PDA

View Full Version : Burning a Video_TS folder to make a DVD

mduser63
May 18, 2005, 01:25 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to burn a DVD that will play in a regular DVD player if I just have the VIDEO_TS folder. I believe that Toast can do it, is there something free that will do it? In case you're concerned, it's not a commercial DVD. It's one I created some time ago, and compiled on a PC (before I switched), and now I only have the VIDEO_TS folder, not an image, and I want to burn it. I've got DVD Studio Pro in case there's some way to do it with that.

tykles
May 18, 2005, 02:08 AM
I am sure there are dozens of threads on this. you could also go to dvdforums or whatever the site is for extremely in depth discussions. but basically, in toast, you select DVD-ROm(UDF), drag in your video_ts folder, make and add a blank audio_ts folder, burn and check in your dvd player of choice. works for me. Don't forget to double check w a dvd-rw first if you've got one lying around.

mduser63
May 18, 2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks for the reply, but the problem is, I don't have Toast, and don't really have the money to buy it either, so I'm looking for a free solution if possible.

Lacero
May 18, 2005, 04:12 AM
I remember being able to burn discs from within DVD Studio Pro but I've forgotten, since I rarely if ever use DVDSP to burn DVDs. I use Toast, and so should you.

ClarkeB
May 18, 2005, 01:17 PM
If you just pop a DVD into your comp, open it up in Finder and then drag the folder into the window and then click burn.

Laslo Panaflex
May 18, 2005, 01:27 PM
If you just pop a DVD into your comp, open it up in Finder and then drag the folder into the window and then click burn.

That doesn't work. It has to be DVD rom UDF format, burning from the finder just makes a standard data DVD.

TrashCanDan
May 18, 2005, 01:37 PM
MacTheRipper (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715) make a copy using this program, than burn the ripped files onto a blank dvd.

Brigrat
May 18, 2005, 02:00 PM
MacTheRipper (http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22715) make a copy using this program, than burn the ripped files onto a blank dvd.

Macthereipper rips the movie into a video_TS folder. then we are back to where we started. How to get the Video_TS folder burned on to a DVD so that it will play in a DVD Player.

daveL
May 18, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the reply, but the problem is, I don't have Toast, and don't really have the money to buy it either, so I'm looking for a free solution if possible.
I don't mean to second guess you, but you can afford DVD Studio Pro, but you can't spring for Toast?

TrashCanDan: MTR has nothing to do with it; his DVD is not encrypted, which is the only purpose of MTR. In addition, you can't just "burn the ripped files onto a blank DVD". The VIDEO_TS folder has to be formated for a video DVD, otherwise you end up with a data DVD, which won't play on a standalone DVD player.

swiftaw
May 18, 2005, 02:05 PM
How about Popcorn? Its a little cheaper than Toast.

Artful Dodger
May 18, 2005, 02:06 PM
Make a disc image then burn it. Do you know anyone that has a new burner? If so see if they have Toast Lite and that should help. Also as stated by tykles put an audio_ts folder in the new folder, unless it is in there from the dvd.

ClarkeB
May 18, 2005, 03:18 PM
I've burned Video_TS folders to blank DVDs before and they play perfectly. :confused:

Laslo Panaflex
May 18, 2005, 03:31 PM
I've burned Video_TS folders to blank DVDs before and they play perfectly. :confused:

On a set top player or your computer?

tykles
May 18, 2005, 04:17 PM
Toast Demo (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/product_demo.jhtml)
That should do it for ya. If you like it and want to keep using it, buy it.
You could also try DragonBurn (http://mac.tucows.nyi.net/preview/256140.html). Hope this helps.
t

~Shard~
May 18, 2005, 04:50 PM
I don't mean to second guess you, but you can afford DVD Studio Pro, but you can't spring for Toast?

Damn, you beat me to it, was wondering the same thing... ;)

ClarkeB
May 18, 2005, 04:54 PM
On a set top player or your computer?

A regular DVD player. I used MTR to copy the DVD to my HD and then I dragged the Video_TS folder to a DVD I had and clicked Burn and then whne it was done I ejected it and inserted it into my Humax 80-hour TiVo box w/ DVD recorder and played it there.

mduser63
May 18, 2005, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I have DVD Studio Pro, but only because I saved for a long time and was able to buy it with an educational discount (I'm a student). At the moment, I don't have the money for Toast. I'll download the demo for now, and buy it when I get paid next week. Thanks again.

Nermal
May 18, 2005, 06:56 PM
Toast Demo (http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/product_demo.jhtml)

That 'demo' appears to be a Flash movie that shows you about Toast, but doesn't actually let you use it :(

jalagl
May 18, 2005, 07:02 PM
I second the recomendation for Popcorn. It is much more affordable than Toast, and works like a charm.

keysersoze
May 18, 2005, 07:05 PM
I second the recomendation for Popcorn. It is much more affordable than Toast, and works like a charm.

Popcorn + Tiger = Cluster *******

Sorry, but I'm having all kinds of problems burning. Even after 1.02 update. Still wanked.

lazyboy922
May 18, 2005, 07:06 PM
Yup,

Rip with "Mac the Ripper", then burn with "popcorn". Works everytime in my dvd player.

daveL
May 18, 2005, 07:32 PM

Sorry, but I'm having all kinds of problems burning. Even after 1.02 update. Still wanked.
Tiger and Popcorn 1.02 have worked fine for me, so far.

tykles
May 18, 2005, 08:14 PM
That 'demo' appears to be a Flash movie that shows you about Toast, but doesn't actually let you use it :(
oooooops. that was pretty dumb. I gues i shold have looked at that a bit harder before posting it, eh? :o I'm rather surprised they don't offer a demo.

Here's (http://www1.shopping.com/xGS-roxio_toast_lite~NS-1~linkin_id-3062083) somewhere you can pick it up for 20 bucks, though. Or if you do a search on pricewatch (http://www.pricewatch.com/) you can find it for even less.
sorry about the previous fubar. The DragonBurn link will give you a viable demo though.

sonofapplepm
May 18, 2005, 09:02 PM

I second this method. If it's not protected and is small enough to fit on a DVD, it should work. I've done this many times and they play in all my DVD players!!!

keysersoze
May 18, 2005, 09:20 PM
Tiger and Popcorn 1.02 have worked fine for me, so far.

Mind me asking:

1. What burner you have?
2. What media you are using?

I have been banging my head against a wall. Always get a 'Media Error' of some kind. Same media I used under Panther though!! I've tried Memorex, Apple brand, and Sony. All DVD-R. All don't work. :(

jared_kipe
May 18, 2005, 09:33 PM
Here is the easy way folks, there is a program called ffmpegx find it and download all the little files you need to make it install. Acutally in tiger, you have to use the command line and sudo to create a folder that is missing that is needed in the install process, but it isn't anything too bad. Anyway open ffmpegx and go to the tab all the way on the right, on the right column click browse and navigate to the folder that has your video_ts folder and choose that folder. Then there is a little button down at the bottom that says something like DVDimg, punch it and sit back, in a few min you will have a image that diskutility can burn.

daveL
May 19, 2005, 12:46 PM
Mind me asking:

1. What burner you have?
2. What media you are using?

I have been banging my head against a wall. Always get a 'Media Error' of some kind. Same media I used under Panther though!! I've tried Memorex, Apple brand, and Sony. All DVD-R. All don't work. :(
I have a Pioneer 107D and I use nothing but Ritek/RiData media. I haven't had a coaster is well over a hundred burns, both -R and -RW.

keysersoze
May 19, 2005, 03:13 PM
I have a Pioneer 107D and I use nothing but Ritek/RiData media. I haven't had a coaster is well over a hundred burns, both -R and -RW.

Thanks! I'll give that a whirl. Hope it works!

jalagl
May 19, 2005, 04:34 PM

I'm still on Panther, so I wasn't aware of these issues.
One more reason to wait some time before upgrading...

~Shard~
May 19, 2005, 04:42 PM
Here is the easy way folks, there is a program called ffmpegx find it and download all the little files you need to make it install. Acutally in tiger, you have to use the command line and sudo to create a folder that is missing that is needed in the install process, but it isn't anything too bad. Anyway open ffmpegx and go to the tab all the way on the right, on the right column click browse and navigate to the folder that has your video_ts folder and choose that folder. Then there is a little button down at the bottom that says something like DVDimg, punch it and sit back, in a few min you will have a image that diskutility can burn.

Yes, ffmpegx will indeed work, although I didn't find it the most user-friendly in terms of installing it and using it - so many options, no useful help files... But yes, after a while you can figure it out.

~Shard~
May 19, 2005, 04:42 PM
I'm still on Panther, so I wasn't aware of these issues.
One more reason to wait some time before upgrading...

I'm with you. Panther suits me just fine, and after reading the countless problems people have been having with Tiger, it doesn't make me want to upgrade any faster....

keysersoze
May 20, 2005, 10:45 PM
So I had a bunch of old TEON brand DVD-R's lying around. I got a 50 pack from Staples for $4.99 after rebate, like 6 months ago. I thought, what the hell, they're practically coasters anyway, let's give it a shot...

and low and behold, it worked. 3 perfect burns in a row, with the Tiger + Popcorn combination.

Unbelievable. 3 Cheers for cheap quality. :)

~Shard~
May 21, 2005, 12:43 AM
So I had a bunch of old TEON brand DVD-R's lying around. I got a 50 pack from Staples for $4.99 after rebate, like 6 months ago. I thought, what the hell, they're practically coasters anyway, let's give it a shot...

and low and behold, it worked. 3 perfect burns in a row, with the Tiger + Popcorn combination.

Unbelievable. 3 Cheers for cheap quality. :)

Sometimes you get more than what you pay for. I bought a 200 disc spindle of BenQ DVDs for $50 and haven't had one coaster or one corrupted disc yet - and I always thought they weren't the best quality either. ;)

Lucky8
Jun 6, 2005, 09:32 PM
Yup,

Rip with "Mac the Ripper", then burn with "popcorn". Works everytime in my dvd player.
Should I get Toast or Popcorn?

just_field
Sep 4, 2005, 06:18 PM
Had the same problem as original. Burning with built in mac burn software just created a useless data dvd with the VIDEO_TS folder on it.

Here's the answer. Visit this link and download the file.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

It will create an image for you that you just simply burn with disk utility. Voilla.

Enjoy

Bote
Sep 16, 2005, 09:32 AM
On a side note, I have been planning on buying Toast, but popcorn does sound so much cheaper. What are the benefits to toast for the increased money. I will not be doing anything fancy as far as burning :confused:

~Shard~
Sep 16, 2005, 10:41 AM
On a side note, I have been planning on buying Toast, but popcorn does sound so much cheaper. What are the benefits to toast for the increased money. I will not be doing anything fancy as far as burning :confused:

Now that Toast Titanium 7 is out, the differences between Toast and Popcorn are even less. It is a very powerful app, however, as you say, if you won't be needing any advanced burning functionality, and your needs are limited to to the primary offerings of Popcorn, that still may be your best bet. Personally, I think the new Toast is excellent and would recommend it, but it may be overkill for what you need - I could go into all the benefits and features, but as you say, they may not be of interest to you...

Bote
Sep 16, 2005, 12:19 PM
Now that Toast Titanium 7 is out, the differences between Toast and Popcorn are even less. It is a very powerful app, however, as you say, if you won't be needing any advanced burning functionality, and your needs are limited to to the primary offerings of Popcorn, that still may be your best bet. Personally, I think the new Toast is excellent and would recommend it, but it may be overkill for what you need - I could go into all the benefits and features, but as you say, they may not be of interest to you...

Thanks, for the price I will just pick up popcorn for now and upgrade later if I need more functionality.

~Shard~
Sep 16, 2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks, for the price I will just pick up popcorn for now and upgrade later if I need more functionality.

Sounds good - glad to have been of some help. If you have any other questions, just ask!

Eastend
Sep 18, 2005, 04:00 AM
Had the same problem as original. Burning with built in mac burn software just created a useless data dvd with the VIDEO_TS folder on it.

Here's the answer. Visit this link and download the file.

http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

It will create an image for you that you just simply burn with disk utility. Voilla.

Enjoy

To do it for free you had the correct reply, to do it easily it's Toast, but for free, dvdimager is the only way I know of.

drcock
Oct 30, 2007, 09:51 AM
I am aware this thread went on in 2005, but i found it useful today and thought i'd add this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070612161317338

Simple terminal command that creates a burnable UDF iso from a video_ts folder. perfect.

tseitz89
Apr 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Old forums are still helpful so I thought I'd add this since this forum comes up first when searching for "video_ts to DVD mac"

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

hodsolll
Dec 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
I have toast and dvdsp. Do I take my dvdsp video, select burn/format/to hard drive? Will that give me both a video_ts folder and a "quicktime" file which I can then drag into the data section of dvdsp to create multiple copies. My end goal is to take my dvdsp product with its menu and make multiple copies that will work on both dvd players and computers. Also, someone mentioned that you need to get rid of .lay and .layout files before you bring your video_ts folder into toast. Is this true?

krisfris
Feb 23, 2011, 09:40 AM
The best way I know is the fully free program "Burn". It's a clean and very simpel program where you can drag the video_ts folder to the program and burn it like a DVD that you can watch on a DVD-player.

Burn link:
http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

stu007
Jun 30, 2011, 11:26 PM
I found that creating an audio_ts folder next to the video_ts folder, and burning both straight to a dual layer dvd doesn't work all the time. Sometimes they play on a regular dvd player, and sometimes they don't. It's not related to the burning software or whether they are burned using iMac or PC. For one ripped movie that didn't work, I transferred the ripped video_ts folder to a PC using an external drive, created a blank audio_ts folder, and burned them both to a blank dvd. Got the same result - it wouldn't play on a dvd player. Also, I found that none of the dvd's that were burned using the video_ts and audio_ts folders, even ones that played on a dvd player, were recognized by my iMac 27". But, all dvd's, including the ones that didn't play on a dvd player, played fine on my PC. I think the rips for these movies from MTR 4 were fine because they played on the iMac as .dvdmedia files just by doubleclicking on them. Anyway, I think that just burning video_ts and audio_ts files to a dvd isn't a reliable method of getting dvd's to work on any dvd player. There needs to be some type of conversion to MPG or AVI or something else.

Soura2112
Jul 1, 2011, 05:51 AM
If you can afford it get Popcorn and Mactheripper. Popcorn will be useful down the road. I'm at still using my 06 version, though I have Toast 7, still prefer popcorn.

JozBaz
Aug 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
Had the same question and found this on another forum (works all the time for me):

If you wanted to make a DVD image before burning it then surely you could just open Disk Utility.app and then:

File -> New -> Disk Image From Folder

Choose the folder that contains the VIDEO_TS folder (making sure that there's nothing else in there!), and then when prompted to choose the image format, choose DVD/CD master.

When the image is ready, burn it to an empty DVD and presto.

DeafRaiders
Sep 6, 2013, 08:21 AM
Had the same question and found this on another forum (works all the time for me):

If you wanted to make a DVD image before burning it then surely you could just open Disk Utility.app and then:

File -> New -> Disk Image From Folder

Choose the folder that contains the VIDEO_TS folder (making sure that there's nothing else in there!), and then when prompted to choose the image format, choose DVD/CD master.

When the image is ready, burn it to an empty DVD and presto.
When i do this the outcome is bunch of r VOB and IFO files on the root of the DVD.

I have it got to select the root where the audio_TS and video_TS??