Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terrynuggets

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I have a question for anyone who owns a Mac Mini, uses iCloud, and Back to Mac.

Now- I have a 1 TB 3rd generation Time Capsule. I store all of my Music, Movies, and pictures on it. The greatest thing about is between my Windows PC and MacBook Air I can have on iTunes library. I can add a song on my MacBook Air, and it will update on my "Windows PC iTunes." The other great thing about it was (past tense) using MobileMe and Back to Mac, I could access my Time Capsule from anywhere on my MacBookAir. With the upgrade to Lion and iCloud, that is no longer possible. I have been keeping track of it, and it doesn't seems like it will happen again anytime soon.

Now- in order to fix this, I am thinking about getting a Mac Mini. I have heard and read that with iCloud you can still access your Mac Mini remotely. So, here comes my questions

1) When on the same network, will my Windows PC be able to access my Mac Mini ?

2) Will the 'iTunes set up' I currently have with my Time Capsule work the same way if I do it on my Mac Mini ?

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
Your problem is that you have a Time Capsule, and therefore, the hard drive is physically inside the router. Getting a Mac mini doesn't fix this problem. You'll be able to get back to your Mac mini, but not the Time Capsule. If you put your data on your Mac mini, be it the internal drive or an external drive, then your problem is solved.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have a question for anyone who owns a Mac Mini, uses iCloud, and Back to Mac.

Now- I have a 1 TB 3rd generation Time Capsule. I store all of my Music, Movies, and pictures on it. The greatest thing about is between my Windows PC and MacBook Air I can have on iTunes library. I can add a song on my MacBook Air, and it will update on my "Windows PC iTunes." The other great thing about it was (past tense) using MobileMe and Back to Mac, I could access my Time Capsule from anywhere on my MacBookAir. With the upgrade to Lion and iCloud, that is no longer possible. I have been keeping track of it, and it doesn't seems like it will happen again anytime soon.

Now- in order to fix this, I am thinking about getting a Mac Mini. I have heard and read that with iCloud you can still access your Mac Mini remotely. So, here comes my questions

1) When on the same network, will my Windows PC be able to access my Mac Mini ?

2) Will the 'iTunes set up' I currently have with my Time Capsule work the same way if I do it on my Mac Mini ?

1) Yes if you use smb file sharing

2) Yes sorta. Easiest thing would be to use home sharing in iTunes on your windows pc. Then your Mac mini will show up as an iTunes library and any updates on the Mac mini iTunes will show up on thw windows iTunes under the Mac mini library

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.