Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
Wow.

at first i bought the blackberry and thought damn this is a really nice phone. it will help me organize my life...hmmm maybe i should get the treo instead.

well this thing is incredible. i thought it would be a drag using the stylus but you dont even need to. most the time i can just use my fingers on the touch sensitive display. you KNOW apple will be back in this game soon. it really is like a laptop. i dont need my laptop with this thing.

anyway. im posting here to see if any fellow mac users have any tips on syncing/software/methods of use.

best phone ive ever had. im gonna get so much more done now.

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
beatle888 said:
Wow.

at first i bought the blackberry and thought damn this is a really nice phone. it will help me organize my life...hmmm maybe i should get the treo instead.

well this thing is incredible. i thought it would be a drag using the stylus but you dont even need to. most the time i can just use my fingers on the touch sensitive display. you KNOW apple will be back in this game soon. it really is like a laptop. i dont need my laptop with this thing.

anyway. im posting here to see if any fellow mac users have any tips on syncing/software/methods of use.

how easy would this be to use for a 50 year old mom? she recently started working in real estate and now wants a treo / blackberry to replace her old broken samsung phone. I tried convincing her that this would be more than she can handle. She's not really great with computers (pc's that is. I'm sure she'd be fine with a mac ;))

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
TreeHugger said:
how easy would this be to use for a 50 year old mom? she recently started working in real estate and now wants a treo / blackberry to replace her old broken samsung phone. I tried convincing her that this would be more than she can handle. She's not really great with computers (pc's that is. I'm sure she'd be fine with a mac ;))

well, if she has arthritis it might be too difficult but it would work great for her field. if here hands are small she could navigate mostly by touch screen. i do it with my big fingers. its not too difficult to learn. i figured everything (applications) out in one night.

if she goes for it set her up with a to-do/calendar app that combines these two functions. for some reason their seperate apps and it sucks to have to go to my to-dos from my calendar. why cant i see to-dos in my calendar? also, you will need a contact manager since the only way to view contacts is if you press the phone button then press contacts. i want to be able to access everything to-do/calendar and contacts without having to go back to an application folder.

other then that its perfect. the treo hurt my thumb from all the scrolling with the wheel on the side of the unit to navigate but i liked the look of the fonts better. it had anti-aliasing...beautiful.

tell her to get one and try it for 30 days. i found a link the other day that had the treo 600 for $149 if you activate a mobile plan. i'll find the link and post it by this weekend.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
i couldnt find that stupid link. i swear it was the treo 600 for $149. sorry.

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
beatle888 said:
i couldnt find that stupid link. i swear it was the treo 600 for $149. sorry.

Well *without* a plan you can get the 600 model for 329 @ http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=1034EU&cat=PDA
Generally ive seen with a plan for like 200; so I'm sure its possible to get it for 149 (you can normaly talk the people down anyway)

and *without* a plan you can get the 650 model for 700 or so
With a plan it comes to 399... If anyone can find the 650 model for like 500 or so without a plan; id go buy one... but so far I dont think that'll happen so i'm going to probibly just get a Motorola Razr.

Now if it was 149 for the 650 model, id be aufally suprised.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 3, 2002
andrebsd said:
Now if it was 149 for the 650 model, id be aufally suprised.

what are the real world differences between the 600 and the 650? i cant really see that much of a difference. i know the 650 has a removable battery. but isnt it pretty much the same thing? is the functionality better or just memory upgrades and stuff like that?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have a 600 and love it, just haven't had time to learn it.

Does anyone know if this thing has an alarm clock? I can't find one.

Prolly have to look for an app.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
I think the 600 doesn't' have Bluetooth. Not sure if the memory size is different. 650 all the way.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
beatle888 said:

Once you realize how many pointless yet fun games there are, you'll just forget about your work. That's why i don't use my PDA anymore :rolleyes:

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
beatle888 said:
what are the real world differences between the 600 and the 650? i cant really see that much of a difference. i know the 650 has a removable battery. but isnt it pretty much the same thing? is the functionality better or just memory upgrades and stuff like that?

bluetooth and double screen resolution, different memory architecture and slightly improved keyboard

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
iGary said:
I have a 600 and love it, just haven't had time to learn it.

Does anyone know if this thing has an alarm clock? I can't find one.

Prolly have to look for an app.

No alarm clock comes with the T600. I use to put items in my calendar to function as an alarm.

Now I use TreoAlarm (http://www.treoalarm.com). It can download the weather forecast right before the alarm goes off. This is probably the coolest app on my T600.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
beatle888 said:
if she goes for it set her up with a to-do/calendar app that combines these two functions. for some reason their seperate apps and it sucks to have to go to my to-dos from my calendar. why cant i see to-dos in my calendar? also, you will need a contact manager since the only way to view contacts is if you press the phone button then press contacts. i want to be able to access everything to-do/calendar and contacts without having to go back to an application folder.

I don't know if the 600 has this, but the 650 should have the updated palm os with agenda view in calendar. it allows you to see your meetings for the next three days plus any to-do items for that day. it should be default on your calendar, if you open it with the hard button.

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
I just got the 650 and i also just subscribed to the

messaging service client they now offer with it, has anybody seen it ?? Its called Send Word Now and you pay a yearly fee depending how many minutes you want and you can send messages to how hundreds of people in a matter of seconds voice and text !! very cool. You can access it by the treo, telephone, web and email.

PB 17" 1.5ghz/1gbram

http://www.sendwordnow.com

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
MacInTO said:
No alarm clock comes with the T600. I use to put items in my calendar to function as an alarm.

Now I use TreoAlarm (http://www.treoalarm.com). It can download the weather forecast right before the alarm goes off. This is probably the coolest app on my T600.

Thanks for the info.

I use my cell phone (well I used my old one) as an alarm clock all the time!

Appreciate it.

Gary

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Bozola said:
Anyone else having problems downloading treoalarm from their site???

I couldn't get it last night, either.

I also want to figure out how to get the pictures off of it onto a Mac (Supposedly a Windows-only feature. :rolleyes: )

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Bozola said:
If you have a SD card and a SD reader, you can transfer them to the card and read them via the reader.

Yeah, I wonder if the images are even worth it, though. :)

I have a pile on my desk a mile high. I'm sure once I get caught up a bit, I can dig into the phone and start using it to its potential.

Anyone have good links for free Palm apps, forums etc.?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
I just got a PalmTreo 600 this week and love it. No alarm clock is a bother though since I've been using my cell as an alarm clock for years now. I'll go to the link for the TreoAlarm that was mentioned above to see if that will do the job.

On another note:
I just put an SD card in my phone the other day, but when I am hooked up to my Mac I cannot access it to put files on it or take files off of it. I'd like to add a few photos and songs (for ringtones) to the phone. Does anyone know how to do this? Do I have to buy an SD card reader? (hopefully not).

Thanks!

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
beatle888 said:
Wow.

did you get a 650?? With what carrier?? did you sync it with your mac, and did you have any problems? does it have a speaker phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.