Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi all,

I've got a bizarre (if not actually problematic) issue with my late '09 mini C2D 2.26GHz. I originally upgraded it with an OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD back in 2010. A few months ago I ran Disk Speed Test and was only getting 30-50MB/sec for both reads and writes. I have subsequently changed to a 50GB Vertex 2, clean install of Snow Leopard, and now am getting 35MB/sec reads and 180MB/sec writes. I've got a 120GB Vertex 2 in my '09 MBP C2D 2.8Ghz that gets >200MB/sec reads and around 180MB/sec writes with Disk Speed Test (more or less what the drive is advertised as). Initially I thought the original Vertex was getting past its best, but now I have a similar problem with a new drive. So I'm wondering what could be causing the low read speeds? I have never had any system hangs or beachballs (with either Vertex or Vertex 2) and the mini is mostly used as a HTPC, but I'm still curious as to what could be causing the slow down? Is it definitely the drive or could it be something else inside the mini? Your input is, as always, appreciated.

IC

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Have you checked that your new drive has the latest firmware?

Have you contacted the disk manufacturer for assistance?

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Hi all,

I've got a bizarre (if not actually problematic) issue with my late '09 mini C2D 2.26GHz. I originally upgraded it with an OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD back in 2010. A few months ago I ran Disk Speed Test and was only getting 30-50MB/sec for both reads and writes. I have subsequently changed to a 50GB Vertex 2, clean install of Snow Leopard, and now am getting 35MB/sec reads and 180MB/sec writes. I've got a 120GB Vertex 2 in my '09 MBP C2D 2.8Ghz that gets >200MB/sec reads and around 180MB/sec writes with Disk Speed Test (more or less what the drive is advertised as). Initially I thought the original Vertex was getting past its best, but now I have a similar problem with a new drive. So I'm wondering what could be causing the low read speeds? I have never had any system hangs or beachballs (with either Vertex or Vertex 2) and the mini is mostly used as a HTPC, but I'm still curious as to what could be causing the slow down? Is it definitely the drive or could it be something else inside the mini? Your input is, as always, appreciated.

IC

Are these drives 6G drives or 3G drives? 09 minis supposedly can't handle 6G drives, they downgrade to worse than 3G.

Finally...are you using disk speed test from App store? OWC claims to me it isn't always accurate with their drives or something. They told me to try some other benchmarking tools.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2011
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Yes it's running the latest firmware, the Vertex 2 is a SATA-II 3Gbps drive. I haven't looked on the OCZ forums yet - good idea. I'm not overly concerned as the mini runs fine and it isn't affecting performance as far as I can see. I was really just wondering if there's anything else that can affect drive speed other than the drive?

Thanks again,

IC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.