Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Just thought some of you might like to know that I've updated the Automating DVD and Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding and Tagging) tutorial which shows you how to automate DVD and BD encoding through Automator actions and Services. Enjoy!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED for Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Update 2013-12-01

Release Notes
Batch Rip Actions for Automator 1.1.1

RECOMMENDED: Before upgrading, it is recommended that you uninstall and remove any previous versions.

IMPORTANT: This update includes new Service workflows. You will need to install the new workflows in order to complete the update.

1.1.1 build 280
  • Provides general fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and functionality of Batch Rip Actions for Automator
  • New Batch Encode Event Scheduler! Replaces the iCal event scheduler. Easily setup a daily schedule to automatically run Batch Encode at the time you set
  • Movie tagging has been updated to support The Movie Database APIv3!
  • New Help via the Help menu and Mac's Help Center
  • Sadly, Fairmount is no longer supported by the developers. A working binary is now included in the application bundle.
  • libdvdcss library is now mandatory, replaces the need for VLC. A download link is provided in the download menu.
  • Updated to support Mac OS X Notification Center. Growl is still supported, but may not support all new features.
  • Other things that I've already forgotten about

Batch Encode (Updated)
  • VLC is no longer supported by HandBrake for decryption, libdvdcss library is now manditory. Link provided in the download menu.
  • Added support to burn-in blu-ray PGS subtitles via HandBrakeCLI. BDSub2Sup has been deprecated in this version.
  • MKVtoolnix chapter, sub and audio extract/muxing has been deprecated in this version. HandBrake and MakeMKV have got it handled.
  • Encode 1 now includes a unique preset called MakeMKV that will create an MKV file from optical and folder sources using MakeMKV. The resulting MKV file will be used as the source for Encode Targets 2-4. Useful if you'd like an uncompressed MKV file that includes all audio and subtitle tracks.

• Added Alternate Language option. Useful for those who desire more language options. Also used as a fallback when Native Language is not available.

• Added! Default Audio Track Selection:
    • Default Audio: sets the default audio track to the source's "default" audio track. Useful for films where the main audio differs from your native language. Like if the main audio is Japanese and you want English subtitles.
    • Native Language: selects an audio track (if available) that matches the native language preference set in the workflow. If an audio track is not available in your native language, it will try to find one that matches the alternate language preference set in the workflow. If neither are available, it will fallback to the title's default audio track.
  • Added! Additional Audio Track Selection:
    Batch Encode will now include additional audio tracks if selected.
    • Native Language: Selects all audio tracks in your native language.
    • Alternate Language: Selects all audio tracks in your alternate language.
    • Native & Alternate: Selects all audio tracks in your native and alternate language.
    • All Tracks: Selects all audio tracks audio available regardless of language.
    • Mixdown: Will mixdown additional tracks to 2-channel DPL2 for a smaller file size. If disabled, any selected multi-channel tracks will be passed-through as AC3.
  • Added! Burn-in Subtitle Track Selection:
    The Burn-in option will burn-in subtitle tracks that match the language preference set in the action. Burned in subtitles are written on top of the image permanently.
    • None: Will not burn any subtitle track.
    • Auto Detect: Burns in forced-only subtitles (if available) in your native language for short foreign language segments. Additionally, if the default audio track language is different from your native language, will burn in subtitles in your native language (if available).
    • Forced Only (Native): Burns in forced-only subtitles (if available) in your native language.
    • Native Language: Burns in subtitles in your native language (if available) regardless of the default audio track language.
    Note: Only 1 subtitle track can be burned-in to the video. Additonal text-based subtitles can be passed-through. See the HandBrake wiki for more info.
  • Added! Pass-thru Subtitle Track Selection:
    The Pass-Thru option will pass-thru "text-based" subtitle tracks that match the language preference set in the action.
    • Native & Alternate: Selects all audio tracks in your native and alternate language.
    Note: Due to mp4 file limititations and HandBrake capabilities, picture-based subtitles cannot be passed-through. They can however be burned-in, but only 1 track can be burned-in to the video. See the HandBrake wiki for more info.
  • Updated Encode targets and presets.
  • Updated to support Mac OS X Notification Center.

Batch Rip (Updated)
  • Sadly, Fairmount is no longer supported by the developers. A working binary is now included in the application bundle.
  • libdvdcss library is now manditory, replaces the need for VLC. A download link is provided in the download menu.

Add Movie Tags (Updated)
  • Updated to support The Movie Database APIv3.

Add Movie Poster (Updated)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers!

mac.jedi

Last edited:
Reactions: rhett7660

drmjc

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
Hi mac.jedi,
firstly thanks for creating such a great toolkit! The new UI is really slick too.

I stumbled across this >6mths ago & felt it really hit the nail on the head. I've made some changes, as I found my MBP too slow to rip my DVD collection, so i built a PC with 4 DVD drives. I ripped discs to VOB's stored on a large NAS, and using some highperformance computing infrastructure, ripped them to m4v using a handbrake + SGE script that I wrote.
Now I have ~800 m4v files which need tagging...

Would you be able to point me in the direction of making 2 changes, or perhaps be interested in implementing these?

First, my files are named with a slightly different pattern to yours, most often due to a different hyphenation style in movie sequels, eg "X-Men The Last Stand (2006).m4v" (your style) vs "X-Men - The Last Stand (2006).m4v" (my style). These movie names are ever so close that it seems like a minor update to allow the 'add movie tags (filename)' action to find these matches

Second, can an option be added to the 'add movie tags (filename)' service to not stop on error. It would be great to select all movies, hit 'tag' then for the moviesthat couldn't be found, run the 'add movies tags (search)' service later.

sh is not my strongest programming language, so i'll make a start, but look forward to you pointing me in the right direction?

cheers,
Mark

mdisibio

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
mkvinfo output parse bug

Hi, I think the mkvinfo output has changed recently, and now batchEncode.sh has trouble finding the correct track IDs to encode.

On one of my files mkvinfo is outputting additional info after the track ID:
| + Track number: 1 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0)

In getTrackListWithinDuration, when sourceType is file, it no longer returns just the "1", but the rest of the output within the parentheses, which generates a lot of garbage downstream.

I fixed it by adding an additional sed command to remove everything beginning with the open paren:

sed -e 's|^Track number: ||' -e 's|,.*||' -e 's|(.*||'

Not sure how common this is, but I wanted to share this change with you.

kyevey

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2013
Output creates additional tracks

Hi, I think the mkvinfo output has changed recently, and now batchEncode.sh has trouble finding the correct track IDs to encode.

On one of my files mkvinfo is outputting additional info after the track ID:
| + Track number: 1 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0)

In getTrackListWithinDuration, when sourceType is file, it no longer returns just the "1", but the rest of the output within the parentheses, which generates a lot of garbage downstream.

I fixed it by adding an additional sed command to remove everything beginning with the open paren:

sed -e 's|^Track number: ||' -e 's|,.*||' -e 's|(.*||'

Not sure how common this is, but I wanted to share this change with you.

@mdisibio - I too am having this problem with additional output files for the tracks within the paren's (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0) on all MKV files (both TV Shows and Movie files).

How do I add the additional sed command that you've provided in your post? I've opened the batchEncode.sh and located the "getTrackListWithinDuration" line item, but unsure where and how to add this comment.

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Kyevey

MatthewAMEL

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2007
Orlando, FL
Look like Batch Rip Actions has been abandoned.

themoviedb.org has deprecated the 2.1 API and BRA no longer returns movie results.

I have attempted to contact macJedi, but it says his last forum visit was in 2011.

Sad day. I use this thing daily. :(

scifi451

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Agree I have also tried to contact him over PM on this site and no luck. Also had no luck on tracking down any other way of contacting him.

evanturk

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2013
API 3.0 Changes

I have been looking into the changes in the API 3.0 in comparison to API 2.1 that the batch ripper uses from themoviedb.org and from what I can tell the changes shouldn't require much alteration to the automater actions (I may be wrong). I have messed around with the actions somewhat but have failed to make it workable. I am thinking we will definitely need mac.jedi back to help us!! On a side note does anyone have an alternative to this that works even remotely as well? I haven't found one that is as stable or functional at all. Thanks...help us mac.jedi you are our only hope...

Stoube26

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
USA
Might as well continue work on my TV show collection, TVDB's API is still current.

I've received a v3 API key from tmdb so all I need is to find out which script(s) to input it in.

sitrucz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
I’ve gotten a developer id and looked at some of the code. From my point of view it’s a major re-write as all of the code was based off of xml. XML is no longer supported in v3 of the api just JSON is supported.

One of the calls is listed below and generates a json output of searching for a a movie.

Code:
curl --include --header "Accept: application/json" "http://api.themoviedb.org/3/search/movie?api_key=6fe61adfe0152d554c6aeede029a53a0&query=Field%20Of%20Dreams" | grep '{' | python -mjson.tool

The code above returns:

Code:
{
    "page": 1, 
    "results": [
        {
            "adult": false, 
            "backdrop_path": "/zXXGo9SGPQLsmdewEYV6WvShLcM.jpg", 
            "id": 2323, 
            "original_title": "Field of Dreams", 
            "popularity": 3.21848624892798, 
            "poster_path": "/ps5B8ZNSFvqLczD5e4Yh3whV66B.jpg", 
            "release_date": "1989-04-21", 
            "title": "Field of Dreams", 
            "vote_average": 7.1, 
            "vote_count": 37
        }, 
        {
            "adult": false, 
            "backdrop_path": null, 
            "id": 17533, 
            "original_title": "UFC 26: Ultimate Field Of Dreams", 
            "popularity": 0.2, 
            "poster_path": "/y16iwuDVmQpyEd8CxBcFBloPmV8.jpg", 
            "release_date": "2000-06-09", 
            "title": "UFC 26: Ultimate Field Of Dreams", 
            "vote_average": 10.0, 
            "vote_count": 1
        }
    ], 
    "total_pages": 1, 
    "total_results": 2
}

Again, all of the custom shell scripts are expecting xml and not JSON so it may be a quite a task to re-write. If anyone has made progress let us know.

Has the code been released as open source?

sentineljones

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Bummer, batch rip actions are completely broken in Mavericks. :( A system looking prompt comes up asking for the location of "Applescript Runner". I've found a couple of random posts with suggestions on how to fix very specific applications, but nothing general enough that I can sort out.

sentineljones

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2013
Bummer, batch rip actions are completely broken in Mavericks. :( A system looking prompt comes up asking for the location of "Applescript Runner". I've found a couple of random posts with suggestions on how to fix very specific applications, but nothing general enough that I can sort out.

Correction - the batch rip actions do seem to work if I cancel the prompt for the Applescript Runner location. Sorry about that. Still digging into what is going on.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Batch Rip Actions for Automator Updated

Just thought some of you might like to know that I've updated the Automating DVD and Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding and Tagging) tutorial which shows you how to automate DVD and BD encoding through Automator actions and Services. Enjoy!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/805573/

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED for Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

Update 2013-12-01

Release Notes
Batch Rip Actions for Automator 1.1.1

RECOMMENDED: Before upgrading, it is recommended that you uninstall and remove any previous versions.

IMPORTANT: This update includes new Service workflows. You will need to install the new workflows in order to complete the update.

1.1.1 build 280
  • Provides general fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and functionality of Batch Rip Actions for Automator
  • New Batch Encode Event Scheduler! Replaces the iCal event scheduler. Easily setup a daily schedule to automatically run Batch Encode at the time you set
  • Movie tagging has been updated to support The Movie Database APIv3!
  • New Help via the Help menu and Mac's Help Center
  • libdvdcss library is now mandatory, replaces the need for VLC. A download link is provided in the download menu.
  • Updated to support Mac OS X Notification Center. Growl is still supported, but may not support all new features.
  • Other things that I've already forgotten about

Batch Encode (Updated)
  • VLC is no longer supported by HandBrake for decryption, libdvdcss library is now manditory. Link provided in the download menu.
  • Added support to burn-in blu-ray PGS subtitles via HandBrakeCLI. BDSub2Sup has been deprecated in this version.
  • MKVtoolnix chapter, sub and audio extract/muxing has been deprecated in this version. HandBrake and MakeMKV have got it handled.
  • Encode 1 now includes a unique preset called MakeMKV that will create an MKV file from optical and folder sources using MakeMKV. The resulting MKV file will be used as the source for Encode Targets 2-4. Useful if you'd like an uncompressed MKV file that includes all audio and subtitle tracks.

• Added Alternate Language option. Useful for those who desire more language options. Also used as a fallback when Native Language is not available.

• Added! Default Audio Track Selection:
    • Default Audio: sets the default audio track to the source's "default" audio track. Useful for films where the main audio differs from your native language. Like if the main audio is Japanese and you want English subtitles.
    • Native Language: selects an audio track (if available) that matches the native language preference set in the workflow. If an audio track is not available in your native language, it will try to find one that matches the alternate language preference set in the workflow. If neither are available, it will fallback to the title's default audio track.
  • Added! Additional Audio Track Selection:
    Batch Encode will now include additional audio tracks if selected.
    • Mixdown: Will mixdown additional tracks to 2-channel DPL2 for a smaller file size. If disabled, any selected multi-channel tracks will be passed-through as AC3.
  • Added! Burn-in Subtitle Track Selection:
    The Burn-in option will burn-in subtitle tracks that match the language preference set in the action. Burned in subtitles are written on top of the image permanently.
    • None: Will not burn any subtitle track.
    • Auto Detect: Burns in forced-only subtitles (if available) in your native language for short foreign language segments. Additionally, if the default audio track language is different from your native language, will burn in subtitles in your native language (if available).
    • Forced Only (Native): Burns in forced-only subtitles (if available) in your native language.
    • Native Language: Burns in subtitles in your native language (if available) regardless of the default audio track language.
    Note: Only 1 subtitle track can be burned-in to the video. Additonal text-based subtitles can be passed-through. See the HandBrake wiki for more info.
  • Added! Pass-thru Subtitle Track Selection:
    The Pass-Thru option will pass-thru "text-based" subtitle tracks that match the language preference set in the action.
    Note: Due to mp4 file limititations and HandBrake capabilities, picture-based subtitles cannot be passed-through. They can however be burned-in, but only 1 track can be burned-in to the video. See the HandBrake wiki for more info.
  • Updated Encode targets and presets.

Batch Rip (Updated)
  • libdvdcss library is now manditory, replaces the need for VLC. A download link is provided in the download menu.

Add Movie Tags (Updated)

Add Movie Poster (Updated)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheers!

mac.jedi

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

JohnBiggs

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014

mac.jedi

Can you tell me how to use these Batch Rip Actions with a DVD mounted using OSX's "remote disk" as I do not have an optical drive in my Macbook :-(

Thanks,

--John

gilly3597

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
I'm having trouble trying to get it to rip my blu-rays again

Okay, so I've been using BatchRip to rip my blu-rays and it used to work perfectly ~ my last rip was on December 10, 2014. And now I'm trying to use it again and it won't detect any tracks anymore. I tried inserting a disc that I've ripped before to see if it was just the disc that wasn't working but it still won't work. I've tried restarting and re-installing everything, but it still won't detect any tracks.

Last login: Thu Apr 9 21:09:37 on ttys000
/Users/Scully/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchRipTmp.sh ; exit;
Gillian:~ Scully$ /Users/Scully/Library/Application\ Support/Batch\ Rip/batchRipTmp.sh ; exit;

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
batchRip.sh v1.1.1 (281)

Start: Thu Apr 9 21:24:51 PHT 2015
TV Show Output directory: /Users/Scully/Movies/Batch Rip TV
Movie Output directory: /Users/Scully/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
Use only MakeMKV: Yes
Encode HD Sources: Yes
Full BD Backup: No
Growl me when complete: No
Eject discs when complete: Yes
Skip disc if not decrypted in: 120 seconds
Copy TV Shows between: 30-50 mins (for MakeMKV)
Copy Movies between: 80-180 mins (for MakeMKV)

WILL COPY THE FOLLOWING DISCS:
LOST_SEASON3_DISC2 (BD-ROM : TV Show)

*Processing BD-ROM: LOST_SEASON3_DISC2
No tracks found between 30-50 minutes (TV Show).

PROCESSING COMPLETE
Disk /Volumes/LOST_SEASON3_DISC2 ejected
End: Thu Apr 9 21:25:10 PHT 2015

logout

[Process completed]

I run on OS X Yosemite 10.10 and the latest version of HandBrake

squarewombat

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
Hi, Thanks so much for making this tool. Currently I am ripping a set of TV Series, which consist of 7 seasons, each with several discs.

Each time I load a disc, it would ask for:
- The TV Show's name
- It then looks up the database and asks me to select from the list
- It then asks me for the S1D1 which I must enter based on which season / disc is inserted.

Then once that disc is done, when I inserted the next disc, it would ask me all over again.

I wonder if there is a way to just do the above once, and it would keep the information and just increase the disc number, until I'm done with the whole season.

So ideally it would:
- Start from scratch, ask all those info above
- When S1D1 disc is done, insert another disc, it won't ask for anything and continue on as S1D2, then another S1D3, and so on.

I guess for Season 2 it might need to re-ask again but it would be great if it doesn't have to, and there's just a way to say S2 and reset to S2D1, S2D2, etc.

Thanks!

jamiesmithnc

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Has anyone figured out how to get this to work with the newly released handbrake? They seem to have changed many of the flags. Trying with:

-X 1920 -Y 1080 -e x264 --quality 25.0 --rate 30 --pfr -a \${audioTrack},\${audioTrack} --aencoder faac,copy:ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,none -R Auto,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 --loose-anamorphic --decomb --ipod-atom --audio-copy-mask aac,ac3,dtshd,dts,mp3 --audio-fallback ffac3 --modulus 2 -m --x264-preset medium --h264-profile high --h264-level 3.1 --gain 10

I get no sound in my encode.

elgoocho

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
Is this program still available? I just switched computers and don't have the file anymore. Above link takes me to 404 page.

sitrucz

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2011
Does anyone know how to change the profile I currently have a Roku Express+ latest model and want to use a profile for that. My old was Apple TV 2 but I don't see all the presets in the workflow. I just see a limted amount of profiles in the workflow as opposed to the command line version of handbrake.

jamiesmithnc

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
Has anyone gotten this to work on Mojave? I am getting a signature error for anything I try to run :(

upload_2018-10-28_9-24-0.png

chris-d

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
Has anyone gotten this to work on Mojave? I am getting a signature error for anything I try to run :(

I've had the same error since moving to Mojave and after a lot of unhelpful google searches trying to find a fix, I decided to dive into fixing it myself. In short, I was able to resolve the issue using the following command in Terminal:

Code:
find /Applications/Batch\ Rip\ Actions\ for\ Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator -name CodeSignature -exec gzip {} \;

This should work as long as the user you are signed in as was the one to install the Batch Rip Actions for Automator App. If not, you'll likely have to change the owner to yourself before it will work.

This command essentially removes (technically it stores it in a compressed file in case it is ever needed later) the CodeSignature file from each of the automator actions stored in the app. Apparently it's better for the file to not have a signature at all than have one that is for some reason invalid (I'm assuming the signing key expired in this case.)

If, for some reason, you need to undo the fix then simply run this command:

Code:
find /Applications/Batch\ Rip\ Actions\ for\ Automator.app/Contents/Library/Automator -name CodeSignature.gz -exec gzip -d {} \;

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.