PDA

View Full Version : Apple quietly makes video move, offers music videos via iTun...

MacBytes
May 19, 2005, 02:32 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Videos
Link: Apple quietly makes video move, offers music videos via iTunes Music Store (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20050519153220)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Blackheart
May 19, 2005, 03:38 PM
you could create your own video jukebox. It would be like MTV without the adverts.

I think this is misleading... it should be:

It would be like MTV... only it would have music videos.

Nermal
May 19, 2005, 04:43 PM
And simultaneously, the iTunes Music Store - in all the dozen or so countries in which it operates - sprouted "video singles", which include a 30MB movie file with no protection. (It already offers nearly 100 streaming videos.)

As far as I can tell, iTunes doesn't have any streaming videos. If a video gets downloaded to your hard drive, then played, then it's not streaming.

KrysBaz
May 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
My partner and I often have parties, as I'm sure most of the rest of the world do.
Eurovision this week, my 30th Next week .
(OK I'll get to the point)

Being that we're projecting a visualiser show via itunes for these, I just can't wait to make a playlist of vids instead of just tunes, yes I know I can download some already (legal or not) but if huge back cataloges are released then that would be amazing, maybe not for the bank balance, but from a A/V Party view... wow. :D

Bob Knob
May 19, 2005, 05:48 PM
I think this is misleading... it should be:

It would be like MTV... only it would have music videos.

"Blackheart delivers a kick to the groin"
"MTV is down"
"1...2...3..."
"Your winner - Blackheart!!"

rikers_mailbox
May 19, 2005, 06:25 PM
If video killed the radio star, will iTunes kill the video star?

iJaz
May 20, 2005, 06:55 AM
As far as I can tell, iTunes doesn't have any streaming videos. If a video gets downloaded to your hard drive, then played, then it's not streaming.
Actually, iTMS USA has 544 videos that you can stream!
iTMS Sweden has 8...
And you can stream the videos without having an account.

Phobophobia
May 20, 2005, 07:50 AM
If video killed the radio star, will iTunes kill the video star?

Drugs killed most video stars I can think of.

hmmfe
May 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
Drugs killed most video stars I can think of.

I'd actually say, plane crashes is #1. #3, of couse, is ham sandwiches.

mrsebastian
May 20, 2005, 01:48 PM
vpod?! as in video :D

iMeowbot
May 20, 2005, 01:53 PM
Right, and Apple will likely continue to avoid using streaming for videos. Without control over the network connections, streaming QuickTime is subject to the exact same "buffering...." plague that people like to associate with other steaming video systems, and Apple would surely like to leave the association over there.

PlaceofDis
May 20, 2005, 01:59 PM

the US store does have streaming videos, and video singles as well which are downloaded.

i wonder if this is an experiment on Apple's part, or if this is pointing to something bigger thats coming along

iMeowbot
May 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
the US store does have streaming videos, and video singles as well which are downloaded.

Those aren't really streams, they're "hidden" downloads into your temp folders (and, since iTunes 4.7.1, somehow altered so they can't simply be renamed to .mov as in the past).

The way you can tell the difference between the downloaded and streameed QT videos without hunting for open files is that the status bar fills up, and you don't have to re-download if you rewind and play again.

(There are some AppleScript thingies around that get around that new limitation, BTW.)

wdlove
May 20, 2005, 03:34 PM
I hope that this is just the beginning a video downloads from Apple. So far I haven't ran across any of the music video's. Do they allow a preview the same as with music?

Ugg
May 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
I hope that this is just the beginning a video downloads from Apple. So far I haven't ran across any of the music video's. Do they allow a preview the same as with music?

Yep, on the left side of the movie store under the "choose genre" pulldown menu, you'll find "music videos". Some are pretty good. I like "Breathe - 2am" by Anna Nalick.

Abstract
May 21, 2005, 01:15 AM
I like how they're just testing out the waters first. It would be nice if we could watch them on mobile phones and iPods. I think it would be great if these videos can play on more than just your computer, meaning mobiles and iPods would have to take this up before I thought it was useful enough to buy a video.

On the other hand, if there's a very cool video coming out (and I'm rarely impressed with videos anyway), then I may bite.

wdlove
May 21, 2005, 03:44 PM
Yep, on the left side of the movie store under the "choose genre" pulldown menu, you'll find "music videos". Some are pretty good. I like "Breathe - 2am" by Anna Nalick.

That is great, noticed that they allow you to view the whole music video. That really makes it a good deal for $0.99.
:cool:

jsw
May 21, 2005, 03:56 PM
Not to be astoundingly dense, but is there a way to buy or otherwise have offline access to the videos?

A way to swipe the "hidden" movie file would work; I'm just not sure how to do that.

wdlove
May 21, 2005, 04:01 PM
I thought that the video came along with the purchase of the song. Or am I mistaken.

jsw
May 21, 2005, 04:03 PM
I thought that the video came along with the purchase of the song. Or am I mistaken.It certainly doesn't seem to.

chameeeleon
May 21, 2005, 04:51 PM
No no, there are two different types of music videos on iTunes.
1. There are the new ones that are downloaded with purchased songs as a bonus (sometimes with a fee) and that are then added to your library, stationary on your hard drive and viewable offline. There are about 10 of these so far.
2. There are the 500+ music videos in the "Music Videos" section of the store added in iTunes 4.5 last April. These are viewed in the music store window, and cannot be watched offline or downloaded (without a hack).

iMeowbot
May 21, 2005, 07:44 PM
Not to be astoundingly dense, but is there a way to buy or otherwise have offline access to the videos?

A way to swipe the "hidden" movie file would work; I'm just not sure how to do that.

In iTunes before 4.7.1, you could simply fish out the temporary file and rename it to .mov.

With newer iTunes, you need a little helper app that figures out the real URL of the .mov file and opens it with your Web browser. The Applescript described here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050425164738812) works with 4.7.1 and 4.8

(this is for the free videos, it doesn't enable swiping the ones they're offering for sale!)