Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Hi,

I'm a recent switcher - I've been using a pretty loaded 1.42 mini for a while now - ordered it the day they were announced. The only option I didn't take was the 1gig of RAM. It seemed overpriced at the time. Anyway, the 512 performed fine at first, but recently things have been slowing down - more spinning beachballs, more lags b/t clicking and responding, etc. I repair permissions every now and then but nothing seems to help.

FWIW I did upgrade to Tiger, which caused a noticeable slowdown, then to 10.4.1 which helped bring it back to about the point it was before I upgraded to Tiger.

With 3rd party 1gig sticks now available for about $100 I was wondering if it would help speed things up for me. I don't do much in the way of demanding stuff, but I typically like to have all the following apps open all the time:

MSN chat
iChat
Mail
Calendar
Address Book
Firefox (several tabs)
and sometimes iTunes too

Am I really over taxing things so much or is something else bogging me down? What do you guys think?

TIA,
TM

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
More RAM always helps.

You should be able to run all those apps with 512, but I'm sure you still are having some pageouts.

Next time you're experiencing a normal system load, open Terminal, type "top", and look to see how many "page outs" you have.

That's a good indicator if you need more RAM: if it's zero, you don't need any, a low number, you probably don't need any, and if it's a large number, you probably need some.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Thanks guys.

Wow when I typed Top in terminal it said I had 68 processes going, and 'stuck' read 5, then slowly counted down to 1 and stayed there. Didn't see any reading for 'page outs' though.

I think I'll get that 1gig stick - it's not THAT much money and if it helps it'll be $ well spent...

TM

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I'm just about sick of the number of RAM threads there are.
YES 1GB is better than .5GB *Shock Horror* :eek: :eek:
These forums do have a search function - crazy eh!

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Wow thank you so much for your oh so considerate reply. It may not have occured to you but did you ever stop to consider the possibility that after a few searches I could not find an existing thread/post that spoke specifically to my circumstances?

I was not asking if more ram helped in general. If you read my original post it should be clear that I'm looking for solutions to a specific problem I've experienced: a system slowdown.

I was asking about added ram as a possible solution for said problem. I also specifically asked if there were other thoughts as to what might be causing the problem, and what solutions might exist.

I always associated gradual system slowdown with life in the PC world. I must admit I'm quite disappointed that my mac - despite keeping it fairly lean and clean in terms of 3rd party apps and gew gaws - has markedly slowed down in only a few months of use. I don't do anything especially taxing for the system as far as I'm concerned.

But thanks for bitching about what you consider to be redundant threads instead of offering educated insight into possible solutions.

TM

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Well soorryyy!
Why didn't you call the thread "Slowdown with a Mac Mini and Tiger" and then specify your machine then?

Do you notice the slowdown after a log out/in?
Terminal right now:
61 total, 2 running, 59 sleeping

i.e. NONE stopped. I don't think chucking more ram will help too much except maybe take more time before you notice the slowdown.
Pageouts:
124367(0) pageins, 44309(0) pageouts

What are the names of the "stopped" processes? - Once you have names I can help more.

heidilux

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2003
OH
James Philp said:
I'm just about sick of the number of RAM threads there are.
YES 1GB is better than .5GB *Shock Horror* :eek: :eek:
These forums do have a search function - crazy eh!

way to welcom the switchers... sheesh

I also just purchased a 1.42 mini and was interested in EXACTLY his title for this thread. I've been using macs for 18 years, I probably knew the answer to his question, but I"M always interested in finding some new insight that might just pop up.

cheers,

heidilux

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
heidilux said:
way to welcom the switchers... sheesh

I also just purchased a 1.42 mini and was interested in EXACTLY his title for this thread. I've been using macs for 18 years, I probably knew the answer to his question, but I"M always interested in finding some new insight that might just pop up.

cheers,

heidilux
To be honest the thread was just titled badly. You see i tried to make up with my above post!
There ARE about 1000001 threads on RAM - how much you should have, what brand, where it's cheap etc etc.
This guy's problem (IMO) is probably not RAM - so I tried to help - oh well!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.