Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
bought it for $550 about a year ago. could probably get $350~ for it now. I have a MacBook air 13" now and love it but still not entirely sure if I could leave windows yet (don't want to dual boot on the air). I don't know why but I'm worried if I ever need to do something the MacBook can't to. don't know what that something is though lol.

using windows is extremely aggravating for me now. and the fact that it doesn't have ssd makes it unbearable. any other new Mac converts going through the same thing?

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
bought it for $550 about a year ago. could probably get $350~ for it now. I have a MacBook air 13" now and love it but still not entirely sure if I could leave windows yet (don't want to dual boot on the air). I don't know why but I'm worried if I ever need to do something the MacBook can't to. don't know what that something is though lol.

using windows is extremely aggravating for me now. and the fact that it doesn't have ssd makes it unbearable. any other new Mac converts going through the same thing?

About the only thing I cannot do on Mac OSX that I can on Windows is play certain games. That's it. I would sell your Windows machine and use that money for Applecare on the Air.
---
ADDENDUM: And use whatever is left of that money to invest into buying a bigger SSD to run bootcamp...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
About the only thing I cannot do on Mac OSX that I can on Windows is play certain games. That's it. I would sell your Windows machine and use that money for Applecare on the Air.
---
ADDENDUM: And use whatever is left of that money to invest into buying a bigger SSD to run bootcamp...

The ssd upgrades are pretty expensive, and the macbook air does not run well under windows (battery goes too fast). If he sold the Windows laptop at the suggested residual value, he'd still have to choose one or the other.

On a side note it annoys me that applecare is still required for a decent warranty length. It made sense when Apple was having troubles. With the starting price of their machines, they shouldn't start below the level of other notable oems in this regard.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
The ssd upgrades are pretty expensive, and the macbook air does not run well under windows (battery goes too fast). If he sold the Windows laptop at the suggested residual value, he'd still have to choose one or the other.

On a side note it annoys me that applecare is still required for a decent warranty length. It made sense when Apple was having troubles. With the starting price of their machines, they shouldn't start below the level of other notable oems in this regard.

Yeah, I went looking at OWC drives after I post scripted that. Sheesh, I had no idea they were that much more, I'm used to 2.5" drives. I also just looked on apple.com. At purchase I thought you could boost a 128GB to 256GB on the base 13" for an extra $100? Anyway, yeah that upgrade isn't feasible. Okay, how about one of these numbers instead:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1206894/

I don't know, maybe it's not worth the hassle factor. I was just looking for a way that Sangdushi could free up enough space on his SSD that he could still run Windows also.

And I agree Applecare is too expensive, but I've noticed some of the other manufacturers have started raising their price. Still, for an extra 2 years peace of mind...

daftpunkstu

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Edinburgh
Sell the windows, seriously you won't regret it
signature_cheekytonguesmile.jpg
everyone thinks that they need it for little things but there is 9/10 a mac equivalent and if you really look at it you probably dont use it much anyways. what's your feelings against bootcamp? seems the obvious decision to me.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Sell the windows, seriously you won't regret it Image everyone thinks that they need it for little things but there is 9/10 a mac equivalent and if you really look at it you probably dont use it much anyways. what's your feelings against bootcamp? seems the obvious decision to me.

If you have 256Gb SSD dual booting is viable, with 128Gb it`s not impossible however space management would always be a constant concern. I have a 256Gb Air with 120GB free this leaves plenty of space for expansion, and no need to cary external drives about.

The other way to look at it is; why waste valuable space on the SSD for Windows and associated programs when you already have a PC unless you absolutely must have both platforms for on the go use, it`s not like the proceeds from selling the PC is going to be a game changer ;)

Last edited:

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
I put it to sell. hopefully I don't miss it after its gone. what's it called? Stockholm syndrome?

Sangdushi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2011
Do you have a firm offer?

That sounds kind of optimistic ... windows laptops depreciate a whole bunch just getting them out of the box.

its a thinkpad, they hold their value better than other windows laptops. the model I'm selling also sells for around $350 refurbished.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I kept my up laptop...sentimental reason is it was my first laptop...useful reason, I still use excel on it...still getting used to excel on my macs

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Keep it. After buying a 2010 Air, I kept my Dell Latitude 4310 with i5 cpu, and use it for working on Excel/Word documents. I use the Air for everything else. If anything, using the Dell for work will extend the life of the Air.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
India
Keep it. After buying a 2010 Air, I kept my Dell Latitude 4310 with i5 cpu, and use it for working on Excel/Word documents. I use the Air for everything else. If anything, using the Dell for work will extend the life of the Air.

I'm about to switch from Win to Mac, and my big worry is whether Office documents are compatible between the two. Using Windows in my office, and I dont want to spend for a Mac desktop there.

Any reason you keep a PC for excel/word? I was hoping to get rid of Windows for good.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I'm about to switch from Win to Mac, and my big worry is whether Office documents are compatible between the two. Using Windows in my office, and I dont want to spend for a Mac desktop there.

Any reason you keep a PC for excel/word? I was hoping to get rid of Windows for good.

There are so many ways to open/edit MS Office files it's not even funny. Personally I prefer to use a combination of Google Docs and LibreOffice, but MS Office for Mac pricing is reasonable for home licensed versions.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I put it to sell. hopefully I don't miss it after its gone. what's it called? Stockholm syndrome?

I kept my Dell Latitude 4310 with i5 cpu, and use it for working on Excel/Word documents.

You wont miss your windows notebook, you wont miss windows at all. You should definetly sell it while you still can. If you want to play games, you should have a dedicated windows machine, not some laptop.

Regarding office files.....have you guys heard of openoffice.org? It is free for both Mac and Windows. Seriously, nobody buys MS Office any more....

Openoffice can open any word, excel, etc file....your problems are over. And yes, you can save on one OS and open in the other...it works!

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Only you can evaluate your needs as feelings. If you want to sell it, sell it. If you don't, don't. Also, just because a refurb sells for a certain amount I wouldn't expect yours too. Refurbs come with manufacturer warranty etc. the buyer has no idea of your history with the machine and whatnot.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Should you sell your Windows laptop?

Hmm that's a tough one.

Yes

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.