PDA

View Full Version : Sold iPad 2 and picked up MBA 1.4ghz for $600

AlvinNguyen
Nov 12, 2011, 07:37 PM
Its crazy how low the prices came down on the 2010 MBA but I just picked up a mint one for $600 - I sold my iPad 2 + leather portfolio + smart cover for $530 - for that small price difference the MBA is a much better choice.

I'm a fashion photographer and I always bring my MBP 17" to locations and it's getting to be too much with my big asia trip coming up. I never edit on location anyways, only file transfers and looking over the shots. I'll probably pick up the iPad 3 to use as my portfolio (that's what my iPad 2 have been for). I don't really see myself ever using my iPad original or the iPad 2 - I just take it to meetings but I can easily do that with the air too. With a case + keyboard (needed for long email runs that I have to do) it's about the same weight as an air. The only thing I'm really missing is the longer battery life but for $70 more I'm really happy with the MBA. It does feel weird to have 2 laptops - I still have to travel with both of them. I will be leaving the 17" in the hotel for editing but for location shoots I'll bring the MBA.

heyloo
Nov 12, 2011, 08:09 PM
Grats on your new MBA :) I got mine 2 weeks ago and it's great! Welcome to the 'family'(?) :D

infernoguy
Nov 13, 2011, 03:52 PM
I just did the same thing and loving it! I am definitely missing the battery life of the iPad but having a lightweight laptop with a full keyboard more than makes up for it. Enjoy!

ABadSanta
Nov 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
How did you find it for only $600?

I've been looking at ebay and can't find anything close to that.

AlvinNguyen
Nov 13, 2011, 05:18 PM
How did you find it for only $600?

I've been looking at ebay and can't find anything close to that.

I found it on CL for $650 and bargain it down to $600 - didn't come with a box but it has charger and all that and the warranty is out in 2 weeks but it was such a good deal and in great condition. For only a hundred more after I sold my iPad 2 16gb wifi and accessories I think it's quite a steal :p

jrfive0
Nov 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
you should def. add applecare before the 2 weeks is up !

AlvinNguyen
Nov 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
you should def. add applecare before the 2 weeks is up !

I don't know if I want to do that considering it's $250 and I only paid $600 for the machine :/

cedwhatev
Nov 13, 2011, 07:26 PM
You can get AppleCare on eBay for cheaper, but be careful who you buy it from! Make sure they've sold them before and have good feedback!

ABadSanta
Nov 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
I found it on CL for $650 and bargain it down to $600 - didn't come with a box but it has charger and all that and the warranty is out in 2 weeks but it was such a good deal and in great condition. For only a hundred more after I sold my iPad 2 16gb wifi and accessories I think it's quite a steal :p

That's awesome- I have to keep looking at craigslist.

AlvinNguyen
Nov 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
That's awesome- I have to keep looking at craigslist.

Yeah, at roughly $100 more than the cost of an iPad 2 16gb wifi used, you're looking at an entirely more robust beast of a machine! Bigger screen, flash, apps, 64gb vs 16gb on the iPad and the keyboard - this is where it's not even feasible to chose the iPad.

I still need to get something to showcase my portfolio but I'm eyeing the Kindle Fire for that :D I would only need a tablet to put my pictures on to bring to meetings with art directors. Plus, at the price of a Kindle Fire I'll take both that + the air lol.