PDA

View Full Version : replaced hd, now logic board problem

shorty116
May 18, 2005, 12:49 PM
i have had a logic board replacement like 1 month ago. right after i got it back i replaced the hd myself - was no problem at all (didn't damage anything). so today i noticed some flickering of the display, only some flickering nothing of the other LB problems, yet. i remember that the first time i had a problem with the logicboard it started just like this. so basically i have 2 questions:

1. shall i bring em my ibook right now or wait until the logic board fails with all of the problems (freezing, GS of death, black at startup, lines on display, etc...).

2. i had it replaced at an apple service provider, they did it in their store, just ordered a new lb. didn't ship the ibook anywhere. shall i replace my new HD with the original one before bringing it to them. does apple keep track of something an apple service provider does - i mean logic board, ok. but do they inform apple if they replace a hd, so apple knows a professional did it and the warranty isn't voided? i'm 100% sure that they wouldn't notice if a professional did the replace or me (sounds cocky...but i have seen what they have done to my ibook while replacing the logic board, they made some scars, and when i replaced the hd i noticed that THEY have lost some screws, so they were missing)

calyxman
May 18, 2005, 03:04 PM
i have had a logic board replacement like 1 month ago. right after i got it back i replaced the hd myself - was no problem at all (didn't damage anything). so today i noticed some flickering of the display, only some flickering nothing of the other LB problems, yet. i remember that the first time i had a problem with the logicboard it started just like this. so basically i have 2 questions:

1. shall i bring em my ibook right now or wait until the logic board fails with all of the problems (freezing, GS of death, black at startup, lines on display, etc...).

2. i had it replaced at an apple service provider, they did it in their store, just ordered a new lb. didn't ship the ibook anywhere. shall i replace my new HD with the original one before bringing it to them. does apple keep track of something an apple service provider does - i mean logic board, ok. but do they inform apple if they replace a hd, so apple knows a professional did it and the warranty isn't voided? i'm 100% sure that they wouldn't notice if a professional did the replace or me (sounds cocky...but i have seen what they have done to my ibook while replacing the logic board, they made some scars, and when i replaced the hd i noticed that THEY have lost some screws, so they were missing)

What kind of flickering are you noticing? Is it in the backlight? If you try holding a flashlight to the back of the screen, do you still see your desktop or any images?

I would take it to Apple first (go to a Genius Bar). Have them look at it. If they say it's the LB, then have them replace it. I wouldn't mention anything about the HD.

If they say no, that it's not the LB--and you sound like you have no problem taking one of these things apart--then the problem is your invertor cable. You can buy a replacement from smalldog.com with shipping for $27 altogether.

Just because Apple fixes something, doesn't mean they always do a clean job. One user on this forum mentioned how the bezel on their iBook was cracked after their iBook was repaired.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

shorty116
May 18, 2005, 05:22 PM
the flickering itself is like 4-5 times in a second so no chance to test with a flashlight, but sometimes when i wake up my ibook there is no backlight, i can see the desktop but very dark like the backlight would stay off (i heard this could have to do something with tiger!?!)

just noticed the screen flickers also if i open/close the display (but it won't stay dark or off for more then like tenth of a second).

i live in austria, no Apple Store - no Genius bar (and the apple service providers i know don't seem to have competent employees - they can deattach hardware and replace broken parts, but it doesn't seem that they know why it broke - they didn't even know about the LBRE program)

so does anybody know if they keep track of what service providers do?

shorty116
May 19, 2005, 03:37 AM
i just tried, they blacklight doesn't go off, i can't see anything even with flashlight so i think it ain't the invertor cable, the apple logo on the backside keeps glowing when the screen is flickering. it sorta repairs itself - i opened the display and it flickered continously, but after some shaking of the display it slowed down flickering until it stopped.