Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac pakka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hey guys

I currently have an iMac which i use to store and edit my RAW and JPEG images using Aperture 3.

I am considering purchasing a macbook pro. One of the tasks i would like to do is (sometimes) edit the photos from my iMac, make adjustments and change the metadata using the Macbook Pro. I would like all the changes made to be applied to the photos back on my iMac.

Make sense??

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
Hey guys

I currently have an iMac which i use to store and edit my RAW and JPEG images using Aperture 3.

I am considering purchasing a macbook pro. One of the tasks i would like to do is (sometimes) edit the photos from my iMac, make adjustments and change the metadata using the Macbook Pro. I would like all the changes made to be applied to the photos back on my iMac.

Make sense??

Makes sense but unless you are finding a way to share the library, it will be nearly impossible to achieve. External USB or Firewire drive?

guy curlewis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
should be easy enough

aperture 3 allows you to run it on two apple computers in the family - you just need to merge the libraries by plugging in the MBP to your iMac - or so i have been told - i only use iMac so don't know

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
should be easy enough

aperture 3 allows you to run it on two apple computers in the family - you just need to merge the libraries by plugging in the MBP to your iMac - or so i have been told - i only use iMac so don't know

Will not work.. just because they allow you to install it on 5 machines actually, it does not mean the libraries will share.. Aperture was not designed for that.. if you run the library entirely on an external drive it will work but not otherwise. I have tried and for a long time :) we have 3 Macs that should share a library and so far the only reliable mode was external drives...

sapporobaby

macrumors 68000
Will not work.. just because they allow you to install it on 5 machines actually, it does not mean the libraries will share.. Aperture was not designed for that.. if you run the library entirely on an external drive it will work but not otherwise. I have tried and for a long time :) we have 3 Macs that should share a library and so far the only reliable mode was external drives...

You could try an external drive that is networked. This might work. Put the library on a NAS or some sort of network drive and then point to it.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I've used it several times, for this exact reason. My main library is on the iMac, and I export a project so I can work on it on my MBA. Once I'm done with it on the MBA, I can import it back into the main library and things are updated to suit.

This feature is a big reason I switched to Aperture from iPhoto.

mac pakka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
That's that one answered, thanks guys. Definitely going to get that MBP now. I'm also thinking a networked hard drive will be needed. I LOVE Aperture 3!!

Thanks again....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.