Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mauly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
I seem to remember someone saying you can turn up the memory performance? I believe (for example) you can set it to 30% for basic to 100% for really intensive stuff!! Is this an option on the new iMac?

I can't find this option anywhere :)

mauly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
iGary said:
Do you mean processor performance?

That's under system preferences>energy settings.

Thanks iGary, yeah that sounds about right! is there anypoint in leaving it in automatic - should I just set it to highest!?

ps, does this mean its using more power in sleep..

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mauly said:
Thanks iGary, yeah that sounds about right! is there anypoint in leaving it in automatic - should I just set it to highest!?

ps, does this mean its using more power in sleep..

Leave it on highest unless a couple of bucks a year is a big deal...

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Actually, highest performance keeps your computer revving 24/7 unless you manually put it to sleep. If you keep it on highest performance all the time without sleeping manually it will shorten the life of the parts in your computer and they will fail sooner than they would've. Not that it'll die 2 days after you set it to highest, but it might make components like the hard disk die in a couple of years if you keep it spinning forever. That said, I very often keep it set to highest performance, but if I'm not doing anything intensive I back it down to automatic.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
motulist said:
Actually, highest performance keeps your computer revving 24/7 unless you manually put it to sleep. If you keep it on highest performance all the time without sleeping manually it will shorten the life of the parts in your computer and they will fail sooner than they would've. Not that it'll die 2 days after you set it to highest, but it might make components like the hard disk die in a couple of years if you keep it spinning forever. That said, I very often keep it set to highest performance, but if I'm not doing anything intensive I back it down to automatic.
That is the biggest load of misinformation I have read recently. Setting performance to "highest" is a *processor" setting, and does *not* mean the CPU runs at 100% when it has nothing to do, it simply means it will not nap (different than sleep) or drop down to a lower clock rate when it's idle. What do you think, that "highest" performance means it creates artificial work just to keep the CPU "revving 24/7"? It will *not* shorten the life of your machine. It has NOTHING to do with your disk; the disk has a completely different energy setting. Where do people get this stuff?

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
daveL said:
That is the biggest load of misinformation I have read recently. Setting performance to "highest" is a *processor" setting, and does *not* mean the CPU runs at 100% when it has nothing to do, it simply means it will not nap (different than sleep) or drop down to a lower clock rate when it's idle. What do you think, that "highest" performance means it creates artificial work just to keep the CPU "revving 24/7"? It will *not* shorten the life of your machine. It has NOTHING to do with your disk; the disk has a completely different energy setting. Where do people get this stuff?

They get it from their _______ . (You can fill in the blank.)

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
daveL said:

Hey dingus, just where exactly in my post did I say processor performance? I said "highest performance", which if you'll look, is NOT an option for the processor. You can set the "Processor Performance: Highest" but you CANNOT set "Processor Performance: Highest Performance". When I said highest performance I was referring to setting "Optimize Energy Settings: Highest Performance" as I thought was clear by referring to the HARD DISK dying, not the processor! Perhaps I should have dumbed down my message to account for the Homo Erectus on the Macrumors forum like yourself. If it was unclear, then you should be polite and explain why you disagree but there is absolutely no reason for you to act like an ******. Grow up!

And that goes for you too auxplage.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
motulist said:
Hey dingus, just where exactly in my post did I say processor performance? I said "highest performance", which if you'll look, is NOT an option for the processor. You can set the "Processor Performance: Highest" but you CANNOT set "Processor Performance: Highest Performance". When I said highest performance I was referring to setting "Optimize Energy Settings: Highest Performance" as I thought was clear by referring to the HARD DISK dying, not the processor! Perhaps I should have dumbed down my message to account for the Homo Erectus on the Macrumors forum like yourself. If it was unclear, then you should be polite and explain why you disagree but there is absolutely no reason for you to act like an ******. Grow up!

And that goes for you too auxplage.
The settings you are referring to are only available on laptops, i.e. systems with a battery. They're battery life profiles, and they certainly do have something to do with the processor, whether you mentioned it or not. The "Put the disk to sleep whenever possible" check box and "Processor Performance" options are also available on all G5 systems, although they don't have the setting to which you referred, since they don't have a battery. The G4 desktops don't have the setting you mentioned or the "Processor Performance" options.

Since the only system specifically noted in the thread was an iMac G5, I'm not quite sure where your assumption that the discussion was laptop- specific comes into play. At the very least, it might help to mention that fact in your post.

And thank you very much, I'm fully grown and then some.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
daveL said:

They pull it out of their ass. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.