PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo and Apple find common ground

MacBytes
May 18, 2005, 08:45 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Games
Link: Nintendo and Apple find common ground (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050518094514)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
May 18, 2005, 09:29 AM
Great. Both XBox and Nintendo use a PPC chip under the hood, now, but Mac games are still in a sad state.

nagromme
May 18, 2005, 09:37 AM
And Sony's next Playstation too.

This (and MS using Macs to make and show X-Box 360 games) will gain respect/awareness for IBM, the PPC architecture, and for Apple too--in general and for games.

But that effect will take time. So will other efforts like, Apple's new expanded OpenGL team, the steady rise of marketshare, usage of Tiger's new dev features, and the infamous iPod halo effect.

So don't expect the benefit to Mac gaming to be direct and instant.

I game on my Mac daily, and the games I want exist and run well. That's not true for everyone... yet...

wrldwzrd89
May 18, 2005, 09:55 AM
I always thought Nintendo and Apple were similar. Maybe that's why I'm just as much a Nintendo person as I am an Apple person.

Alukardo
May 18, 2005, 10:07 AM
As in both of them being former kings who then became undedogs in their respective markets? :)

wrldwzrd89
May 18, 2005, 10:17 AM
As in both of them being former kings who then became undedogs in their respective markets? :)
That statement is true of Nintendo, certainly...but Apple never had that kind of dominance with their computers, as far as I am aware.

ZildjianKX
May 18, 2005, 10:22 AM

Not to mention both have to rely on the quality of their "software" to keep their loyal following happy.

Wai_TungLeung
May 18, 2005, 10:54 AM
I'm still waiting for them to join forces and create a Mac machine that can penetrate the home with loads of easy software and penetrate the living room with loads of games. :D

Course there's probably a greater chance of The Beatles reuniting, but one can dream can't he? :p (The Beatles reuniting would be a brilliant too)

Jalexster
May 18, 2005, 11:09 AM
Apple and Nintendo.

Both have a large market share in one market (Portable Games/Audio) and a small share in another (Computers/Consoles).
Both keep things under wraps.
Both appear to have inferior systems, when they are in fact superior.
Both provide the hardware and software for their products, instead of one or the other.
Both have cool keynotes.
Both tend to disregard the competition's ideas, and make their own.
Both are obsessed with the end user's interface and experience.

Overall, I'd say they are very similar. Unfortunately, when it comes down to it, most people here on MacRumors, just like every other forum, support Sony instead. It seems like everyone hates Nintendo. You would expect the fans of one underdog (Apple) to support another underdog (Nintendo). But instead, the supporters of the first underdog (Apple), support one of the big companies (Sony), and even go as far as insulting (referring to as a troll) people who support the second underdog (Nintendo). It annoys me.

CrackedButter
May 18, 2005, 11:45 AM
If I had to buy a console, I'd get a portable nintendo console first, then a nintendo console, I'd buy SONY next and MS not at all. I'm interested by the mini gameboy but I'd soon as get the other one thats already out.

madmaxmedia
May 18, 2005, 11:50 AM
You would expect the fans of one underdog (Apple) to support another underdog (Nintendo). But instead, the supporters of the first underdog (Apple), support one of the big companies (Sony), and even go as far as insulting (referring to as a troll) people who support the second underdog (Nintendo). It annoys me.

I expect people to support whatever company/console has the games they like. Which for many or most is Sony.

wrldwzrd89
May 18, 2005, 12:14 PM
I expect people to support whatever company/console has the games they like. Which for many or most is Sony.
The vast majority of Playstation games don't appeal to me at all. Xbox fares even worse, with only 1 game (Dungeons & Dragons - Heroes) that looks even remotely interesting to me. Nintendo, however, seems to hit the jackpot with me.

Jalexster
May 18, 2005, 01:13 PM

It's just not nice to be called a troll when you say that you like the DS more than the PSP on MacRumors. How can I be trolling on a neutral forum?

IanC
May 18, 2005, 01:34 PM
It's just not nice to be called a troll when you say that you like the DS more than the PSP on MacRumors. How can I be trolling on a neutral forum?
Wow, that sucks :(

BTW, i prefer the DS too :)

Bunzi2k4
May 18, 2005, 02:01 PM
I prefer the Ds over the PSP. The PSP's games seem to all be on the PS2. So why buy the psp if I can play the same games on my ps2? But now that the PSP have emulators (nes, snes, gba), I don't really know...

But the DS has Linux w00t!

Dr. Dastardly
May 18, 2005, 06:54 PM
I prefer the Ds over the PSP. The PSP's games seem to all be on the PS2. So why buy the psp if I can play the same games on my ps2? But now that the PSP have emulators (nes, snes, gba), I don't really know...

But the DS has Linux w00t!
And it can also act as a TI 86! w00t w00t!

shamino
May 19, 2005, 03:59 PM
That statement is true of Nintendo, certainly...but Apple never had that kind of dominance with their computers, as far as I am aware.
Unless you count the Apple II series - those were quite dominant in their day, despite fierce competition from Atari and Commodore.

I still believe that there was a lot of life left in the II, and it would've evolved into an incredible system (with the IIgs being the first step in that direction) had Jobs not killed it (because it was taking away too many Mac sales.)