PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

mac57
Nov 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Greetings fellow PowerPC'ers. I have just (re)joined the "club". My first Mac was a 2.3 GHz PowerMac G5. I have just recently purchased a used PowerMac G5 Quad from eBay and am getting it up and running. I am truly impressed by how fast it is. I have mod'd it a bit, adding a 120 GB SSD boot drive, and replacing the white label hard drive it had when it arrived with a high performance, 64 MB cache Western Digital drive.

No real problems to report on at present. It *is* an older machine, and it had a hard life - you can tell from the scratches and dings on it, but it runs quietly and fast. I do have a problem with the Superdrive door not closing after I close the tray, but I think I will lick that before too long. I am also working with an After The Mac USB WiFi dongle which is VERY slow to connect to my Apple Airport Extreme WiFi base station, but I am also working on that.

Anyway, I am delighted to be back in the PowerPC Mac "club". Lots of fun hunting down the latest and best software for Tiger and PPC. It is amazing how much old software I had, and how much high quality stuff is still out there.

Thats it - just wanted to introduce myself and say "hello".

eyoungren
Nov 10, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hello! My first Mac was a TiBook/400. I still have it. It has a flaky logic board now, but that's ok as I have two other 17" PowerBooks. I'm letting my daughter pound away on the old PB.

My work Mac is a 1.8Ghz G5 with a 435GB HD and 4GB Ram. Been running since February 2005 with only the occasional shutdown. Have not yet been able to get my own Intel Mac.

Welcome back!