PDA

View Full Version : Brand new macbook air, mine craft not working.

orfeas0
Nov 10, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hello everyone. I must saw I really like the air, the portability, the speed (even though it's the 2gb version), but I have some problems.
1st) I don't like the Lion multitouch gestures (actually the ones with the thumb, is not ergonomical). But forget that.
2nd) Youtube video lists (at the right side of the video, below the advertisements) don't always show up (it shows a black space instead).
3d) Minecraft doesn't work. It's just a black window instead of the game. I installed Java, and when I open the site (I'm playing the browser version) , Java asks permission 3-4 times and even then it doesn't work. Anyone has a clue how to fix that?

Other than that, it's an awesome laptop and apple did a great job (once again).

Mmarzex
Nov 10, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hello everyone. I must saw I really like the air, the portability, the speed (even though it's the 2gb version), but I have some problems.
1st) I don't like the Lion multitouch gestures (actually the ones with the thumb, is not ergonomical). But forget that.
2nd) Youtube video lists (at the right side of the video, below the advertisements) don't always show up (it shows a black space instead).
3d) Minecraft doesn't work. It's just a black window instead of the game. I installed Java, and when I open the site (I'm playing the browser version) , Java asks permission 3-4 times and even then it doesn't work. Anyone has a clue how to fix that?

Other than that, it's an awesome laptop and apple did a great job (once again).

Why would you not use the actual client. From my experience the browser based version is slow and does not offer the best experience. I can hardly ever get it to work when I try.

orfeas0
Nov 10, 2011, 07:07 PM
Why would you not use the actual client. From my experience the browser based version is slow and does not offer the best experience. I can hardly ever get it to work when I try.

As far as I know, the multiplayer classic version doesn't exist as a client, you can only play it through a browser.

Mmarzex
Nov 11, 2011, 06:00 AM
As far as I know, the multiplayer classic version doesn't exist as a client, you can only play it through a browser.

Oh did not realize you were using classic. What browser are you using?

orfeas0
Nov 11, 2011, 07:26 AM
Oh did not realize you were using classic. What browser are you using?

Webkit. I'm gonna try with safari and chrome and post results.
edit: Tried with chrome, same thing. 3 permission windows from java 1 after the other (I clicked allow to all of them), then after 10 seconds another permission window from java.
Then just a black screen instead of the game.
In windows that black screen never happened, but the weirdest part is that it never asked for permission (maybe once which lasted 10+ sessions..?).

edit2: I tried on firefox too, same thing...
Any suggestions?

orfeas0
Nov 11, 2011, 11:51 AM
Bump. Anyone else with a macbook air can try and tell me if it works?

Rdmr2
Dec 14, 2011, 10:34 AM
I recently got a similar (2GB/11") MacBook Air and have run into the exact same problem attempting minecraft. Similar lack of success with different browsers etc., etc. Did you ever find any solutions??

orfeas0
Dec 14, 2011, 11:42 AM
I recently got a similar (2GB/11") MacBook Air and have run into the exact same problem attempting minecraft. Similar lack of success with different browsers etc., etc. Did you ever find any solutions??

Sorry no... It seems minecraft (maybe it's Java's problem, don't know) doesn't work in OSX Lion (neither does it work in a friend's 13" 2011 model).
But I have a boot camp partition anyway ;)

Rdmr2
Dec 14, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thanks ! I was afraid that might be the case. It seems that all the Minecraft/Mac-Air users that I read about online are pre-OSX.

I'm new to Macs in general. Was a boot camp partition difficult to pull off? --- I'm sure info on details are available online --- but I was wondering how much work overall was involved . . .

I did stumble upon this, when searching about, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lns8k5JKpmM

lowercasej
Dec 14, 2011, 01:24 PM
Not sure about Minecraft "classic", but the full version of Minecraft most certainly works on any Mac running Lion with Java installed. No need for a bootcamp partition to run it.