Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
I just got Tiger today and luckilly I installed it on my external hard drive aswell as my PowerBooks interal one.

On my first restart after installing 10.4.1 and repairing permissions on an erase and install I get this error message. I can't start from this drive and it doesn't mount.

Am I in trouble?
:confused:

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 141

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm sorry to bear bad news, but.... :(

Your hard drive has a mechanism called SMART that is designed to predict when the hard drive is near physical failure and warn you. Usually this is what these messages are about -- that your drive is about to / has died. This kind of msg doesn't usually come up for soft problems with the drive. If there is something like bad tables or sectors, Disk Utility should usually let you either try to repair or reformat when you boot off a different drive.

I think basically the bottom line is that you may have to replace the drive. Are you still under warranty? If so, march in and make them do it for you. A hard drive on such a recent PB should not be failing -- although statistically it happens sometimes....

It's weird that so many people are posting hard drive failure stories right after getting Tiger though. There have been at least half a dozen in the two weeks-ish since Tiger came out. Odd.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Yeh, I second that; seen a lot more Hard Drive failures than normal - although surely a software program couldn't physically cause any damage to the drive?

Try and backup, but it looks like trip to the Apple store genius Bar it may be - they might be able to help you?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Yeh - I third that!

Mine failed last week. It was on a brand new G5. I called Apple and they wanted me to take my whole mac to an AppleCentre. I know it is the HD because I got the same message as above.

After zeroing the hard drive 3 times and then re-installing Tiger it made no difference - it would install the software, boot up to the desktop but then I couldn't open any apps....

I am beginning to think something else may be going on here seeing there are a few more users with the same problems.

Funny thing was that disk utility only reported the fault once and after re- installing it was ok when I ran it again. I then ran SMARTReporter - it told me the drive was failing for sure.

I also ran the Apple hardware test and no problem was found in any area including the HD

Weird huh?
aussie_geek

bentley

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Well I rezeroed it and it will mount now but the SMART status is failed, which I assumes I can't use it in the long run and rely on it.

I hope I'm still under warranty .

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
This does not sound good for Tiger............. :eek:

Oh well it happens,,,,just have to make sure to back up...although I have an 80GB HDD that is full but with no backup :eek: :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.