Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
In photoshop use the brush tool at about 60% opacity and it should have the desired effect.

dmz

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2007
Canada
Wrong Picture?

I don't know what the picture you posted is, but it sure doesn't look anything like a lab... it looks more like a DNA test. Did you post the wrong picture?

I think the above poster (acearchie) was trying to make the same point. I think.;)

dmz

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Taken with this

uscxf5de.jpg

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
I don't know what the picture you posted is, but it sure doesn't look anything like a lab... it looks more like a DNA test. Did you post the wrong picture?

I think the above poster (acearchie) was trying to make the same point. I think.;)

dmz

Yeah, the DNA results from a lab presumably :p

Either way, the only way to do this is with a brush by hand. There's no way to add info that's not in the photo

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
It's a picture of a gel electrophoresis run. It's a pain in the butt, but if you haven't saved the gel, then you probably can't do much with it now... However, if it's for a presentation, you can add lines (in something like word or pages) to make your results clearer. Do not try to fix the gel using aperture because that will make the results invalid.

You will need to add numbers to the lanes as well, and from what I see, it seems like the left side of your gel ran a little faster than the right side, so it's not lined up with your ladder. Seems like what you see lined up with step 5 of your ladder is actually supposed to be lined up with step 4.

Overall, seems like either your electrophoresis machine is screwed up or whoever made the agarose screwed up.

I spent 3 years in a lab and got only 10 pictures which were publishable. If it's for a high school lab or something, you should be ok with what you have.

Good Luck!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... Do not try to fix the gel using aperture because that will make the results invalid.

It's worst than that. That photograph is data. Changing it in the way stated in the OP is scientific fraud. A scientist who does this is subject to reprimand or dismissal. A university student who does this is subject to being failed in the class. A high school student who does this should receive disciplinary action of some sort. You do not change data. If the OP believes that he made an error or that his results are flawed, then he has no choice but to redo the experiment.

Heebeejeebies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
New Jersey
It's worst than that. That photograph is data. Changing it in the way stated in the OP is scientific fraud. A scientist who does this is subject to reprimand or dismissal. A university student who does this is subject to being failed in the class. A high school student who does this should receive disciplinary action of some sort. You do not change data. If the OP believes that he made an error or that his results are flawed, then he has no choice but to redo the experiment.

Agreed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.