PDA

View Full Version : How to only keep iTunes music on external hard drive?

Kendo
Nov 13, 2011, 08:34 AM
Since the MacBook Air has limited space as it is, I want to keep my music on an external hard drive. But when I drag my music from the external hard drive into my iTunes library, it seems to copy over onto the hard drive which isn't ideal.

This doesn't happen on my Windows machine. Is there a setting in OS X that I'm not seeing?

xxBURT0Nxx
Nov 13, 2011, 08:35 AM
you have to tell iTunes which location you want your library in. (external hdd in your case)

Plug your external HDD in

open iTunes, click iTunes at the top, go to preferences.

Click on the Advanced tab

next to iTunes Media Folder Location click change, navigate to your external HDD

Make sure both boxes (Keep iTunes Folder Organized, and Copy Files to iTunes Folder) are checked

Click OK

Kendo
Nov 13, 2011, 08:40 AM
you have to tell iTunes which location you want your library in. (external hdd in your case)

next to iTunes Media Folder Location click change, navigate to your external HDD

Make sure both boxes (Keep iTunes Folder Organized, and Copy Files to iTunes Folder) are checked

Click OK
What does Copy Files to iTunes Folder do?

xxBURT0Nxx
Nov 13, 2011, 08:42 AM
What does Copy Files to iTunes Folder do?
exactly what it says, copies the music to your iTunes Media Folder so that when you import your music to iTunes it will always be there. You can delete it from the original location after you have imported the music if this box is checked.

deepakvrao
Nov 13, 2011, 08:42 AM

Click OK

Works great for me. I have a network HDD [Seagate GoFlex Home]. 2TB and works great on my home wifi.

LeandrodaFL
Nov 13, 2011, 12:42 PM
Works great for me. I have a network HDD [Seagate GoFlex Home]. 2TB and works great on my home wifi.

How beautiful, you can serve all PCs with music this way.

my music library is 5GB so I have no problem keeping it in my local volume

glen e
Nov 13, 2011, 01:04 PM
where are the tunes located on my MBA that I can eliminate once I've done the above?

also I watched it copy for a few min, but not long... - how do I verify the tunes moved to my HDD? all I can see on my HDD is a foldr called "auto add to itunes"...only 90K - I have about 16gig in tunes...

am I missing that all this above is AFTER I copy my itunes folder to the hard drive?