soft and scratches very easily. It does seem to protect the 4S very well but it just looks like crap.

I called Speck, was told that the peeling must be due to my "misuse" of the product. If holding your damn phone constitutes "misuse" then Speck's product is unusable to me.

No more Speck CandyShell for me. I just bought the cheap Magpull Fieldcase and it looks, fits and behaves like a cover should at 1/4 the price of the CandyShell.

Attachments

• Speck0.jpg
    Speck0.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Speck1.jpg
    Speck1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 83
  • Speck2.jpg
    Speck2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Speck3.jpg
    Speck3.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.