Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2008
when itunes does a backup during the update process, is it BEFORE or AFTER the update is applied?

will it get me back to 5.0?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
when itunes does a backup during the update process, is it BEFORE or AFTER the update is applied?

I haven't plugged my iPhone in my computer in a while but, if memory serves me right, I believe the backup is before the update is applied.

will it get me back to 5.0?

Are you asking if restoring from a backup prior to updating will get you back to a previous iOS version? I believe the answer to this is no. My understanding is that backing up doesn't back up the actual iOS but rather your content and settings.

Stoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I'd think that the update procedure would take a back up BEFORE doing the iOS update... If the update caused a problem with your data then you'd have a stuffed backup surely.

However doing a backup doesn't back up iOS, the backup is only of your data.

To restore iOS back to another version you should hold down ALT and click Check for Update and select the file that is the older version of the OS. Then you can restore your data to the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.