PDA

View Full Version : Do Macs Play DVD-RAM

mashinhead
May 19, 2005, 11:20 AM
Do macs play dvd-ram media? and if so and i wanted to copy one in two ways is it possible.

Can i digitize footage from a dvd or a dvd-ram in Final cut pro..if so how.

And can i copy a dvd-ram just buy inserting it, copying the data to the desktop, ejecting it, inserting a dvd-r and copying it on to that. without using FCP, but useing toast or something?

Cold_Steel
May 19, 2005, 05:14 PM
Try looking up the Apple computer that you have at apple.com and see if it says that the drive supports DVD-RAM.

Just a thought.

To answer your other questions, im not sure.

Hope this helps,

Matt

heidilux
May 19, 2005, 05:47 PM
As a rule, they do not. However, my desktop (originally a 500MHz G4 Sawtooth) does. It was an option on the Sawtooth in early 2000 I believe. That said, I'm sure you could find one to buy... even apple-branded maybe.

, heidilux

slooksterPSV
May 19, 2005, 05:51 PM
DVD-RAM is old and useless technology now. Burn to DVD+/-RW's They last longer.

mduser63
May 19, 2005, 06:07 PM
DVD-RAM is old and useless technology now. Burn to DVD+/-RW's They last longer.

Have you actually used DVD-RAM? It's no older than DVD+/-R/RW, and is intended for a different type of use. It's truly random access, like an optical hard drive, and works very well for what it's intended to do. Panasonic's DVD recorders and DVD camcorders use it too. In a Panasonic DVD recorder you can use a DVD-RAM disc to do time slip recording even (pause, rewind, fast forward TV even while the disc is still being recorded). It's far from useless.

Some G4 PowerMacs had DVD-RAM drives available as an option, but recent models don't. You can probably buy an external drive that will work though.

slooksterPSV
May 19, 2005, 06:44 PM
I could see using it as RAM, but it'd still be slow right?........*thinking*..... yeah, I think it would be.

Pismo
May 19, 2005, 06:55 PM
Isn't DVD-RAM media expensive compared to DVD+/- R(W)? I'm sure if has it's advantages but I think it's just as easy (and cheaper) to burn to regular DVD-R's.

James Philp
May 19, 2005, 07:07 PM
DVD-RAM is expensive. It's perfect for the Panasonic players - my dad has one. It's faster than R/W.
You may find an external drive that supports it.
I wonder, what application were you thinking of using it for? As far as I know, it is almost exclusively used in DVD player/recorders.

P.S. - The surface of a DVD-RAM looks weird! - or at least the panasonic ones do.
P.P.S. - It didn't work in my iMac G4

skubish
May 19, 2005, 07:50 PM
There is really no point to using DVD-RAM.

Macs have hard drives which are much more effecient and faster with the RAM part. Remember a DVD player has just 1 head and spins at what, 500 rpm tops. Hard drives have 4-8 heads and spin at 7200rpm.

Plus DVD-RAM is not supported by many computers and DVD players so you would be out of luck in that department.

Please explain why you want DVD-RAM?