Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teknologee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Currently, I have 2011 27" iMac, late 2009 mac mini (which i think just died) and 1 aTV2 and a drobo w/4 2TB drives with all movies/music/tv shows on it. I did have the mini connected to my living rm 50" tv with the drobo as my media server. I was trying to encode w/HB on the mini and the fan kept running very loud. So I have tried researching it and sounds like my mini logic board died. Everytime I plug the power cable into it, the only thing it does is the fan comes on very loud, nothing else. So any help there would be great, but on to my real question: What should I get or use for my media center/server?
I am trying to decide if I should use my iMac as the server and get another aTV(1 for BR and 1 for living rm). Or get a new Base model 2011 mac mini and put that back to my tv in the living rm and keep my aTV2 in the BR? I love the mac mini and I could afford either the mini or aTV2 but am having trouble deciding which is better for me. I would also like the media server to handle all my media needs (like downloading, ripping, encoding, tagging into iTunes) and be available all day. My wife and I both have iPhones and iPads, so airplay/mirroring is cool and I have AEBS and AExpress. So sorry for the long post but thanks for reading it and for your suggestions/considerations. I hope this is clear enough to understand my needs and situation. Any different angles or points of view that I am missing would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Option 1) iMac + two aTV2 - w/iMac being media server on all day
Option 2) iMac + one aTV2 + 2011 mac mini -w/mini being media server and on all day.

I also have a post at 123macmini but wanted to add it over here to get some more suggestions. Thanks

Wrathh1965

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
I still think that a Mac Mini is the more reasonable option with the iMac being overkill.

The 2009 Minis had a better Superdrive than the 2010/11 models (including the iMac) and run up faster and begin your rip several minutes faster than newer models.

Having said that, I found new 2010 Minis at Future Shop ($530) here in Calgary and picked one up (still 2 left at the McLeod store - as of Friday - if anyone is interested).

Teknologee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2011
Wrathh1965 thanks for your reply. I am still leaning towards the mini. I am just trying to decide if I should save the money on the mini and get an aTV2. Then just setup the iMac to do all of the powerhouse of encoding/ripping/downloading since its processor is better and more RAM. I just don't want to leave my iMac on all the time, run it down by doing all the processing work, increase the power consumption or burn something up.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
I'd say that a dedicated mini server would be nice, but your iMac with 2 ATVs plan will work fine as well.

I say that because I currently use a MacBook Pro (2009, 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo w/ 4 GB RAM) to do EyeTV recording and auto-exporting to iTunes (which is somewhat processor instensive). This serves 2 ATV2s (living room and bedroom), with one of them being jailbroken. When the MBP is transcoding to iTunes, some of the other open programs like iPhoto may slow a little bit, but it's not all that bad.

For me, cost was an issue, and once I figured out this setup served our family needs, I nixed my idea of getting a mac mini. I'd imagine a newer MBP or a newer iMac would have more than enough processing power to handle yoursetup without the need for another computer.

Just my two cents.

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I have pretty much an identical setup- mac mini and a drobo. I would stick to that.

I don't know how you split your stuff- but I use Plex for all video and iTunes for all music.

iTunes does a reasonable job with music- I also use a iTunes Tuner to get all album art etc.

Plex does quite a good job for TV shows etc. The new beta version is quite solid, although I would like to be able to apply my other skins etc.

My iTunes video purchases- 150 films and about 500 TV episodes I run through an ATV2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.