PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Games running off a PowerMac G5 @ E3 2005 (See lower Ph...

MacBytes
May 19, 2005, 11:22 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Photos
Link: Xbox Games running off a PowerMac G5 @ E3 2005 (See lower Photo's) (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050519122223)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

fabsgwu
May 19, 2005, 11:41 AM
Now that's funny!

adamfilip
May 19, 2005, 11:45 AM
im not surprised.

it shows two g5's I bet ones just a backup

Macmaniac
May 19, 2005, 11:53 AM
Of course with the pictures they squeezed in some mac bashing as well. Its too bad that the G5's could not take full advantage of the games, that would be sweet if they could.

AlmostThere
May 19, 2005, 11:53 AM
but Apple should be quite happy
Hmmm, probably not in an article that states,
developers had to significantly reduce the image quality of their demos - which explains their lack luster appearance

I certainly wouldn't be too happy about seeing my top of the line $3000+ flagship machine being described as lacklustre compared to a $500-ish games console :eek:

adamfilip
May 19, 2005, 11:59 AM
its different

its like saying oh my $50,000 lexus isnt as fast as a Kawasaki Ninja mortorcycle that cost $9,000

the console is taylored just for games and the powermac isnt.
its that simple

benpatient
May 19, 2005, 12:00 PM
note that on the next page they show an ATI demo of the 360 in working form, wireless controller and all...

Chobit
May 19, 2005, 12:02 PM
Um.. they specifically say the graphics were toned down because of the video cards in the G5s. It's not that the G5's weren't powerful enough, its that the next generation ATi Graphics card used by the XBOX 360 can't yet go into a powermac.

Dippo
May 19, 2005, 12:05 PM
Because the G5 systems can only use a GeForce 6800 Ultra or an ATI Radeon X800 XT, developers had to significantly reduce the image quality of their demos

What is that supposed to mean?

It sounds to me like the writer is saying that the G5 sucks because it can only use those two cards. Of course the writer failed to mention that faster cards aren't even made for the PC yet much less the G5 (not including the X850 XT, it's not really a next generation card like will be in the Xbox)

kupua
May 19, 2005, 12:22 PM
I too wuz at E3 and can confirm these photo's. I wuz planning on doing the same. I too thought that wuz kind weird.

I don't think he wuz MAC bashing. Just indicating that it wuz not running at full potential of a real Xbox 360, and that the G5's didn't have that full on either.

Kinda ironic that they are ALL going to the base of the power PC chip, Intel and AMD have been shut out all together!

AlmostThere
May 19, 2005, 12:26 PM
And then taking your Lexus to the Isle of Man TT to impress the ladies ... ;)

Lacero
May 19, 2005, 12:31 PM
...and here I am still playing first person shooter games on a Nvidia 5200 fx.

PlaceofDis
May 19, 2005, 12:35 PM
and im still happy with Quake III, well some of the time at least

xtbfx
May 19, 2005, 12:57 PM
I too wuz at E3 and can confirm these photo's. I wuz planning on doing the same. I too thought that wuz kind weird.

I don't think he wuz MAC bashing. Just indicating that it wuz not running at full potential of a real Xbox 360, and that the G5's didn't have that full on either.

Kinda ironic that they are ALL going to the base of the power PC chip, Intel and AMD have been shut out all together!

Is it really that hard to spell "was"?

skid_mark
May 19, 2005, 01:17 PM

I would have to second that!

2GMario
May 19, 2005, 01:20 PM
everyone is looking at the negative... why dont we try to look at the positive for a second

they used G5's as the machine to play the games... and its only downfall came at the video card with AA

i have no hard facts to back anything im about to say, but lets speculate...

... that the G5 was running Panther or Tiger
... that someday the ATI cards will be available for the G5
... the boot record of the 360 games isnt that much different from a regular cd / dvd

you could then assume, whether MS likes it or not, more game developers would be more inclined to port games to the G5 (seeing how they dev'd on one) And or 360 games will play on G5's out of the box (wishful thinking) or with a minor hack.

totally speculation, all of it, but this may be a very good thing for Apple and the G5. more G5's sold can bring down the price, and more games for the G5 can increase market share.

i know quite a few people who absolutly love the G5 and would buy one in a heart beat if it ran DirectX or more games were written for it

my 2 cents.
-Mario

Iroganai
May 19, 2005, 01:33 PM
2gmario, it is said those G5s are running custom Windows NT kernel and Direct X, so it'll be very difficult to port those games to OS X.

However, one unlikely scenario is that MS sells that NT for G5 for everyone. Then we may be able to run those games on our G5, but then we'd have to dual-boot.

Another unlikely scenario is that MS ships the NT G5 which run inside a window in OS X, just like Virtual PC...

winmacguy
May 19, 2005, 01:37 PM
Ill "Third" that!
I take it they dont teach written or spoken English in schools anymore, because if they do he must have missed the classes.

narco
May 19, 2005, 01:41 PM
... and they say you can't use a Mac for gaming.

Fishes,
narco.

eric_n_dfw
May 19, 2005, 02:19 PM
... and they say you can't use a Mac for gaming.

Fishes,
narco.
No, just not the Mac OS! <duck> :p

macnulty
May 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
So, what does this mean that MS is running G5's rather then Xbox 360's?
No units available to use? Only idle speculation.

Stella
May 19, 2005, 04:06 PM
Wake me up when you see Xbox games running under Mac OS, then i'll get excited.

So what if XBox games run on Apple Hardware - XBox 360 uses G5 processors, hardly magical is it!!

Apparently the G5's you see are running some kind of NT kernel.

el greenerino
May 19, 2005, 04:53 PM
'Was' is outdated. It sounds like 'wuz' when I say it, how do you say it?

Language evolves whether you like or not! :D

CrackedButter
May 19, 2005, 04:56 PM
Look at the keyboard, it takes more effort to type "wuz" instead of was as well! What gives?

JordanNZ
May 19, 2005, 06:11 PM
Wake me up when you see Xbox games running under Mac OS, then i'll get excited.

So what if XBox games run on Apple Hardware - XBox 360 uses G5 processors, hardly magical is it!!

Apparently the G5's you see are running some kind of NT kernel.

The Xbox 360 does not use G5 processors.

brap
May 19, 2005, 06:13 PM
What's really amazing is that this is still news.

cwtnospam
May 19, 2005, 10:15 PM
'Was' is outdated. It sounds like 'wuz' when I say it, how do you say it?

Language evolves whether you like or not! :D
Language does evolve, but spelling is another matter. If you meant something other than 'was' it would be much more acceptable and even necessary to spell it differently. Since you did mean 'was,' you were simply wrong.

cwtnospam
May 19, 2005, 10:17 PM
The Xbox 360 does not use G5 processors.
Yes it does. That's old news.

Stridder44
May 19, 2005, 11:58 PM

No it doesnt. Thats old news too.

iJaz
May 20, 2005, 12:28 AM
Really, I didn't know that! Apparently not even MS or IBM knows that!
Here's from xbox.xom:

Xbox 360 System Performance Specifications

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

Three symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
VMX-128 vector unit per core; three total
128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
1 MB L2 cache

It says PowerPC but NOT G5! :rolleyes:

Stella
May 20, 2005, 03:59 AM
No it doesnt. Thats old news too.

it uses a derivative of the 970 processor.. close enough (imo)!!

Stridder44
May 20, 2005, 08:32 AM
your mom goes to college!

iJaz
May 20, 2005, 12:47 PM
it uses a derivative of the 970 processor.. close enough (imo)!!
Well, if that's what you think, then fine.
I have heard that the G5 precessors can process more than twice as many instructions per clock cycle than the Xbox processors. It's just what I have heard.