Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jlynskey

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I bought the up for both my wife and I. I had to exchange one because the only button on it stopped working. The sleep and activity tracking seem to work very well. The food tracking seems thrown together. Hopefully they continue to improve on it. I would buy it based on the sleep and activity tracking alone and I trust jawbone to improve on the food aspect. If you have any other questions I will try to answer.

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
I bought two and took them back. Not even close to ready for prime time (the hardware or the app). It records crazy variances in steps, the software sucks, no website or integration with other apps. I'm sure it will get better but it's not there yet. Jawbone knows it...they just sent out "thanks for being an early adopter" coupons.

Traded them both in for fitbits and couldn't be happier.

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
Oh, and if you're not moving your arms the Up won't record. So ellipticals, bikes, and even walking with your hands in your pockets in the cold...you're out of luck.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
There are some obvious downsides to the UP, like having to move your arms in order to get the step recording for one. However I'm liking it so far - the smart alarm function is pretty nifty. I guess I could use a snooze function added to the alarm but I'm sure things could be added on the software/firmware side of things in the future.

The App isn't the smoothest app I've used, but for me at least, it does everything I need/want it to do - recording general activity and alarm. If you happen to buy it from Best Buy you could always return it in...I think 30 days :)

*It also has a power nap function apparently that wakes you up in 30 mins - Push Push Push+Hold (blinking moon), which isn't documented but seems to be working. :)

Stewie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
Austin
Piece of crap and customer service sucks!

My Up lasted all of 11 hours before it died. I have been dealing with customer service and waiting for a replacement for 8 days and counting. Sadly I am not the only one that has a dead UP.

I am thinking they rushed this POS to market for the holiday season, but I don't think that plan is going to work out so well for them.

It is a great idea, but poorly executed.

njgeek

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2011
UP is a wrist worn fitbit that shouldn't be on the wrist. Get a fitbit, thank me after you're fiendishly trying to get 20k steps and 20 flights of stairs a day.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
Had it for a week, and I didn't like it, took it back, very simple, not enough functions...

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Had it for a week, and I didn't like it, took it back, very simple, not enough functions...

I agree with you on that. Maybe I just had a bad UP but it counted things as steps that had nothing to do with walking! Thats just how bad it was! However, I did like the sleep function, but not $100 like. I returned mine and bought the sleep cycle app. IMO the sleep cycle app works better anyways!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Oh, and if you're not moving your arms the Up won't record. So ellipticals, bikes, and even walking with your hands in your pockets in the cold...you're out of luck.

Not to mention walking around the mall for a mile with a shopping bag in your hand :p
I'm testing one myself as well and can agree with most of what people have said here. It does make for a nice vibrating alarm clock though. Silent and effective not even who ever is sleeping with you won't be disturbed.

Battery is great on mine so far. Had it for three days and battery is about 70%.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I actually purchased the up and got a medium but it was far to small so I took it back. I then found a large and said... ok... lets give it a try. I have worn this one for 3 days so far. I like the vibration alarm function but honestly... I like sleeping until the last possible minute.

Ok, next feature.. the food pictures.... uh? well... all it does is take a picture and ask you how you felt afterwards. This feature is total crap. I would like more info about the foods I eat such as calories consumed.. etc.

Now on to the main feature.... the pedometer? I guess that is what I will call it. Its kind of nice to be reminded every so often that you are not active but come on. I wore it in the car while driving out of town and it kept telling me I hadn't done anything so that was reassuring. I don't know the accuracy of the steps it counts but it does detect movement. I used it while riding my bike the other day and it logged the complete workout but was way off the milage count and just displayed steps.

I had heard others say they used it while swimming and that was interesting to me but all its going to do is log stamps not strokes. I consider myself already very active and such a device doesn't do much for me. I would be more impressed if it did Heart Rate but it doesn't.

I have to say that after 3 days the novelty is wearing off pretty fast. the constant need to sync is also a burden, couldn't jawbone have made this thing bluetooth for 100 bones. It is a fund device but I know myself and after a month.. I doubt I would want to keep seeing how many steps I take in a day or what my food looked like.

I wouldn't recommend this device for someone who is already pretty active. I am returning the UP and waiting for a future release that adds some features I can truly use.

radmonkeyx

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
DFW-TX
i was just about to purchase one but may wait now after the reviews. i am wondering if jawbone is updating with better guts, cause they only have black for sale?

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
I want the UP just for the vibrating alarm to wakeup in the morning. I don't care about all the other stuff. But I don't want a $100 alarm clock. #firstworldproblems

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
rKunda,

the problem with the vibrating alarm clock is that it does not wake you at a specific time but rather during a specific time window of 30 minutes. Its supposed to wake based on your sleep pattern but if you are in deep sleep... does it really matter? I was woken up this morning during heavy sleep and I was not refreshed and was a bit annoyed when I saw I had 20 minutes more I could have slept.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.