PDA

View Full Version : Applecare Timing - Different Question

Internaut
Nov 12, 2011, 02:29 PM
Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the other thread as I think my question is different. When I bought my white MacBook, the advice at the time was to buy Applecare whenever but not to activate it until just before the end of the first year of ownership. So, I effectively had three years of warranty on my MacBook.

Is this advice still good today (three years and two months later)?

Swain
Nov 12, 2011, 02:36 PM
Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the other thread as I think my question is different. When I bought my white MacBook, the advice at the time was to buy Applecare whenever but not to activate it until just before the end of the first year of ownership. So, I effectively had three years of warranty on my MacBook.

Is this advice still good today (three years and two months later)?

Question: do you mean effectively three year by AppleCare after your 1 year standard warranty expired? If that's what you mean, then no AppleCare starts from the date you bought your Macbook.

So even if you activate it 6months after your purchase, it will expire exactly 3 years after the initial purchase of the Macbook.

The explanation might be a little complex, but I hope you get my point.

Internaut
Nov 12, 2011, 02:43 PM
Question: do you mean effectively three year by AppleCare after your 1 year standard warranty expired? If that's what you mean, then no AppleCare starts from the date you bought your Macbook.

So even if you activate it 6months after your purchase, it will expire exactly 3 years after the initial purchase of the Macbook.

The explanation might be a little complex, but I hope you get my point.

Thanks for the quick response. No, your explanation is not complex. It merely indicates that things seem to have changed since I bought my first MacBook. I bought Applecare from an Apple Store, soon after I bought my MacBook and was advised that I had up to a year to activate it and that the two years of additional warranty would be from the activation date (maybe the advice was not good - it was a new Apple Store with fresh faced, possibly under trained staff).

I suspected this would be the case...... When I bought my new iPad 2 from the same Apple Store a couple of weeks back, they insisted on activating AppleCare on the spot!

NutsNGum
Nov 12, 2011, 02:47 PM
I don't think things have changed, Internaut. I just think the person who sold it to you didn't know what they were talking about.

Internaut
Nov 12, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't think things have changed, Internaut. I just think the person who sold it to you didn't know what they were talking about.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that ever happened.