PDA

View Full Version : Hate to be anal but I just reformatted my MBA with a fresh OS X Lion.

Kendo
Nov 14, 2011, 06:28 PM
I am reinstalling GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto but can't seem to remember if they were on the Dock and what position they were under. Can someone please post a screenshot of the default locations for those 3 apps on the dock? They are in Launchpad but I want to put them in the Dock. Thanks.

Edit - Also where is it exactly in Launchpad? Thanks.

TheRealDamager
Nov 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
I am reinstalling GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto but can't seem to remember if they were on the Dock and what position they were under. Can someone please post a screenshot of the default locations for those 3 apps on the dock? They are in Launchpad but I want to put them in the Dock. Thanks.

Why in the world do you care?

oneMadRssn
Nov 14, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't have the answers to your questions, but screen shots on reviews such as engadget's will probably have it.

tiwizard
Nov 14, 2011, 08:26 PM
http://9.mshcdn.com/wp-content/gallery/macbook-air/macbookair2.jpg

Mr Dobey
Nov 16, 2011, 06:02 PM

Anal to the extreme......

Brandon0448
Nov 16, 2011, 07:26 PM

elbow deep

Maclver
Nov 16, 2011, 08:20 PM

Not really... I am the same way on my MBA, iPhone and iPad... Its not being Anal its having things in a orderly fashion the way they originally were.

Christopher387A
Nov 16, 2011, 09:47 PM
I am the same way. With every update, I keep my iPhone home screen to the default. Drives me insane when I go to use someone's phone and the app icons are all over the place and I have to hunt for them. :p

Stein357
Nov 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm the same way, people just don't understand.

snowwhite007
Nov 19, 2011, 12:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ball deep

TheJing
Nov 19, 2011, 04:10 AM
If you didn't know where they were why do you care?

halledise
Nov 19, 2011, 05:46 AM
be nice people :D

they are on page 1 of launchpad - but you can go shift+command+A to open your Applications folder and then drag them to your Dock from there.

entirely up to you the way you customise Lion

X5-452
Nov 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
Wow.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this level of retentiveness. :D

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 11:32 AM
If anything, I get out of my way to undo whatever crap Apple puts in the dock. But if you wanted to be so anal about having a "store" like out of box experience, why didn't you just go at the source instead of asking ?

http://images.apple.com/ca/macbookair/images/overview_hero_gallery_software.png

geekygeek
Nov 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
All these replies and only one answer. Launchpad is thing where the interface is iOS like. Do a 5 finger grabbing motion on the trackpad and use fingers to scroll between pages.

halledise
Nov 19, 2011, 01:10 PM
All these replies and only one answer. Launchpad is thing where the interface is iOS like. Do a 5 finger grabbing motion on the trackpad and use fingers to scroll between pages.

how to get apps from Launchpad into the Dock is to do the '5 finger grabbing motion on the trackpad' that you mention and then once the apps are wobbling, click and drag (normally) the app to the Dock.

yet going direct to Applications folder and dragging from there is infinitely easier, imho.

miggitymac
Nov 19, 2011, 01:30 PM

If you did a clean reinstall of Lion, without restoring from a backup, then the dock apps should be in their default location. Then when you install iLife, the apps will also go into their default positions on the dock automatically.

iRCL
Nov 19, 2011, 01:34 PM
This is why everybody thinks Mac users are a bunch of retards.

Maclver
Nov 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
This is why everybody thinks Mac users are a bunch of retards.

Really? And your on a Mac forum for what reason?

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 03:50 PM
Really? And your on a Mac forum for what reason?

Because he owns a Mac probably ? Why else would he be on a Mac forum ?

----------

You didn't understand the OP at all. It's not that he wants to know how to get Apps into Launchpad, it's that he wants to know their exact position in Apple's default installed image.

So much for criticizing others about not answering the OP. :p

Troneas
Nov 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
perhaps the OP is not that retard after all maybe he wants to sell his machine and wants to do it properly with everything set up in the manner it came originally.

Doctor Q
Nov 19, 2011, 04:07 PM
Perhaps Apple spent millions of research dollars looking for subtle productivity gains depending on the order of icons. We should probably all leave them in the default order, just in case.

Kendo
Nov 19, 2011, 06:17 PM
Perhaps Apple spent millions of research dollars looking for subtle productivity gains depending on the order of icons. We should probably all leave them in the default order, just in case.

Wouldn't surprise me if they did. In fact, the order of the icons are probably considered more important than the exact amount of curvature on an iPhone.

I read a few weeks back about how Steve Jobs was so nutty, he called an exec at Google because the Google iPhone icon had a different blue than the one used in their website logo.

KnightWRX
Nov 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if they did. In fact, the order of the icons are probably considered more important than the exact amount of curvature on an iPhone.

What about us folk that don't use any of the default apps though ? Studying how to arrange icons for "productivity" is pointless because no 2 users uses the same combination of apps to be productive with.

With the default dock, I would have no way of launching my applications besides spotlight or browsing down to /Application.

Neg3dB
Nov 19, 2011, 10:05 PM
People love their 'new car smell' so it is not that unusual to want that 'new mac look'.

FieldingMellish
Nov 20, 2011, 05:33 AM
Has anyone ever, while working fast, saw the puff and sound of an item dragged from the dock and not know which item just got accidentally removed?

TheJing
Nov 20, 2011, 07:37 AM
Has anyone ever, while working fast, saw the puff and sound of an item dragged from the dock and not know which item just got accidentally removed?

Nope. But if you can't notice which one it was chances are it shouldn't be there in the first place.

2IS
Nov 20, 2011, 10:29 AM
Not really... I am the same way on my MBA, iPhone and iPad... Its not being Anal its having things in a orderly fashion the way they originally were.

Yes, really.

Doctor Q
Nov 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, the Finder's Undo menu choice doesn't let you reverse that action. Apple should have made that work.