Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping that someone can make some suggestions for a couple of issues that I am having with Mail 2.0.1 and my work IMAP account which was fine in Entourage (I'm using Mail since I really need the Spotlight search which is missing in Entourage). The features that I am missing at the moment are the following and I hope someone can explain how to replicate them in Mail:

1. I have yet to find how to Purge deleted emails from the IMAP server. I can delete the emails in Mail but they don't seem to disappear on the server. In fact, if I look at my account in Entourage I can see the deleted emails with a line drawn through them. How can I set Mail to Purge deleted emails from the server?

2. The space alotted to us is pretty small (50MB doesn't go very far) so I want to store and work with my email locally. In Entourage I had setup a rule that moved all new email directly to the Inbox on My Computer. So far I have been unable to work out a way to replicate this feature in Mail despite the number of options in the Rules section. Is it possible to move mail as soon as it arrives in a specified mailbox/folder?

To be honest, I'm likely to move back to Entourage as soon as a Spotlight plug-in is available but since this may be a while I really need help with this. Google isn't being particularly helpful at this moment but I am sure I am not the only person who wants to use Mail in this way.

Any suggestions?

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
Yeah, POP3 would be pretty useful but not something on offer. To be honest, if they knew I was using a Mac then our IT department might freak...

Anyway, the "Permanently erase deleted messages" when "Quitting Mail" seems to have done the trick for my first issue. I had had this option set to "One day old" but that didn't seem to do anything and I hadn't even thought to at least try setting it to when "Quitting Mail". It's a bit of a shame that Mail doesn't appear to have an explicit button or menu option to perform this action on-demand (as Outlook and, to a degree, Entourage has). Still, this solutioin will work for me, so thanks.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
That's too bad about not offering POP, since that's what you need. I'm not sure what to do for automatically moving it. My guess would be to make a new Mailbox with the location being "On My Mac", and then make a rule to move everything there. There doesn't seem to be a special "On My Mac" inbox in mail. Hope that helps... Mail in 10.4 really bugs me.

Edit: Oh, and if you don't know about rules, that's just in the preferences, just add a new one, make the settings be "if any of the conditions are met:" and set it to "account" and then select the account name.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.