Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I don't usually follow game websites' reviews because opinion about game are all depending on their own personal experiences. but for Skyrim, their feelings seem to be similar with me. from this morning, suddenly there are more than 10 reviews on the internet. they all got more than 9 or mostly 9.5-perfect 10. so total metacritic score is 95 right now. amazing. I can't wait to play it tonight. are you ready to roam in Skyrim?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I don't usually follow game websites' reviews because opinion about game are all depending on their own personal experiences. but for Skyrim, their feelings seem to be similar with me. from this morning, suddenly there are more than 10 reviews on the internet. they all got more than 9 or mostly 9.5-perfect 10. so total metacritic score is 95 right now. amazing. I can't wait to play it tonight. are you ready to roam in Skyrim?

People have spent the past few months talking about how great Skyrim is. They haven't played it yet.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I already spent 8 hours so far. three main missions completed. the game is just amazing. technologically, skyrim's new game engine is freaking awesome. I still wonder how developers could put more than 100 hours of gameplay in just 6GB. their texture compression technology is just unbelievable. ID software (Rage) should learn from Bethesda. now I realize that the size doesn't matter.:)

Barnzee

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2010
Oak Harbor, WA
I already spent 8 hours so far. three main missions completed. the game is just amazing. technologically, skyrim's new game engine is freaking awesome. I still wonder how developers could put more than 100 hours of gameplay in just 6GB. their texture compression technology is just unbelievable. ID software (Rage) should learn from Bethesda. now I realize that the size doesn't matter.:)

I was thinking the same thing LOL. How can this game look and play so good and only be around 6gb. I'm also on high settings with my MBP early 2011. Bethesda rocks

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Is it worth buying if I don't really have time for an RPG? Is it a type of game that I can put down and pick up a week later and not feel like I have to re-play the last half hour to get back into the game?

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.

System Shock took me well over 100 hours to complete and it fit on a 640 meg CD; there was also floppy disk version that was only about 20 megs -- I can't recall how many discs were in the box.

AND, you can reuse textures OVER and OVER and OVER, which I've noticed this game does. ;) The VO is probably a larger part of that 6 gigs, but I don't know for sure.

Anyways, good game so far, but my usual gripe... I'm on Master mode and it's been easy. Giving my character a flame-thrower hand from the get go is an overkill IMO... I probably shouldn't use it? And when the hell did I learn how to be a black smith? :eek:

Anyways, just griping. I like this game WAY better than Dragon Age 2 and I hope the challenge picks up when I get further in.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
People have spent the past few months talking about how great Skyrim is. They haven't played it yet.

They have. Preview copies get sent out, expos have demos. I was playing it back in September.

Metacritic has this at 94% so far, and I think that's quite deserving. It's not my usual type of game and it hasn't sucked me in as much as Just Cause 2 but it's damn amazing. I'm 5 hours in and I still don't know what to do. Haven't even bumped into a dragon yet (except for the intro one).

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They have. Preview copies get sent out, expos have demos. I was playing it back in September.

Metacritic has this at 94% so far, and I think that's quite deserving. It's not my usual type of game and it hasn't sucked me in as much as Just Cause 2 but it's damn amazing. I'm 5 hours in and I still don't know what to do. Haven't even bumped into a dragon yet (except for the intro one).

Follow the quest chain... :p I anticipate getting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.