PDA

View Full Version : ATV2 connect to computer - iTunes only?

jbsmithmac
Nov 8, 2011, 09:34 PM
In looking at the atv web page one of the screen shots shows the home screen and it says "computers". Is this just the iTunes accounts/computers it can link to?

What I am wondering is if it can connect to another machine that isn't running iTunes and if so what can it see - stream images perhaps?

adbe
Nov 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
In looking at the atv web page one of the screen shots shows the home screen and it says "computers". Is this just the iTunes accounts/computers it can link to?

What I am wondering is if it can connect to another machine that isn't running iTunes and if so what can it see - stream images perhaps?

Until the iTunes Match/iTunes in the cloud stuff is fully rolled out, the ATV 2 is largely reliant on having an iTunes system running somewhere in the house for non-rental media.

jbsmithmac
Nov 9, 2011, 10:00 AM
What about jailbreaking the atv2...does that allow me to connect to a non-iTunes machine?

hafr
Nov 9, 2011, 10:16 AM
What about jailbreaking the atv2...does that allow me to connect to a non-iTunes machine?

Yes. You can jailbreak the ATV2 and install XBMC on it. That way you can access any machine and/or hard drive you want (well, within reason ;))

jbsmithmac
Nov 9, 2011, 10:20 AM
Ok...obviously a new guy here. Is there a site that explains the capabilities of xbmc...or maybe someone can post some screen prints of its functionality?

ericrwalker
Nov 9, 2011, 10:23 AM
http://forum.xbmc.org/

jbsmithmac
Nov 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks!

szolr
Nov 9, 2011, 10:27 AM
Until the iTunes Match/iTunes in the cloud stuff is fully rolled out, the ATV 2 is largely reliant on having an iTunes system running somewhere in the house for non-rental media.

I think you mean entirely...

jbsmithmac
Nov 9, 2011, 10:40 AM
Good read on xbmc. Let me ask this question....

My end game is for photography, what I would like is when the photographer takes a picture that file is stored on the computer (this I can do now), I was thinking of using atv to monitor the directory where the photographer is saving to and play a slideshow of these images on the big screen.

Would this be do-able? Should I ask this on the xbmc forum?

ericrwalker
Nov 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
I am fairly certain is does that. I only use it for movies though.

If someone else here can't answer that I am sure their forum would.

hafr
Nov 9, 2011, 10:44 AM
Good read on xbmc. Let me ask this question....

My end game is for photography, what I would like is when the photographer takes a picture that file is stored on the computer (this I can do now), I was thinking of using atv to monitor the directory where the photographer is saving to and play a slideshow of these images on the big screen.

Would this be do-able? Should I ask this on the xbmc forum?

The guys on the XBMC forum have more know-how, but at least I know that what you're asking is definitely doable :)

jbsmithmac
Nov 9, 2011, 11:06 AM
Excellent...looks like I'm getting an ATV2...

Should I buy new or go the eBay route? Looks like I can get a decent used one on eBay for $70ish.