Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I know there are several threads with this question but some say no and some say yes and I would like a final answer. I have a 13" Mid 2011 MacBook Air. I noticed a staple got under the ESC key. Is it possible to take the key cap off? I don't want to risk damaging the key cap and not being able to put it back on

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Yes, it's doable, but it's kind of a pain. It's just a pair of clips holding it onto a plastic bracket scissor thing. Getting it off is the gut-wrenching bit, with all the yanking that's involved, but getting it back on is fairly painless. Line everything up and shove.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Magnet, tweezers, vacuum cleaner, and a good shaking all spring to mind first, the keys can be popped off, however the underlying sissor action can also break, and you can bet Apple's keyboards are unique. Remember if it breaks Apple will likely want to change the entire top case which is very expensive, as they deal with modules not individual parts these days.

geekygeek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I didn't get it out because it seems like it went under the keyboard and went somewhere else inside the computer. I used a magnet and I figured the screen turns off if you put a magnet left to the tab key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.