Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Does any one else's do this?

My ATV seems to turn itself on, then off about five seconds later. All day. I've had it over a year and it seems to be doing this recently. I notice the light come on, then go off.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Mine doesn't do it as often as yours but, from time to time, for no reason at all, it'll turn itself on. Well, at least the light on the box comes on. When I go to HDMI input on my TV, there's nothing on the screen, so I then have to press and hold the Play/Pause button (or Menu, I don't remember) until the menu comes on and then I just put it to sleep on my own.

If it's doing it all day long, you should probably call Apple and see if they can help, or at least make an appointment at your local store and have a Genius take a look at it.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Mine doesn't do it as often as yours but, from time to time, for no reason at all, it'll turn itself on. Well, at least the light on the box comes on. When I go to HDMI input on my TV, there's nothing on the screen, so I then have to press and hold the Play/Pause button (or Menu, I don't remember) until the menu comes on and then I just put it to sleep on my own.

If it's doing it all day long, you should probably call Apple and see if they can help, or at least make an appointment at your local store and have a Genius take a look at it.

Mine does the same thing, if I switch to the HDMI on my TV, I still have to push a button on the ATV remote to get the menu to come on.

It works fine otherwise. It comes on/off maybe a couple times an hour. Maybe a little more. Not too sure. Just seems weird.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Mine does the same thing, if I switch to the HDMI on my TV, I still have to push a button on the ATV remote to get the menu to come on.

It works fine otherwise. It comes on/off maybe a couple times an hour. Maybe a little more. Not too sure. Just seems weird.

Yeah, that definitely isn't normal. Mine does it about once a week and it annoys me to death because there's no reason for it, and I know nothing in my computer or phone are potentially causing it. Take it to the Genius Bar, it can't hurt to ask and have them diagnose it for ya.

Oman

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2008
Yep...same here,,,,i just ignore it now. There are multiple iDevices in my house so i was thinking that someone mistakenly hit the airplay button on their device but then corrected however the apple tv stayed on.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I think it has something to do with HDMI chat with the TV. Mine does it but only while the TV is on (Samsung 55" LED). Seems harmless but if someone has more insight, I would like to hear it.

ncarnall

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Mine too, but only a couple of time per week. Very annoying just can't be arced to find out what it is. Would be good to hear what a Genius thinks it is though.

Mr. Luigi

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2011
Same Here...Annoying

Same Here.

Interestingly, I have 2 Apple TV 2's and since the Apple TV 2 update that came out in Dec. 2011 one doesn't turn on by itself nearly as much anymore. In fact, I have it set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of use and it now pretty much does that. The other Apple TV 2 is just as bad as before. It's almost always on. Which makes me think that this has something to do with different TV's "talking" to the Apple TV 2 in different ways via their HDMI connections. The Apple TV that now works normally is connected to a Sony 1080P HD DLP TV-last model made before Sony committed itself to flat screen LCD TV's. The one that is still not functioning properly is connected to a Flat Screen Panasonic 1080P HD Plasma TV. This is a newer model by several years compared to the Sony.

I have learned this trick.

IMHO, it is a PIA to turn on the TV, change the input on your TV to the Apple TV 2 to see the Apple TV 2's output on your TV screen to find "Sleep Now" and engage it. I then realized I could memorize the steps on the Remote to get me to "Sleep Now" so I wouldn't have to turn on the TV to see the Apple TV's menu to get to "Sleep Now."

First I click on the Menu button.
Then I click the Right Arrow FIVE times.
Then I click the Down Arrow FIVE times.
Then I click the select button (the big button surrounded by the up, down, left, right buttons).

Don't press the buttons super fast or the Apple TV 2 may not register the presses on the remote. Remember, you're not seeing what is going on via your TV screen.

The Apple TV then goes to sleep. Till next time. :)

Still, it's a crazy, annoying thing that the Apple TV 2 does this...at least with certain TV's.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Same Here.

Interestingly, I have 2 Apple TV 2's and since the Apple TV 2 update that came out in Dec. 2011 one doesn't turn on by itself nearly as much anymore. In fact, I have it set to go to sleep after 15 minutes of use and it now pretty much does that. The other Apple TV 2 is just as bad as before. It's almost always on. Which makes me think that this has something to do with different TV's "talking" to the Apple TV 2 in different ways via their HDMI connections. The Apple TV that now works normally is connected to a Sony 1080P HD DLP TV-last model made before Sony committed itself to flat screen LCD TV's. The one that is still not functioning properly is connected to a Flat Screen Panasonic 1080P HD Plasma TV. This is a newer model by several years compared to the Sony.

I have learned this trick.

IMHO, it is a PIA to turn on the TV, change the input on your TV to the Apple TV 2 to see the Apple TV 2's output on your TV screen to find "Sleep Now" and engage it. I then realized I could memorize the steps on the Remote to get me to "Sleep Now" so I wouldn't have to turn on the TV to see the Apple TV's menu to get to "Sleep Now."

Then I click the select button (the big button surrounded by the up, down, left, right buttons).

Don't press the buttons super fast or the Apple TV 2 may not register the presses on the remote. Remember, you're not seeing what is going on via your TV screen.

Still, it's a crazy, annoying thing that the Apple TV 2 does this...at least with certain TV's.

I know it's an old thread, but maybe you'd like to know that just pressing and holding the select button for about a second sends the ATV2 to sleep...

almlof

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012

Oh my, how did you miss the quick sleep?
Sorry mate, just had to comment on that.
Back to the real issue. Does anyone have an answer for this? Why does ATV decide to take itself sort of halfway out of sleep mode?
In my case it's pretty random. Some times the light comes on pretty much directly after I make an effort to turn my ATV completely off. Other times it basically just sits tight, no lights all good.
My major issue/concern is the power useage. My ATV gets warmer during this lights on session, so it's not in sleep mode any more.
Has anyone rapported this issue as a bug to apple?

fatal1980

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
Oh my, how did you miss the quick sleep?
Sorry mate, just had to comment on that.
Back to the real issue. Does anyone have an answer for this? Why does ATV decide to take itself sort of halfway out of sleep mode?
In my case it's pretty random. Some times the light comes on pretty much directly after I make an effort to turn my ATV completely off. Other times it basically just sits tight, no lights all good.
My major issue/concern is the power useage. My ATV gets warmer during this lights on session, so it's not in sleep mode any more.
Has anyone rapported this issue as a bug to apple?

Mine does this too.. both the ATV 2 and 3.

I just assumed it was checking apple servers for software updates... although it does it quite often. I would assume it would check once a day or once a week.

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
2 and 3 does it all the time. Used to wonder why they were always on but then realized it was just catching my eye when it was.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Strange that this can't be fixed in a software update?! None of my other HDMI devices does this. :confused:
I have just filed a bug report to Apple asking for the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.