PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping with a PM G5?

ZLurker
May 17, 2005, 01:23 PM
I got a iBook 1Ghz G4, and i like it, ALOT!
Its so damn quiet, i almost can't hear if its on or not.
Now I refuse to use any other computer in an office or a other room unless its dead quiet. I turn the computer off. Otherwise i can't think. Did I mention that im a researcher? In scientific computing.

I was soo looking forward to buy a new mid range PM in september, but now im horrified about the noiselevel. I plan to keep the uptime to 24/7 so i can access files and run programs remotely. Now, my home workspace is in the same room as my girlfriend, and its not comfy to have a noisy fan in there if she are working.

You PM G5 users out there... anyone who use it in a dead quiet room?
Whats your experience?

Offcourse the loadlevel matters but if you just surf och check email, access the hard drive?

/ZLurker

MacNut
May 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
Oh I thought you were actually sleeping with your G5. :p

Etrain
May 17, 2005, 01:34 PM
I thought so too...or maybe something more haha! :o

MacNut
May 17, 2005, 01:37 PM
If you have it sleeping it should be fairly quite. Unless its running all night long then you will hear something.
You will never get it super quite, just think of it as white noise.

FireArse
May 17, 2005, 01:57 PM
Hey,

i have a Rev. B 2GHz PowerMac - and leave it encoding H.264 files overnight. CPU usage is quite high, but the CPU fans never get loud - I have no problems with leaving my Mac running while i sleep 2m from it.

FireArse

ZLurker
May 17, 2005, 01:59 PM
Oh I thought you were actually sleeping with your G5. :p
:p
Thats right!:D

Well, i guess i can wake it remotly if its sleeping?

ZLurker
May 17, 2005, 02:02 PM
Hey,

i have a Rev. B 2GHz PowerMac - and leave it encoding H.264 files overnight. CPU usage is quite high, but the CPU fans never get loud - I have no problems with leaving my Mac running while i sleep 2m from it.

FireArse
Thats exactly what i need to hear. Do you have "as it is", or do you use some encaseing?

motulist
May 17, 2005, 04:40 PM
If you go into the energy saver control panel and set everything low, including the processor, then all the Macs I've ever used (I don't know about the PM G5 specifically) won't ever have a fan go on. Conversely, if you change it to highest performance instead of automatic it will make a very big increase in performance.

dops7107
May 17, 2005, 04:44 PM
If you go into the energy saver control panel and set everything low, including the processor...

Is this ability a feature of G5 machines only?

asanchezm
May 17, 2005, 04:47 PM
Just do not spoon it while sleeping. :rolleyes:

combatcolin
May 17, 2005, 04:49 PM
Its a feature of Mac OS X

So yes, all Macs have it.

topgunn
May 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
Its a feature of Mac OS X

So yes, all Macs have it.
I believe it is only available on G5's and desktops. The eMacs and minis do not have this feature.

Sun Baked
May 17, 2005, 04:54 PM
Oh I thought you were actually sleeping with your G5. :pI also thought this was another thread about sleeping with something that was cold and hard one minute and hot the next.

Basically something that probably isn't recommended by Apple, unless you really are in love with the new design.

But then again, it's probably just lust.

patrick0brien
May 17, 2005, 05:22 PM
Sleeping with a PM G5?

-ZLurker

How do you get the cheesegrater imprint out of your skin?

Maxiseller
May 17, 2005, 05:33 PM
Gosh, I only clicked on this in the hope of a good night!!

However, put it to sleep and you'll be fine! If not, throw a shoe at the power switch when you're falling asleep.

motulist
May 17, 2005, 09:11 PM
I believe it is only available on G5's and desktops. The eMacs and minis do not have this feature.

The portables, powerbooks and ibooks, have the full energy saver settings as well. I've never checked on an emac or mini, but I'm surprised to hear that they don't have it. Just to double check, you're looking in the system preferences and you're saying there's no energy saver control panel???

ZLurker
May 18, 2005, 02:12 AM
-ZLurker

How do you get the cheesegrater imprint out of your skin?
I don't :)

Nermal
May 18, 2005, 02:22 AM
Just to double check, you're looking in the system preferences and you're saying there's no energy saver control panel???

There's an Energy Saver panel, but no processor settings. My old iBook had them, but my G4 tower doesn't.

I sleep in the same room as my G4 with no problems whatsoever.

dops7107
May 18, 2005, 02:38 AM
There's an Energy Saver panel, but no processor settings. My old iBook had them, but my G4 tower doesn't.

Yep, nothing on a Mini either. It's easily quiet enough anyway, I've only heard the fan fire up once while playing a game.

Sol
May 18, 2005, 02:46 AM
I for one would not buy a computer from this guy. You never know what he might have slipped into those FireWire 800 ports.

ZLurker
May 18, 2005, 03:18 AM
I for one would not buy a computer from this guy. You never know what he might have slipped into those FireWire 800 ports.
You have to understand, i would never sell my computers. I love them too much! :D

ZLurker
May 18, 2005, 03:21 AM
If you go into the energy saver control panel and set everything low, including the processor, then all the Macs I've ever used (I don't know about the PM G5 specifically) won't ever have a fan go on. Conversely, if you change it to highest performance instead of automatic it will make a very big increase in performance.
Thanks for the info!
Exellent! Do you know if you can put a time schedule on these settings?

ZLurker
May 18, 2005, 03:28 AM

I think sleeping wouldn't be a problem for me either, my fridge sounds quite alot and a can sleep with that noise.
Its more the annoying sound that breaks the complete silence when im working on it and thinking that worries me.

But i guess the energysaving settings is the solution then.

Cant wait to buy one!

Lacero
May 18, 2005, 03:30 AM
I surf the net and do basic stuff with my PB hooked to an external display. Nice and quiet. However, the PM G5 are very quiet compared to the old G4s. This reason alone was what prompted me to buy a G5.

Sol
May 18, 2005, 03:50 AM
You have to understand, i would never sell my computers. I love them too much! :D

So there is more than one. The plot thickens...

Seriously, computer snoring, I mean fan noise, annoys me too. In the Steve Jobs biography The Second Coming Of Steve Jobs there were claims that the man hated computer fans so much that his engineers would avoid using the word 'fan' in case he threw a hissy fit. With the Cube and the 2nd generation G3 iMacs Apple had gotten rid of the fans competely. It is a bit dissapointing that fans came back with a vengeance in the PowerMac G5s. I use the dual 2.5 model at work and the computer fans start and stop all the time. This is more noticable than a fan which is constantly on because of the noise that interupts the silence.

bentley
May 18, 2005, 03:53 AM
Michael Jackson sleeps with his Mac Minis.

motulist
May 18, 2005, 04:19 AM
Thanks for the info!
Exellent! Do you know if you can put a time schedule on these settings?

I'll venture a guess and say probably, though I've never tried. You could probably write a simple applescript (sort of like the Mac's version of a .bat file on windoze if you're a switcher) that would change the settings and then schedule that script to be run whenever you want by using iCal (the Mac's built in calendar program).

FireArse
May 18, 2005, 04:57 AM
I have set the 'Processor Performance' to highest - to get the best FPS when encoding.

This means the the unit should run the warmest at this setting - as warm as I can make it anyway. I dont know how RAM effects the temperature of things inside - i just upgraded to 2.5GB. Maybe that makes things a touch warmer?

I dont have any special casings or anything - the unit just sits at the side of my desk 24/7. Not an issue when sleeping. My work IBM laptop makes more noise. These things are nothing short of Engineering Marvels. Seriously.

If I were someone thining about buying a PowerMac - I'd run and get a Rev B 2.5GHz at a discounted price (should you still manage to find any). Very few people have had issues with the cooling method - infact - none that I've seen on these forums anyway!

I made the switch and bought a 3000 mac. Big Switch. Big risk. Seriously worth every penny.

FireArse

ReanimationLP
May 18, 2005, 05:20 AM
Michael Jackson sleeps with his Mac Minis.

I feel sorry for those Mac Minis. :(

840quadra
May 18, 2005, 05:59 AM
My G5 folds, and Encodes H.264 at night, the CPU is rarely below 80% at any given time in a 24 hour period.

MY G5 is sitting so close to my bed it could double as a headboard. It sometimes will kick the fans on, but since I sleep with a fan on (white noise) I really don't notice it.

HTH

Platform
May 18, 2005, 06:04 AM
My G5 folds, and Encodes H.264 at night, the CPU is rarely below 80% at any given time in a 24 hour period.

MY G5 is sitting so close to my bed it could double as a headboard. It sometimes will kick the fans on, but since I sleep with a fan on (white noise) I really don't notice it.

HTH

That's good......but just to ask...since you fold during the night, and day :confused: or.......if so how is the performance :confused:

Truffy
May 18, 2005, 06:09 AM
the PM G5 are very quiet compared to the old G4s.Are you referring to the MDD Windtunnel? Only I have a later Rev MDD, and it's one of the quietest computers I've ever owned!

Sol
May 18, 2005, 06:56 AM
Only I have a later Rev MDD, and it's one of the quietest computers I've ever owned!

The loud noise from the model prior to your Mac was coming from the power supply fan. From all accounts it was a low point for fan noise in Apple computers. Maybe the people who engineer these things are partially deaf from a life-time of working around computers.

840quadra
May 18, 2005, 07:11 AM
That's good......but just to ask...since you fold during the night, and day :confused: or.......if so how is the performance :confused:

It is as normal as if it were not folding. The Folding@home process uses free CPU cycles. It is set at the lowest possible priority, so it will not interfere with other programs that need CPU time. If Something like Diva (program for video encode) needs all of the CPU cycles, Folding@home will basically stop what it is doing , and wait.

In a stupid way, I am happy that something, or someone can use my G5 power, when I am not.

Dunepilot
May 18, 2005, 07:24 AM
Are you referring to the MDD Windtunnel? Only I have a later Rev MDD, and it's one of the quietest computers I've ever owned!

I have an original Windtunnel. It wasn't too noisy until I added an extra hard drive, USB2/FW PCI card and a Superdrive. Then the noise level went up, and now it is annoying.

I'm working on the deafness by going to as many gigs as possible, so that should help...

ZLurker
May 18, 2005, 08:00 AM

HTH

I guess that when i will do large scale computing, i'll proberbly load the cpu 100% constantly for a week, thats why i want dual. I want to parallellize (or how you spell it) parts of the code, and i want to be able to use the computer for other stuff while running it.

I dont have the cash untill september so lets see what happend to the G5 line then, before i decide on what to buy.

I think atleast that I'm convinced that the fan won't stop me from buying!

Thanks alot for the feedback!!

ZLurker

Lacero
May 18, 2005, 08:15 AM
I guess that when i will do large scale computing, i'll proberbly load the cpu 100% constantly for a week, thats why i want dual. I want to parallellize (or how you spell it) parts of the code, and i want to be able to use the computer for other stuff while running it.You can open Terminal and renice the threads that are running. That way, it lowers the priority so it allows you to do other things less sluggishly. If you have dual procs, you'll notice less of a slowdown.

BBFCFM
May 19, 2005, 10:01 AM
Soft fans at night, but there is one bad thing about sleeping with it. The room is extremely hot because of the heat the computer generates.

patrick0brien
May 19, 2005, 10:55 AM
Soft fans at night, but there is one bad thing about sleeping with it. The room is extremely hot because of the heat the computer generates.

-BBFCFM

You sure it's the computer generating that heat?

motulist
May 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
You can open Terminal and renice the threads that are running. That way, it lowers the priority so it allows you to do other things less sluggishly. If you have dual procs, you'll notice less of a slowdown.

Just a crazy idea here, if you're doing something worthwhile with those calculations you might consider setting up a distributed client and people might donate their cycles to your work. Hey, ya never know!

And here's a question... does anyone know if there's a simple way to set up spare Macs as cycle and other resource drones? Maybe if you're doing super tough calculations like you seem to be saying, if it's possible, it might be worthwhile to get a farm of older and cheaper Mac drones working rather than a single new PM.

Or maybe the acid's just kickin' in. ;)