Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csbeltram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
My wife and I switched iPhones so we could upgrade me to the 4S with her discount on her # and she took my iPhone 4. But now both phones receive iMessages that are only sent to me. And when I send out messages to someone else on OS5, she get my sent messages as if she sent them. I've seen that others are having the same problem, but haven't found a good fix.

To switch our phones, I upgraded my old 4 to OS5 and set the new 4S up with her # so it would properly setup the new SIM. Everything worked fine. Backed up both phones, switched SIMs, then did a restore to the opposite phone. Everything worked fine, except the iMessage issue.

I've also read that there are issues if multiple devices are registered under one Apple.com account, which is our case. I'm the IT person of the family so I prefer to keep everything registered under one account. This is also helpful for purchasing apps and music.

Has anyone heard if there's a good fix, like a "reset to factory and restore" process, or having to create a new iTunes account for her phone, or turning iMessage off and restart phone, or having SIM #s switched, or anything? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Go to Settings>Messages>Receive At and have them only come in from your respective numbers, not your Apple/iCloud ID. That should fix your problem.

If that doesn't work, go to Settings>General>Reset and Reset all Settings and then let the phones do their magic, then follow my previous paragraph. You'll both have to reapply anything you may have tweaked(This will change all your sounds/wallpapers/screen brightness back to default, but rest assured, if you have specific ring tones or messages sounds for contacts, it won't mess them up), but that should fix it.

If not, your only other option would be to DFU restore as new and then follow my first paragraph.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That means you still have your account info on the old phone, best thing to do is to restore the phone to a new phone....or restore from her backup.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Are both phones using the same apple id?

If so I would fall back to my personal rule, one apple id per person. There is no reason to share.

csbeltram

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks everyone. iMessage was setup to use the same Apple ID on both phones. Never really needed a separate ID before. We created one for my wife and put her new ID into iMessage. Seems to have fixed it. :)

Although oddly, my 4S still says "Verifying" next to my phone # in iMessage settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.