PDA

View Full Version : Free Will Vs. Determinism Resources, what are your thoughts?

SamIchi
Nov 13, 2011, 02:18 AM
I heard some thoughts about the topic of free will and determinism / predeterminism (not sure about the difference), on an NPR show, and found it really interesting. I believe it was Radiolab with Brian Greene as a guest talking about physics, and quantum mechanics.

I would love to learn more about it, without having to get too deep into it. Are there any layman friendly resources, like documentaries, audio or articles I could get my hands on? All I can find are some amateur made videos on youtube.

So from what I understand, pre-determinism says that pretty much all of life has been written since the beginning of time, based on physics. Everything from the choices we make, it's all based on the chemical reactions in our brains, which was caused by a prior event. Which I think makes sense. And then free will opposes that.

I can see valid arguments for both sides, but would like more resources. Or if anyone wants to give their input. I am by no means a philosophy major, or science (I study design), so don't judge me based on what I've written, but find it really interesting, and would like more information

And
Nov 13, 2011, 02:33 AM
It's not just from the perspective of physics. People are predetermined based on their social circumstance too. What chance does a street kid living in a third world country have of becoming a doctor, for example? This thread might be better suited for the Social issues group here. They may also be able to point you towards resources.

SamIchi
Nov 13, 2011, 02:42 AM
Hmm I'm not really looking to talk about social issues here, maybe as an example, but really I'm looking for the base points of arguments on each side of the debate. This is more about science and philosophy, than social issues...

Something like this was really helpful to my understanding.
http://www.5min.com/Video/Do-We-Really-Have-Free-Will-351686