Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_match_wipe_nov12th.jpg

As it has a number of times during developer testing, Apple has just sent out an email to registered developers indicating that it will once again be deleting their iTunes Match libraries. The latest deletion is scheduled for tomorrow, November 12th.
As we prepare for the launch of iTunes Match, we will be deleting all current iCloud libraries on Saturday, November 12th at 10 AM PST.

Please turn off iTunes Match on all of your computers and iOS devices. On your computer, choose Store > Turn off iTunes Match. On your iOS device, tap Settings > Music, then turn off iTunes Match. On your Apple TV, please choose Music > Turn off iTunes Match.

The songs on your computer should not be affected. As always, please backup regularly and do not delete the music you add to iCloud from your computer.
Apple has modified the language from past notices to include a specific time for the deletion (10 AM PST) and reference to the deletion coming as Apple "prepare for the launch of iTunes Match". Consequently, the development may offer some hope that a public debut of the service may now be near.

Apple had initially announced that iTunes Match would debut in the United States by the end of October, but the company missed that target and has not provided an updated timeframe for the launch. The company has since issued a new iTunes beta to continue testing.

Article Link: Apple Once Again Deleting Developers' iTunes Match Libraries on November 12th

Torresangel88

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hopefully by next week :D

frankjl

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
Delete away apple.

I am all with testing rigorously before deployment. It is a habit of mine when I embark on my IT projects or pretty much anything that consist of affecting x amount of users. The less bugs/error the more success.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Well although delayed, I can say the quality of Match has improved significantly over the beta. I have 'laundered' nearly my entire library with 256 iTunes quality.
The metadata handling isn't pretty (album art, lyrics) but it is pretty much otherwise all I had hoped for.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I wish they would add a metadata clean up feature (so that it matches iTunes Store metadata) to iTunes Match. Currently, it just keeps your metadata.

anberlinairlift

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Charlotte Hall, MD
Delete away apple.

I am all with testing rigorously before deployment. It is a habit of mine when I embark on my IT projects or pretty much anything that consist of affecting x amount of users. The less bugs/error the more success.

+1.

As a regular consumer (and not a developer), I'd much rather Apple get iTunes Match working nicely, rather than releasing something that's half-assed and chock full of bugs just so they can meet their original "end of October" deadline.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I wish they would add a metadata clean up feature (so that it matches iTunes Store metadata) to iTunes Match. Currently, it just keeps your metadata.

Yeah I agree. But then again I am not sure there is a perfect way to manage this. There is awful lot of songs that also appear on 'best of' or compilation albums, or artists 'featuring' other artists. In those cases I don't really like iTunes default information.

TexasTexan

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Looking forward to its final release. Got my library working and pretty happy with how it works. It was bumpy getting everything put into the cloud and hoping they improve the matching even more in the final release.

I was hoping to upgrade some lower quality tracks but since I had an issue, all of my tracks say waiting even though they are in the cloud. Other than that, works pretty well.

Looking forward to one final upload of everything and calling it good finally...lol

xxundrclssherox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
Thank God

Hopefully they can fix some issues so I don't run into issues syncing my music.
It stil downloaded like 1000 songs that I knew were in the iTunes store last time I synced

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Hopefully the delayed launch is because they're making it available internationally (NZ??!)

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010

What metadata do iTunes song have (haven't bought anything from them yet)? Do all songs come with album covers and lyrics? :)

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I know this will upgrade legit tunes I’ve ripped or purchased from other services. Will iTunes match also include purchases made by my family via their iTunes accounts? My Computer/iPhone are authorized to play the songs, but iTunes in the cloud currently, and understandably don’t include those available to re-download.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010

If they ever did that then it would have to be optional in order to avoid messing up the libraries of all of us who spend hours sorting out our metadata the way we want it.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Anticipating this greatly. I encoded my entire cd collection ten years ago, and used the discs for a big reflective art project. Having moved this library between drives & computers probably a hundred + times, some of these files are a bit glitchy, and it'd be great to get them upgraded. ...fingers crossed that I can listen to Atom Heart Mother without having to buy it yet again.

So maybe after buying the LP (wears out), another LP, Cassette, CD, Remastered CD, Anniv CD, Deluxe Boxed Set CD... hopefully with iTunes Match, I'll finally just permanently own a copy of the recording I can listen to.

...or is it actually uploading local copies of these files? Seems like it'd be a waste of space for their server farm to store three million mp3's of the Beatles White Album, including a half a million with incorrect metadata or glitches, when they could just have one and permission everyone who has a local copy to it.

Last edited:

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Really looking forward to this

It looks like Apple is taking steps to get this right.
I'll readily accept a launch delay so that when it goes live for millions it still works as it did when it was being tested by thousands.

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
If they ever did that then it would have to be optional in order to avoid messing up the libraries of all of us who spend hours sorting out our metadata the way we want it.

Agreed. I seem to have an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to my metadata. I spend hours tweaking it to my liking. I don't like the way iTunes tracks come for the most part.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Anticipating this greatly. I encoded my entire cd collection ten years ago, and used the discs for a big reflective art project. Having moved this library between drives & computers probably a hundred + times, some of these files are a bit glitchy, and it'd be great to get them upgraded. ...fingers crossed that I can listen to Atom Heart Mother without having to buy it yet again.

Hope you did ALAC or FLAC.

ivladster

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Washington DC
It must be really hard working with 20 million different songs. I bet creating rules is a nightmare. There's so many different versions of the songs. Sometimes user might not even have the right name of the song or the album or the artist. I wonder if Apple has a way to "Shazam" some songs that it can't find through user's metadata.

Icculus

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007
Frisco, TX

Sorry this is the one feature that was a deal breaker for me. If they matched all my songs to the iTunes store metadata that would be AWFUL. I am ridiculously anal about metadata and 7/10 iTunes doesn't even get it right...wrong genre, wrong year of release date (remastered doesn't change it from a 1977 album to 2010...sorry.) So I am very happy they are keeping local metadata...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.